MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Born2Smoke
On the road to being a farker

Default Jack Draw Question/Help

Hello,
My team won our first GC in a Jack qualifying State Championship in Sept 2011 (after the 2011 Draw). Because we won after the 2011 draw, we were put into the 2012 draw. I was told that the KCBS is no longer keeping track of GC winners and entering teams into the Jack draw, and that each team is now responsible for entering their own name. I have done some research and cannot find the procedure on how to do this. Can someone please tell me how I can enter my team into the draw for the 2012 Jack… Is there an entry form?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

KCBS will be helping the folks at the Jack determine qualifying teams for 2012. Your team will receive a letter with application directly from Jack Daniel's. Fill it out and get it in on time. If you fax it, make sure the fax goes through. Congratulations on your win!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

What you heard about team responsibillities is true for The Royal. Contact them if you are interested in going. They may make an exception. Two seperate KCBS Board members have reported in this forum that KCBS is furnishing GCs to The Jack. I hope that helps.

dmp

EDIT: Make that three board members :)

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Born2Smoke

Thanks for your very quick responses. So just to clarify, we will get a letter from the Jack inviting us to the contest, then we need to return it ASAP in order to get into the Draw to be picked. Am I understanding it correctly?

One last question....being that we GC'd in Sept 2011, shouldnt we have already recieved our invitation or do all the invites go out for 2012 at the same time?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

My understanding is the same as yours. We got our GC last October, so are in the same boat. I've looked at past years invites published on the web, and it looks like they come out in mid-August, so I'm waiting until then. If I see people posting about them here and I haven't gotten one, I'll be calling.

I think the reason why they don't come earlier is because all GCs right up through the end of August count, and they wait as long as possible to batch as many of them as possible in the same mailing process. The last few weeks that happen, I guess they handle them some-how.

dmp

Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Born2Smoke

That makes perfect sense....Thank you sir for your help and good luck to you and your team. I hope you get lucky in the draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
My understanding is the same as yours. We got our GC last October, so are in the same boat. I've looked at past years invites published on the web, and it looks like they come out in mid-August, so I'm waiting until then. If I see people posting about them here and I haven't gotten one, I'll be calling.

I think the reason why they don't come earlier is because all GCs right up through the end of August count, and they wait as long as possible to batch as many of them as possible in the same mailing process. The last few weeks that happen, I guess they handle them some-how.

dmp

Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Thank you. The other thing to keep in mind, since you get a bung per GC, an auto if you win seven in the US, and a few other rules, it makes sense to wait until the end so that you have all the GCs on one form per team.

dmp

Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

another Jack question. if a team wins an "automatic" and are pulled from the draw are they still considered a home state team?
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Keep in mind that the rules are unpublished and can change whenever, but.....It partially depends on your definition of "automatic." In general, if a team is automatic, 10 years, seven grands, big four, they do not go through the draw. There are a few situations of which I am not aware which may or may not be considered having gone through the draw, such as the only competition in a state.

My understanding is that if you do not "go through the draw," then you do not count towards the home state rep. Again, I would recommend the reading of a great post on the topic on the CBBQA forum from a couple years ago. Perhaps some one with more knowledge on the subject can enumerate all the ways to get in and which ones are and are not considered "going through the draw."

dmp

Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Keep in mind that the rules are unpublished and can change whenever
the rules are published, they were in the last issue of the Bullsheet.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
another Jack question. if a team wins an "automatic" and are pulled from the draw are they still considered a home state team?
I know Slap Yo Daddy won an "automatic" in Hawaii a few weeks ago because it was the only sanctioned event in the state. I believe that the SYD bung is pulled from from the draw in all of the other states they took GC in.

As a CA team, SYD gets the Hawaii invite but I don't think they represent the state of Hawaii. I may be wrong though.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I had forgotten about the Bullsheet. B-F doesn't publish them on their site:(

dmp

Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
No, they are not. Only teams that have to go through the draw are considered a Home State team. A team that has an automatic entry is not factored into the Home State equation. A perfect example is from last year.

Three Arizona teams won qualifying contests for the 2011 Jack, those being Rhythm 'n QUE, Smoked To The Bone & Whiskey Ranch BBQ.

RnQ won the only qualifier in Idaho so they were an automatic.

Smoked To The Bone won the September 2010 contest in Mesquite, NV and ended up being the only team from a Nevada contest that entered the draw since Munchin' Hogs at the Hilton, who won the Las Vegas contest in May 2011 was an automatic for having won 7 GCs and the team that won the Boulder City contest never submitted their draw paperwork leaving Smoked To The Bone as an automatic from Nevada.

That left Whiskey Ranch BBQ as the only Arizona team who was not an automatic entry left in the draw. Their draw was in Arizona but Sweet Peppers out of New Mexico, who also had won a contest in Arizona, ended up being pulled in the Arizona draw. Therefore, since Whiskey Ranch was the only Arizona team who was officially in the draw and they were not drawn, they were extended an invitation to the Jack as the Arizona Home State Rep.

Simple!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Boochie
Knows what a fatty is.

Do the SAMs club events qualify for the jack?
Boochie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochie View Post
Do the SAMs club events qualify for the jack?

Keep tryin some one will tell ya yes

If you look on the KCBS site it wasnt listed as a State Championship. Some states have blanket proclamations Wisconsin does not . Those states have some good state associations. Wisconsin doesnt. Even tho Uncle Fester is calling organisers and telling them so .
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote