oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Heading to the Jack. Seeking Advice

Heading to the Jack, Help needed!

Just won the State Championship and looks like I have the chance to go to the Jack. Might be once in a lifetime chance so I would like to go.

I will be flying in, not driving from Alaska. I heard it would be best to fly into Nashville and rent an RV. Any thoughts on this? Whom to rent from?

So when should I fly down? Wednesday before the event? What else shall I do or see while in TN?

Any local contacts so I can ship in a few grills? Tent rentals? Tables etc……..

I am a one man show, can I add people to my team or do I have to keep the team the same as when I qualified. Can I have helpers? I did at the state event but I didn’t list them as part of the team.

Never been there don’t know much about it. Any help tidbits would be much appreciated.

Troy
bearnakedbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't help with any info but congrats. keith

Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on the win!! Glad to see another brethren there and doing so well! Good Luck at the Jack!
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

PM me. I know of two RV rental places. One is on the way from BNA to Lynchburg, and the other is a friend of a friend. I'd be glad to help as a Nashville contact, and hope to compete myself:) Let me know what you would need to borrow or have shipped, and we can work something out. After the draw, I'll know more of course.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Also would like to mention that I will be shipping down (3) Green MT Grills (Jim Bowie, the larger grill)

All three of these grills will be up for sale after the event. DISCOUNTED PRICE!!!!! COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If interested, text or call 907-841-0789

Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats and good luck! I am sure you will have a blast.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Way to go on the automatic! Best of Luck.

We will have one bung in the draw for a NC contest, KCBS contacted me about team info...but does anyone know how one goes about confirming that the JD folks have all the info they need?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnakedbbq View Post
Heading to the Jack, Help needed!

Just won the State Championship and looks like I have the chance to go to the Jack. Might be once in a lifetime chance so I would like to go.

I will be flying in, not driving from Alaska. I heard it would be best to fly into Nashville and rent an RV. Any thoughts on this? Whom to rent from?

So when should I fly down? Wednesday before the event? What else shall I do or see while in TN?

Any local contacts so I can ship in a few grills? Tent rentals? Tables etc……..

I am a one man show, can I add people to my team or do I have to keep the team the same as when I qualified. Can I have helpers? I did at the state event but I didn’t list them as part of the team.

Never been there don’t know much about it. Any help tidbits would be much appreciated.

Troy
Hi Troy,
I am no expert on the Jack but we have attended the last2yearsand this will be our first competing. We fly into Nashville from the UK and we are renting an RV from Twin Meadows RV. We are aiming to get there on the Wednesday, spend a few days though in Nashville before that though. We go to the grand ole opry and do a night out in Nashville with the live country music cos we like that. Whilst in Lynchburg book a meal at Miss Mary Bobo's for some good food and hospitality but book now or you will be dissapointed. Go to the bbq caboose cafe and souvenir shops in town. If you can go after the Jack itself as things sometimes get discounted. I don't know if the same applies to U.S. teams but international teams are provided with equipment. You should be able to add to your team. Come say Hi to us and we can share a drink ...from a red solo cup of course...being a dry county. Congratulations!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
DCFIREMANN
On the road to being a farker

Troy I look forward to meeting another first timer. We got the automatic in DC. We will have to raise a red solo cup for this event. I am going to drop by the GEROGE DICKEL DISTILLERY that is only about 20 minutes away. A lot smaller than Jack, so you get to see a lot more. Oh and the sour mash is a lot smoother. I know the master Distiller and will get him to sign a bunch of stuff while I am down there.

Looks like it will be a great time in Lynchburg this year!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
1- JR ENTERPRISES 60-23
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE BBR-79
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE SPK-500
WEBER RANCH KETTLE
2-WEBER 26.75 GOLD KETTLES

The DC Fire Department Firefighting BBQ Team!
DCFIREMANN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Any idea on the size of the BBQ area? I am looking to make reservations on a RV but not sure what size I should get. I am assuming I can park it in my bbq area.

troy

Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFIREMANN View Post
We will have to raise a red solo cup for this event.
THE DAWG
I'd suggest a covered glass. They are pretty serious about the dry county rules.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), Natures Own Charcoal, Bee Sting Honey and BBQ Bob’s Hav’n a BBQ
Special thanks to Snake River Farms for the their support as well.
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Team members have to have cooked a contest with the team, to be added to the team roster.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

It's a public park and no one has to pay to get in. As far as I know they don't check for wristbands like at mim either. If some one shows up he can help but he may not be able to get up the hill or in the parade. I've also heard it said that "friends" can get wristbands but they cost money.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I want to do a one day turkey hunt on Oct 25th. Any thoughts?

Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

My neighbor likes to hunt turkey. He has land not to far from the holler. I can get you in touch....

dmp