The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
jjperry
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Questions: Judge cooking with a team

Hello all, longtime lurker, first timer poster.

I am going for my KCBS master judge. I've got 31 contests under my belt. Next weekend, I am cooking with a team at a competition.

I don't really know the team members; have only seen them at comps in the area, but they are nice enough to let me aboard.

Is there any advice on how to prepare or what to bring? I'd also like to bring something as a token to the team for their hospitality. Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help on this!

J.J.
jjperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Pelkster
Full Fledged Farker

The only things I can think of are a good work ethic and an open mind. Don't be afraid to ask questions or to offer to jump in to help out. Try to find out when they will be arriving so you can help out with set up, and make sure you stick around for take down and clean up. Get lots of rest before hand, cause you probably won't get very much once you are there. I've never gone wrong with a bottle of Jack for gifts of appreciation.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I'm trying to think of things that we would appreciate and things that we occasionally run out of. Paper towels, a case of soda, some snacks and a bunch of ice would all be appreciated.

Have a good time!

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

J.J., what comp are you going to be cooking at? Watertown? You'll do OK, you're a pretty easy guy to get along with. Maybe they have never had a judge cook with them and they are wondering the same thing. You are going to really enjoy the cooking side of the competition.

Unread 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
bbqbrad
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
I'm trying to think of things that we would appreciate and things that we occasionally run out of. Paper towels, a case of soda, some snacks and a bunch of ice would all be appreciated.

Have a good time!

Eric
My thoughts exactly.
hotforteacherbbq.com
[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Thermapen Owner[/COLOR]
bbqbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

Just ask them if they want you to pick anything up for them - anything will be appreciated. And KC is right - a bottle is always good too!

You might want to have a quick conversation with them ahead of time so you both know what the expectations are on either side... What time do they expect you to show up? How long should you stay? Are you staying overnight on site?

We just cooked with a judge for the first time recently, and we found it to be an eye opening experience. While he was a friend of ours, we had never really sat down and talked to him about what we were turning in and his opinions as a judge. This time we got to pick his brain and make some changes that I think will help us going forward. I know both sides learned a lot, and we would welcome doing it again.

Good luck and have fun!

KCBS / NEBS / CBJ
MAK 2 Star General / Yoder YS640
2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / 3 - Weber kettle's
Backwoods Fatboy
PINK Thermapen
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

A decent sized cooler with 2-3 bags of ice in it. Paper towels never hurt, either. I wouldn't buy any alcohol unless I had knowledge of the type/brand.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

Bring your own chair and cooler.
Get a clear understanding of what they want from you, just ask. Unless this is one of the top teams, I doubt they will have any secrets or make too big of a deal of someone in their camp. I’m guessing they are looking forward to you being there and hearing your input.

You’ll earn points with them by doing all the mundane things … changing out trash bags, washing knifes and utensils, cleaning cutting boards, picking up trash.

Gifts? … hand towels, disposable cutting boards. Something they may or may not like would be for you to play photographer, most teams do not have time to get pictures while they are working or a nice team shot while sitting at awards.

Unread 07-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
FashionBiff
On the road to being a farker

No real justification to make suggestions but I like the photog idea, also keep your car handy for an emergency run. I watched a small team implode because of a store run.
I wold also believe that EHBBQ is right they may be in the same boat not knowing what to expect by having a judge in their tent on contest day.
Quoting others keep a positive attitude and good luck!

Unread 07-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
Unless this is one of the top teams, I doubt they will have any secrets or make too big of a deal of someone in their camp.

I love these comments....
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelkster View Post
The only things I can think of are a good work ethic and an open mind. Don't be afraid to ask questions or to offer to jump in to help out. Try to find out when they will be arriving so you can help out with set up, and make sure you stick around for take down and clean up. Get lots of rest before hand, cause you probably won't get very much once you are there. I've never gone wrong with a bottle of Jack for gifts of appreciation.
This ^^^^^ is probably one of the best answers that I've ever heard . Too many times a judge has the idea that he can show up for a few hours on Friday evening to eat & drink, then come back around noon Saturday.

To me, the whole idea of "cooking with a team" is just that - the total comp experience from start to finish. The main things are to learn a bit, have some fun and form some great friendships .

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Go in with the mind set that u are part of the team. Be there from when they arrive until when they leave. Do whatever u can to help. And be prepared to answer questions from teams about judgin, not just yours. Team next to us in troy, ny had a judge in same situation. If u didn't know u would of thought he was part of the team. Putting up easy ups, washing things, running boxes( he did look scared at that part), and totally helped break down whole site at end, even in pouring rain. Was a really nice guy to. Just fit in. And we also learned all judges aren't bad..lololol. and he actually answered our questions honestly and what judges want. He takes judging seriously and it actually made u feel a little better. And a key thing he said was that judges like him do getbmad and upset with judges that seem to not be taking it seriously or the ones who just seem to be there to pack there cooler.
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
jjperry
Got rid of the matchlight.

This is all great advice, thank you. The team did tell me when they want me there -- not sure they have an idea of what to do with an extra person!

Was a little reluctant to bring alcohol, just because I don't know the guys or their brands, or even if they would appreciate something like that. The supplies idea was very good.

This will be in Watertown, SD, so maybe I'll see some of you there. Take care, J.J.
jjperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree with all of the brilliant answers above. Don't forget to have fun most of all.

A great thing is to be a highly motivated ghost.= In the middle of everything, out of the way, taking it all in, giving input and available 24-7.

As for gifts roll up in high spirits with plenty of rest.
No harm in bringing along consumables as mentioned above including water, Gatoraid, ice who knows you may end up leaving with a gift. :)

Doc

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
HawgNationBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelkster View Post
.... I've never gone wrong with a bottle of Jack for gifts of appreciation.
Bingo. You can never go wrong with Jack.
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote