The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Black Locust???

Well.. i think he might have brought me black locust instead of oak... this stuff safe to use for q? can't find any references to it.. he also brought me a load of good looking cherry too..
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

my first answer is going to be NO!!

At Bash I o r II. HoboPie brought us some wood.. he thought it was black locust, but wasnt sure. It was definatily a hardwood, light color inside similar to hickory, but the bark was deeply ridged, not like an oak or hickory that has more of an overlaping shale type bark. this was deep seperate ridges you can put your fingers into.

It was allready seasoned. We split it and heated it on top of the firebox to see how it smells. Splitting it was difficult. VERY HARD wood.(at least to split).

it was nasty stuff... It smelled like underwear. STUNK!!! Not something we wanted to put anywhere near our food. i tried it several times on other pieces, and it always stunk. Made good firewood, but nothing i wanted anywhere near food.

My advise would be to lay a split on the on the firwebox wood side down(not bark), and heat it for 30-40 mins, not burning, but just getting really hot. Smell it, see if it has a good, sweet, or nutty smell. If it does, then try it on something cheap and where your dinner doesnt depend on it working out. If it smells like underwear, its the stuff we had, and if it smells like something else nasty, let us know about it so no one else uses it. Either way, nasty stuff, save it for the fireplace.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
it was nasty stuff... It smelled like underwear. STUNK!!!
Hey Phil, who's underwear?

No, I don't believe I'd use black locust wood either! The thought of it alone sounds nasty... plus, when it is fresh cut, I've seen a yellowish tint to the wood, like a resin or something. I'd steer clear of it.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

How do you know what underwear smells like? Are you telling a story about yourself here?
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2005, 07:08 AM   #5
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

anyone got a shot of exposed locust they would like to share? this stuff is hard to id from what he left me.
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpsych
anyone got a shot of exposed locust they would like to share? this stuff is hard to id from what he left me.
GIS
Google image search:
http://images.google.com/images?q=bl...=Search+Images

Is this what you are after?
4th page has an end cut.

Unread 10-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
my first answer is going to be NO!!

It was allready seasoned. We split it and heated it on top of the firebox to see how it smells. Splitting it was difficult. VERY HARD wood.(at least to split).
Black locust is prized for fence posts because it is so hard and resistant to decay.

Growing up on the farm we found black locust to dull chain saw chains quickly.

And yes - they are a be-otch to split....to debark.....to hammer fence staples in to.....

Unread 10-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #8
BBQchef33

based on the pics, the stuff i had was not the same, but based ont eh description:

Quote:
The bark on a mature tree is a thick, light gray and deeply furrowed into long rough forking ridges.

It is on the logs I have.. I will see if i still have it.. I think i threw the logs into the woods.

I think your best test is the ole smell test, just heat it on the firebox, but sounds more and more to me like its a no-go.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 10-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81
Black locust is prized for fence posts because it is so hard and resistant to decay.

Growing up on the farm we found black locust to dull chain saw chains quickly.

And yes - they are a be-otch to split....to debark.....to hammer fence staples in to.....
Yep....what racer said. This is what comes to mind when I think of black locust. Even logs split into quarters (with sledgehammers and SEVERAL wedges) would last decades as fence posts. Hammering staples into green posts wasn't that bad, but if you tried it a few years later....like hammering into concrete.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #10
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinms33
Yep....what racer said. This is what comes to mind when I think of black locust. Even logs split into quarters (with sledgehammers and SEVERAL wedges) would last decades as fence posts. Hammering staples into green posts wasn't that bad, but if you tried it a few years later....like hammering into concrete.
I have 4 acres of Black Locust if you want to burn it (but I won't) it does stink. The next go around with the forester will to be rid the area of it and plant Black Walnut.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Exclamation

Black Locust is also toxic to humans.

Wood Reaction Site Potency, Source Incidence
------------------- -------- ---------------- -------------
Black Locust I, N E, S +++, LB C

Reaction: Site: Source: Incidence:
-------------- -------------- ----------------- -----------------
I-irritant S-skin D-dust R-rare
S-sensitizer E- eyes LB-leaves,bark C-common
C-nasopharyngeal cancer R-respiratory W - wood U-uncommon
P-pheumonitis, alveolitis C-cardiac DT-direct toxin N-nausea, malaise

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
BBQchef33

see if this helps ID it.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM