The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Does this look like a pork butt to you? [Part 2]

As a sequel to the previous "pork neck with bone without skin" I now present a European cut of pork called "pork neck without bone without speck" with a weight of 7.45 lbs:

Side A

Side B

I think we are getting closer to the real thing, but it's still "European Style".

At the very right in the first picture you can see a small piece of loin, so this cut is clearly further up in the direction of neck / shoulder compared to the "pork neck with bone without skin""pork neck with bone without skin".

Is that the money muscle in the second picture, either at the top left, or the top middle to the top right?

It has been suggested to wrap a boneless butt with butcher twine to keep it from drying out and falling apart, but I do not like that idea, and injected it with a fresh pear juice canola emulsion instead.

The pork neck is already on since the early morning, looking good after 3 hours already with an IT of 160°F. I'll start probing after reaching 190°F, but intend to not pull it before 205°F. A full report will follow.

In two weeks it will be another "European Pork Butt" cut called "pork shoulder roast without bone without skin", so stick with me.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

That top left looks like the money muscle to me.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Top left of 2nd pic is definitely the money muscle, to the right appears to be getting into the neck muscles. You have part of what we consider a "butt" here in the US.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

This cook is already over, the full report can be found here.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is pork collar here, the same thing. It makes for a very good pork product when cooked to pulling temperature. I would love to be able to get a cut like this.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

You're getting closer man.

Can you find schweineschulter?
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
You're getting closer man. Can you find schweineschulter?
The cut next up for trial is called "Schweinsschulterbraten ohne Knochen ohne Schwarte", a whole pork shoulder with bone in surely can be ordered, but I guess that's risky (we don't really have the capacity to eat a quarter pig without guests helping out). I'll have to talk to the meat department manager of Metro next time I'm there, but next weekend is already reserved for brisket and beef ribs.