The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I HATE friggin plastic containers

I go through all the efforts to use great rubs, cook meat to perfect temps, and get really juicy and great tasting que.

Then....

I let the leftovers cool and put them in plastic containers in the fridge.

So....

When I want a little late night snack, I open the container only to have all
the condensation from the plastic lid get water all over (Food, table, etc).

If....

I wanted my meat to be rained on, I'd just put it under the farking sprinkler
before I put it in the fridge.

What say brethen? What are some better short term storage options?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

 
PatAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-19-11
Location: Mt. Pleasant S.C.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I still haven't figured it out. I let the food cool properly before it goes in and the same thing happens. I know how you feel, Brother!
__________________
18.5" WSM
Weber SJS
Maverick ET-732
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
yakdung
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: Houston, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
I go through all the efforts to use great rubs, cook meat to perfect temps, and get really juicy and great tasting que.

Then....

I let the leftovers cool and put them in plastic containers in the fridge.

So....

When I want a little late night snack, I open the container only to have all
the condensation from the plastic lid get water all over (Food, table, etc).

If....

I wanted my meat to be rained on, I'd just put it under the farking sprinkler
before I put it in the fridge.

What say brethen? What are some better short term storage options?
Vacuum sealer my brother.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
Shadowdog500
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 06-18-12
Location: Down the Shore!!!
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

My wife sometimes puts a couple paper towels between the food and the lid to stop the rain. Works great on keeping salad fresh and crisp.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
My wife sometimes puts a couple paper towels between the food and the lid to stop the rain. Works great on keeping salad fresh and crisp.

Chris

Haha...stop the rain. I like that.

I'm thinking that may not work so well with meat. The "Rain" would probably get the paper towels to stick to the meat.

Maybe I should burglarize a KFC joint (JK for those that think I'm serious) and get a bunch of cardboard containers....at least I don't see "Rain" when stuff is stored in them.

How does your wife store leftover meat (short term)?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
Vacuum sealer my brother.
Do you actually vacuum suck meat that you will eat the next day? Or even meat that you want to snack on that night?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Shadowdog500
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 06-18-12
Location: Down the Shore!!!
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Haha...stop the rain. I like that.

I'm thinking that may not work so well with meat. The "Rain" would probably get the paper towels to stick to the meat.

Maybe I should burglarize a KFC joint (JK for those that think I'm serious) and get a bunch of cardboard containers....at least I don't see "Rain" when stuff is stored in them.

How does your wife store leftover meat (short term)?
Aluminum foil!

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Aluminum foil!

Chris
Does it stop the rain?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm about ready to buy a bunch of these to throw in with my meat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_123125_123073_2279751_2298327_110708_ex_silica_tn[1].jpg (10.8 KB, 454 views)
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

 
PatAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-19-11
Location: Mt. Pleasant S.C.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I just had to play this:


And this:

__________________
18.5" WSM
Weber SJS
Maverick ET-732
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
mbshop
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 06-24-07
Location: visalia, ca
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

i've just wrapped the meat in some plastic wrap and toss in the frig. no problems.
__________________
george
spam, can't live without it
mbshop is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
yakdung
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: Houston, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Do you actually vacuum suck meat that you will eat the next day? Or even meat that you want to snack on that night?
If it is for the same day, it is normally in a warmer of some type all day. Crockpot or conventional oven at 175. After it cools, it either gets vacuumed sealed or it goes in a ziplock bag. The ziploc bag is rolled removing as much air as possible. BBQ really is kept that long around this house. If it does it gets sealed. I have never encountered a problem as you described.

Good luck,
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

 
Join Date: 11-18-10
Location: USA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
The ziploc bag is rolled removing as much air as possible.

Good luck,
That's the key, remove as much air as possible.
__________________
Rick
J'ville Grill is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
That's the key, remove as much air as possible.
True that...but I'm talking about more meat than would reasonably fit in a ziplock bag.

Anyone ever try wrapping in butcher paper in the fridge? Would it asbsorb too much moisture and fall apart or would it hold up?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

 
PatAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-19-11
Location: Mt. Pleasant S.C.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
True that...but I'm talking about more meat than would reasonably fit in a ziplock bag.

Anyone ever try wrapping in butcher paper in the fridge? Would it asbsorb too much moisture and fall apart or would it hold up?
You know, now that I think about it, it only happens with the plastic lids. I'll do an experiment and see what happens. If I don't use the lid that comes with it and just use plastic wrap, I don't have this problem. I'll check it out and report back.
__________________
18.5" WSM
Weber SJS
Maverick ET-732
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts