The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
enasnidx
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Results/Reflections from my first comp (lots of pics)

Ok, so it was just a little backyard comp, but I had a lot of fun. At the Isanti County Fair (Minnesota) this past Saturday. There were 6 competitors Q'ing spare ribs. It was free to enter, bring your own meat, so it was an easy, low cost trial at competition BBQ. I took 2nd place and was awarded $30 and a rack of ribs.

I took good notes and learned a few things for next time. On to the pron...

I had the UDS set up. It was great getting looks and comments from everyone. None of them had ever seen one before.

Out of the foil and back on the rack...

Sauce is set, time to box it up.

My first turn in box! (not too pretty)

I've got a lot of room for improvement. The ribs weren't quite as tender as they needed to be, but the taste was spot on. Most importantly I had fun and drank beer!

Unread 07-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats bro. We all start somewhere and as long as you had fun...that's really all that matters.

Good job on that 2nd place call.

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
BoneDaddy's
Full Fledged Farker

not to be the judging police, but no gloves when you build the box!
Bone Daddy's: Too Sauced to Pork: Bubba 250R: XL BGE: Lg BGE: Crown Verity 60": CBJ #57193
BoneDaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Congrats. Looking at the box, remember that if possible the meat should sit on top of garnish, not necessarily in the garnish. It starts to get like a forest in there. Also the two outside ribs on the left. Before putting themin the box, try to trim off those excess pieces of meat (clean up the lines). Or, if you cant, reverse the rib top/bottom and put those underneath the top ribs so it's hidden. Presentation/Appearance score is just that. Once a just starts to grab meat that score is complete. You can hid a few sins if you must.

For handling/cutting the meat, get you some $9.50/100 Nitrile gloves (not latex; some people are allergic). You can get 'em at WalMart or online most anywhere, even Amazon.

Unread 07-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

If going to compete get a canopy for protection from the elements- rain and sun Congrats Glad you had fun
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote