The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Happy Accident

I just wanted to share a story of blind luck from this past Grill Kings event, our first ever competition. We were there at 7:00AM Saturday morning so we had an early start and meat inspection by Murray Saltzmen. This allowed us to rub or marinate everything and put them in sucky bags and then into the cooler. My brother Gary and I started smoking our brisket and butt at about 9:00PM on Saturday Night. We inserted wireless thermometers into the brisket and pork at about 2AM and turned it over to the Gals (our wives) to tend the smokers. At about 4:00 AM they put the ribs in. My brother and I awoke at 5:00 and had some coffee with our wives and at about 7:00 one of the thermometers started buzzing. We looked and saw that the brisket was a 190* degrees! Oh chit, we really screwed up, what do we do now? We quickly wrapped the brisket in some saran wrap and tin foil, yanked some coals from the smoker until the smoker was about 140* and put the brisket back into the smoker. We kept the smoker at about 140* until about 11:00AM when we took the brisket and put it into a cooler. We measured the temperature of the brisket and it was about 160*. When it was time to get the brisket ready at 1:00PM we opened up the brisket and were delighted to see some of the most juicy meat I personally have ever seen. It had a beautiful smoke ring and after slicing pulled apart with minimum effort but did not fall apart. My brother and I looked at each other and shook our heads. Well we placed 6th, just behind Phil and crew beating out teams like Daisy May and Big Island. I thought we were done for, what a pleasant surprise.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Did you collect any brownie points by telling the wives it was their fire tending that did the trick?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Or lack of......I bet those smokers got mighty hot while in their charge...

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
jt
Babbling Farker

Sounds like they get that shift every contest.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote