What sugar to use?

D

ddog27

In my homemade rub I use brown sugar and I have been thinking about switching to turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw). Can anyone give me the pros and cons for switching to turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw), or staying with brown sugar?

I've gotten to where I use turbinado in rubs. If I'm out at the time I'll still use brown sugar. I like the taste of the turbinado and the "large" granules are not really the issue some think - I don't grind down my rub for uniformity. The sugar melts down anyway.
I can't prove it but I "think" the turbinado makes a nicer bark, too.

Of course being here in FL makes it easy to buy regional brands - they are a bit cheaper than Sugar in the Raw but not much!

I've had Turbinado in my pantry for who knows how long - one day I'll remember to use it. :roll:

Supposed to provide better bark. That will always be a good thing.

I still use brown sugar if the recipe calls for it specifically (might drop down a bit and replace some of the brown with turbinado). But if it says "sugar", I always use turbinado. I don't know whether uniformity is necessary or not but I recently started to do this on my latest batches. I can't argue with the Big Bob Gibson success.

The biggest advantage to turbinado over white or brown sugars is its ability to withstand prolonged heat without burning. You can scorch brown sugar on ribs in just a few hours, turbinado will survive a rib cook without burning.
On butts and briskets, if you leave them on long enough to get them done any sugar added at the beginning will have turned dark, turbinado just lasts longer into the cook before the scorching starts.

Back