Help from Maine Brethren

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've driven from Boston to Calais at least 50 times the last 20 years and always seem to end up in dud restaurants. No, it doesn't have to be BBQ, but we would like something fast. Ate Chinese in Augusta the other night. It was a ton of food, but well below average. We've done a few roadside stands, but never had anything very good -- actually, the lobster sandwiches at McDonalds are usually better. :tsk: I would love to hear some suggestions.

So... does this mean that there is no decent food in all of Maine? :noidea:

From Anthony Boudain's best episode of No Reservations...

Primo Restaurant
Tony visits Primo co-owner Melissa Kelly for some of her homemade specialties including a charcuterie course from her own pigs, pasta, veal and pork chops. For the finishing touches, Tony tries Maine oysters from the Damariscotta tidal river.

2 S Main St., Rockland, ME 04841

J's Oyster
J's is a dark pub-like atmosphere. There are plenty of oysters for the taking, but the real stars are the Maine clams, aka steamers. Tony and Zach Zamboni enjoy some pints and a large bucket of steamers and butter.

5 Portland Pier, Portland, ME 04101

Street & Co.
Owner Dana Street and Portland fishmonger George Parr join Tony for a fresh seafood meal at Street & Co, just steps from the water's edge.

33 Wharf St., Portland, ME 04101

And the one place in Main that I just have to go to some day -- a hole-in-the-wall lover's Mecca...

Conte's 1894 Restaurant
Conte's is the place to go for large portions of fresh seafood. Tony samples everything owner John Conte can dish up including Maine shrimp, lobster, haddock and mussels.

Commercial St., Rockland, ME 04841

So, your only advice so far is from a dog in Dallas. :laugh:

CD

Thanks CD, Portland is right on the way. Cute little town. We'll try for the pub food if possible. It's a 21-hour drive, so we don't spend a lot of time eating.

Thanks CD, Portland is right on the way. Cute little town. We'll try for the pub food if possible. It's a 21-hour drive, so we don't spend a lot of time eating.

That pub looked like my kind of place, too. Mostly locals, very few tourists -- although the TV show may have changed that, but it was a few years ago, so it's probably back to normal.

I prefer to eat where the locals eat, and that place looked like my kind of place.

CD

give me a shout if you venture into southern New Brunswick

I'm not sure if we'll pass through St. John or Fredericksburg this time, but we're on a tight schedule, and no chance of stopping this time -- it's a long drive to Maryland. Thanks though!

good bbq

I've driven from Boston to Calais at least 50 times the last 20 years and always seem to end up in dud restaurants. No, it doesn't have to be BBQ, but we would like something fast. Ate Chinese in Augusta the other night. It was a ton of food, but well below average. We've done a few roadside stands, but never had anything very good -- actually, the lobster sandwiches at McDonalds are usually better. :tsk: I would love to hear some suggestions.

This is wher I have bbq in Bangor

Moe's Original Bar B Que

(207) 992-9000

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Thanks! Very big Thanks! Of course, trying to talk the girls into going out for BBQ is always difficult. :tsk:

Back