喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
davefan360
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default first time in a comp need advice

hello, I am thinking about signing up for my first cookoff. I have never cooked in a comp before so any advice would be good. My team myself and 2 other guys. We will be cooking on a UDS and a smokey mt. We have been practicing to get our times down right but what else should we know? Also what are some of the things that we should bring for the weekend to make life eaiser?

thank you

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Mexi "Q" Tioner
Full Fledged Farker

Great post. I'm in the same boat as yourself and entering my 1st cook-off this sept and entered the rib & tri-tip categories. Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated. Here's a link to the competition I entered.
http://www.blazinhog.com/
Mexi "Q" Tioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

hot water is always a plus. makes cleaning up alot eaiser. get an igloo and fill with hot water
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Go disposable for as much as you can. Have a time line written down. Don't bring it if you don't need it. Ask for help from a neighbor if something goes wrong. Ask before entering someone elses site. Know the rules. Ask questions at cooks meeting or talk with rep one on one after meeting. Have fun but stay focused. Get some sleep. Keith

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Get your entire system written down, create a checklist and follow it. I went to a comp and forgot my brisket rub. Didn't have it all laid out and checked off as it went into the tub.

Assuming it's a KCBS contest, make sure you know the rules, but don't panic over them. They are pretty simplistic and easy to follow, but there are lots of people who don't bother to read them.

Ask the reps at the contest about anything. Let them know what you're planning to do and see if they have tips for you. They've been around the block a time or two and they should know the rules inside and out.

Drink, have fun. Just don't drink too much.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Here are a couple of competition checklists. You may not need all of this, or it may be missing something particular to you, but they are a good starting point.

The best advice I can give you guys, besides have fun, is to do a mock competition in your driveway or back yard. Set up exactly as you plan at the comp and run a full cook with the same timing. Then, whenever you have to go into the house for something add it to your list.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Here are a couple of competition checklists. You may not need all of this, or it may be missing something particular to you, but they are a good starting point.

The best advice I can give you guys, besides have fun, is to do a mock competition in your driveway or back yard. Set up exactly as you plan at the comp and run a full cook with the same timing. Then, whenever you have to go into the house for something add it to your list.
Did you forget to link to some checklists?

"Hold on, if love is the answer you're home" - Daft Punk
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

practice at home. have back up plans/adaptability/what if's in place.

it will be hot, it will be cold, it will be dry, and it will rain. prepare for all of them.

if something doesn't seem right, sit back and take 5 minutes to think about it. unless it's a blzing fire that could cause harm 5 minutes ain't gonna hurt nuthin'.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Did you forget to link to some checklists?
Maybe

http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/checklist.cfm

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Get the book " Startin the fire" from WATG team . They are brethren. And don't forget the Gold Bond powder!

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
Brinkman Gourmet Smoker(retired)
Brinkman 2400 Pro (using sideburner as Charcoal starter)
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
majorlee69
Found some matches.

Default EZ Hott water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooftop bbq View Post
hot water is always a plus. makes cleaning up alot eaiser. get an igloo and fill with hot water

We used a 4qt coffee maker (buffet/resturant style) without the filter and coffee. Hot water every 15mins!! With three bus tubs, wash, rinse, sanatize. With a practice run the weekend before we placed 23rd (I think) outta 34 in our first comp last weekend in Kettering, OH. Couldn't be happier!!

Jeremy
Dirty Birds BBQ

Unread 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

I just finish my first comp last weekend, the biggest mistake I made and I'm sure it cost me was not spending the time to learn to build a better turn in box's. As has already been said make a time line working backwards from turn in times and stick to them. Have fun. If you using those plastic folding tables build leg extension get it up to 36" or something comfortable, my back is still sore I wish I brought a

, but with 3 people you can take turns getting good sleep. It was just me and my 2 kids. so sleeping comfortable within ear shot of pit would have been nice. Have fun. Bring a notepad to write down everything you wish you brought or wish you hadn't. And most important Have fun!!

Just my random thoughts on the subject.
pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
davefan360
Take a breath!

thanks for all the advice. i will let you know how it all goes.

Unread 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

Get a good cooler or a Cambro, finish the big meats early, sometimes they stall for too long when trying to time them. DO NOT make last minute changes because you think you found something wonderful, you didn't. Stick with what you know and go from there, it's a ton of fun.

Unread 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
BBQ Church
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
... DO NOT make last minute changes because you think you found something wonderful, you didn't. Stick with what you know and go from there, it's a ton of fun.

That sounds like good advice
BBQ Church is offline   Reply With Quote