The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #31
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have to start off with the bright spot for the weekend... my 4 year old (almost five) daughter walked! She finished 3rd in the under 11 age group (out of seven kids) and got the first plaque of the day! I was about as proud of her as I could be! And she loves that award too! She did a small pork tenderloin stuffed with bacon and apple, rolled up, tied, given a pork rub and wrapped in bacon. Smoked in cherry (no apple at the contest). It was a LITTLE dry and not as tender as we would have liked. She had to be coaxed to go up and get the award. She was embarrassed! hehehe!

As for me, not good, guys... There were only ten teams in this. Finished 4th in ribs, 7th in brisket and 7th in chicken. And DAL in pork which shocked the living crap outta both myself and Wayne! Wayne came down to help out give me some pointers and assist at turn-in time. We both though we had NAILED the pork in all three areas and ended up getting HAMMERED by two judges! I'll have to get pictures posted as soon as I can find my cable to download from my camera (daughter lost it at the contest). When I hadn't gotten my name called after the got to the money places (1st through 3rd), Wayne said I had it. We both got pretty excited when 2nd place wasn't me... and when they called someone else for first, I think I was visably unhappy (hope not too bad). Overall, a hugely disappointing 7th place. I felt like I was on an uphill battle with little concentration all weekend. Maybe lack of time to prepare? Maybe 3 contests in 4 weeks? Who the heck knows? Anyway, a definite step backwards. But a learning experience just the same. One thing that was fun... they gave plaques to I believe 7th place and up with money to the top three in each category so even though I didn't finish very well overall, I still got to see how it feels to hear your team name called, walk up and accept an award. I don't HAVE to tell my family and friends around town there was only ten teams! LOL! So I got a 4th and two 7th plaques. Hey, hardware is hardware, right?

To top things off, had a heck of a time getting home. First, I about lost my WSM but got pulled over and secured it. Second, the cover and lid to my Weber Kettle flew off the trailer. My wife was following and was able to retrieve it before it got hit (only a small dent in the rim). Then, my $50 cover to my BSKD started to tear in the wind and before I got home, it had farking shredded and had pieces of vinyl and that nasty cottony stuff it's lined with flying out the back for miles!

Anyway, thanks Wayne for driving all the way down to Harrisonville to support and help me! Your help at turn-in time was awesome! Sharing my Newcastle and sending you home with some Q was a small price to pay for your expertice and experience! You're a great friend!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2005, 07:13 PM   #32
Aeynghus
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats to your girl!

You will be better in the future because of this weekend. It sucks now. Have a couple of brews.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Camel Dung Fueled Campfire.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Schmoaking Monkey.
[size=2][b][i]"If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?"[/i][/b][/size]
[/font]
Aeynghus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #33
chad

Congrats to your daughter!

Sounds like you had an educational weekend. Ponder it and continue planning for next season.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #34
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats to the whole "Jeff family".

Did you realize you can now claim "Award winning BBQ" if you want???
Details are not important--"Award Winning" is "a fact" now with your walks for the plaques
And--"walking" is addictive--right?????

Congrats on a fun and educational weekend, and that is what it is all about!

Post the full results when ya get them--OK????

TIM

ps--tie your chit down on the way home--a whole lot cheaper
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #35
Jeff_in_KC

Oh I have the sad stuff...

Overall:
1. Sticky Fingers (guy used to cook with Grillas)
2. Smokin Roy's
3. Midwest Scuba Que
4. Smokin Salmons
5. Gators Git R Dun BBQ
6. Pork Patrol
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Big D Smokin Pit
9. Husker Fanatics
10. Butt Busters

Chicken:
1. Midwest Scuba Q
2. Smokin Salmons
3. Smokin Roy's
4. Sticky Fingers
5. Pork Patrol
6. Big D Smokin Pit
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Gators Git R Dun BBQ
9. Husker fanatics
10. Butt Busters

Ribs:
1. Smokin Roy's
2. Midwest Scuba Que
3. Gators Git R dun BBQ
4. BIG CREEK BBQ
5. Sticky Fingers
6. Pork Patrol
7. Smokin Salmons
8. Husker Fanatics
9. Big D Smokin Pit

Pork:
1. Sticky fingers
2. Smokin roy's
3. Midwest Scuba Que
4. Big D Smokin Pit
5. Pork Patrol
6. Husker Fanatics
7. Smokin Salmons
8. Gators git R Dun BBQ
9. BIG CREEK BBQ (this was the joke we thought)
10. Butt Busters

Brisket:
1. Sticky fingers
2. Smokin Roy's
3. Smokin Salmons
4. Gators Git R dun BBQ
5. Big D Smokin Pit
6. Pork Patrol
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Husker Fanatics
9. Midwest Scuba Que
10. Butt Busters

My Scores:

CK 877 775 677 799 787 776 (it wasn't any better than those scores either)
RI 979 889 879 899 889 889 (perfect 9's on tenderness)
PK 887 567 568 687 878 787 (WTH?? I'm stunned)
BR 967 878 877 757 768 877 (to be honest, the 877 was probably closest - a bit dry but good looks and very tender)

Missed first pay day by 1.2 points in ribs.
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 10-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #36
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Please realize that these are the conditions that make you a good competetor!!!

There will come a time when you say " I rember the Harrisonville Contest "

You are on the road to learning competion Q!! It is a curvey road with many a pot hole, but---

Learn from every cook

Don't make drastic adjustments

Keep a good log of times, temps. weather conditons ect.

Relax and know that everyones tastes are not the same and that you are cooking for not what you think is great Q, but what the majority of the people who are judging want to taste.

And hope to get your Q to the right table.

JMO & .02 worth

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #37
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
Did you realize you can now claim "Award winning BBQ" if you want??? Details are not important--"Award Winning" is "a fact" now with your walks for the plaques

And--"walking" is addictive--right?????
Umm heck yeah! And even if it wasn't TOO meaningful given the contest circumstances, it's still something to hear your team name called and get to walk up, get an award and get your picture taken. If nothing else, it makes you want to go out and try harder next year!
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 10-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #38
Jeff_in_KC

Thanks, Jay. Good points. And I did learn a bit from the guy next to me, Rick Salmon (Smokin Salmons). He has been in well over 100 contests he said and used to cook for the Oklahome Joe's Team. He still works in their restaurant in Olathe, KS. The man knows his chit and he's a chicken Q'in machine!

I think I've been fortunate at all three of my contests to have had some good teams next door (VooDoo at the Royal, Steve - Denver Cajun BBQ Crewe - at DeSoto and now Rick Salmon).
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 10-23-2005, 08:35 PM   #39
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Umm heck yeah! And even if it wasn't TOO meaningful given the contest circumstances, it's still something to hear your team name called and get to walk up, get an award and get your picture taken. If nothing else, it makes you want to go out and try harder next year!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #40
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Jeff,

Keep your chin up. Very few of us would have tried it on our own. Even though Wayne came to help you have my vote for sheer courage. Kudos to Wayne for helping you out also. Sometimes, not all great efforts are rewarded. Feel good about what you learned and your efforts. It will make you a better chef.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #41
Solidkick

As I told Chick'N'Pig after he finished 63rd at Laurie, "Your time will come." I'm sure that there's some things that you learned this weekend, both on your own and from others. Take it, try it, use what you can, throw out what you don't like, and make it your way of cooking. As BellyBro always says, "any given cookoff", your time will come.

Congrats on a fun weekend.....see you on the cookoff curcuit next year!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #42
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Jeff - sorry to hear about your trip home. I saw you and Tammy along the road but it looked like you were just tying something down.

We had some of your pork for dinner last night - my wife and daughter loved the pork - said it was tastey and moist (even after reheating). Definately didn't merit last place. Just shows that everyone's taste in Q is different and you never know how the judges will recieve your turn-in. I was shocked when they didn't call your name for pork - thought you had a pay day for sure!!
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #43
Jeff_in_KC

Thanks Wayne! You're a good friend to come down and help me like you did! It was greatly appreciated!
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 10-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #44
Jeff_in_KC

Here's a few photos... thanks to Wayne for the box help!!! I learned yet more useful tidbits of contest stuff! And in checking out the photos closer, thanks to Ray for your "contribution" to the brisket! Even though it's in the pork picture, we used it on the brisket and Blues Hog regular on the pork.
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 05-31-2006 at 06:36 PM..

Unread 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #45
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Jeff,

I can tell you now that your pork presentation didn't deserve 5's and 6's. It's funny and sometimes makes you wonder. I wonder if those three judges sat next to each other and looked at each other's score card before giving your mark.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote