The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker
 
Jaskew82's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-11
Location: Airmont, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default CyberQ Wifi - review & question for owners

So yesterday was my first time using the CyberQ wifi. It set it very easily with my verizon FIOS router. The website it generates loads slowly but its reasonable enough. I love that I can be at the grocery store and check on the status of my pit/meats.

The only thing I found odd was, it never hit and held my desired tempt (250). At one point, it was even running VERY hot (280) so I had to close everything down. It wanted to run at 260 most of the time. I found it particularly odd that even at temps of 260+ the fan would be blowing, albeit at 5% but still blowing. I see no reason to introduce more oxygen to an already over temp pit.

To be completely fair, I committed a sin in BBQ. I changed multiple things in my process. I should have known better and only changed 1 thing - the guru. I typically cook with water on my WSM. This time, I cooked with a foiled pan. I believe this MAY have caused the volatility in the temps. On the bright side, I used DRAMATICALLY less charcoal without water.

Another odd thing that happened was the guru for no apparent reason said the internal temp of the pit was over 400 - triggering an alarm. It auto-corrected itself back to 255 but the alarm continued to sound until I reset it. I am a little concerned about this jump in temp.

Anyway - any other owners out there find this unit to be less than ideal? especially when compared to the digi Q?
__________________
Hillside BBQ

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Join Date: 04-09-12
Location: Madrid, NY
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

U can set your alert temp. So if u have it set for 20 over witch would also be 20 under it would be normal to be at 260F.


Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP
__________________
LOCKED-N-LOADED BBQ TEAM Sponsored by
SummerHaven
Pools, spas, fireplaces and grills
www.locked-n-loadedbar-b-q.com
Backwoods Maze
XL Green Egg
Large Green Egg
Backwoods G2 Party
22.5 WSM
BBQ Guru
tyotrain is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Join Date: 04-09-12
Location: Madrid, NY
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
So yesterday was my first time using the CyberQ wifi. It set it very easily with my verizon FIOS router. The website it generates loads slowly but its reasonable enough. I love that I can be at the grocery store and check on the status of my pit/meats.

The only thing I found odd was, it never hit and held my desired tempt (250). At one point, it was even running VERY hot (280) so I had to close everything down. It wanted to run at 260 most of the time. I found it particularly odd that even at temps of 260+ the fan would be blowing, albeit at 5% but still blowing. I see no reason to introduce more oxygen to an already over temp pit.

To be completely fair, I committed a sin in BBQ. I changed multiple things in my process. I should have known better and only changed 1 thing - the guru. I typically cook with water on my WSM. This time, I cooked with a foiled pan. I believe this MAY have caused the volatility in the temps. On the bright side, I used DRAMATICALLY less charcoal without water.

Another odd thing that happened was the guru for no apparent reason said the internal temp of the pit was over 400 - triggering an alarm. It auto-corrected itself back to 255 but the alarm continued to sound until I reset it. I am a little concerned about this jump in temp.

Anyway - any other owners out there find this unit to be less than ideal? especially when compared to the digi Q?
Make sure you boil test your probs to make sure there good even if there new. I had the same thing happen to me and it was a faulty prob.


Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP
__________________
LOCKED-N-LOADED BBQ TEAM Sponsored by
SummerHaven
Pools, spas, fireplaces and grills
www.locked-n-loadedbar-b-q.com
Backwoods Maze
XL Green Egg
Large Green Egg
Backwoods G2 Party
22.5 WSM
BBQ Guru
tyotrain is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
BigAshHole
Knows what a fatty is.

 
BigAshHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-14-12
Location: Burlington, NJ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I had the same issue this weekend but it worked like a champ last weekend. I did go with totally burning sticks this time around instead of using charcoal and then burning wood for flavor. Will need to experiment the orignal way next weekend. I also switch to royal oak lump instead of Wicked good. Not even close to Wicked.

I have a Meadow Creek TS120 and am going to add a 2nd fan on the other damper as well.
__________________
Smokin' in the Swamps of Jersey
Meadow Creek TS120, Brinkman POS, Webber Gasser
BigAshHole is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker
 
Jaskew82's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-11
Location: Airmont, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyotrain View Post
U can set your alert temp. So if u have it set for 20 over witch would also be 20 under it would be normal to be at 260F.


Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Not sure how this is relevant to my post (not trying to be a dick).

That said, I will do the boiling water test tonight to check for accuracy.
__________________
Hillside BBQ

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Planenut
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 07-11-12
Location: Charleston, SC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I have not been home to try mine but hopefully soon. I'll let you know what I learn..

Did you have the damper on the fan partially closed?

From all my reading up on it, I plan on starting with the fan damper about 50 percent, all bottom vents closed and the top vent 50% open. This on a 22.5 WSM.

I also have always used water and plan to stop not that I have the CyberQ WiFi so I will also have more than one change going on..
__________________
22.5 WSM, Green Weber Performer, smokey joe mini smoker
Planenut is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
jacksedona
Take a breath!
 
jacksedona's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-11-12
Location: phoenix,arizona
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

i wonder if you go back to using the pan of water if everything will be okay again. i just use my maverick and weber and have great ribs for over 12 years

http://thebarbecuemaster.net
__________________
alan weber smoker,one touch,go anywhere,masterbuilt
jacksedona is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker
 
Jaskew82's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-11
Location: Airmont, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planenut View Post

Did you have the damper on the fan partially closed?

From all my reading up on it, I plan on starting with the fan damper about 50 percent, all bottom vents closed and the top vent 50% open. This on a 22.5 WSM.
I had the other 2 WSM dampers completely closed. I also had the GURU fan damper 2/3 closed.
__________________
Hillside BBQ

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts