oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Fence around your area at a contest

This past summer at our first contest we thought we had a good set-up until Sunday morning when the crowds started coming in. We had people come in to our area uninvited and open the smokers for a look (almost got in a fist fight over that) and someone actually opened up one of our coolers and grabbed a soda when they thought we weren't looking (lost them in the crowd). I saw some teams had picket fences in front of their spot. Is it common place for the public to be so brazen to do these things? I am definetly going with some sort of barrier next year to keep them out.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

A lot of folks use fences or posts and chain or other variants to mark their areas. Tim and I have talked about this but usually we arrange our area where people would have to make an effort to squeeze into our area.

Realistically, if idiots are going to go through your area they'll do it in spite of fences, ropes, etc. Opening a cooker or cooler is just RUDE no matter how you look at it.

Look around at the different setups and find one that you can duplicate and is easy to setup/take down and transport. The fences, entry way, etc. definately dress up the area, too.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Wow!! Sounds like you go to some rough contests!!! I have enough people on my team to supervise the entire area. If they reach in our coolers or open our cooker, they will probably draw back a bloody stub

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Ron_L

Can you say "attack dog"?

Geez... I've only been to two competiions, but no one has been that brazen. We have arranged our space to put the "kitchen" area is the leat accessible, but if someone really wanted to get in there they could.

One other thought... When we were at Peoria i noticed that Bar-b-quau had their kitchen and cookers behind their campar, and they had a little picket fence blocking access to that area. Maybe that's why they set up like that.

The Naked Fatty!

Coming soon! Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Home depot has plastic chain link in 20 foot sections. We were across from you, and thats what we used. This should tie in to your other questtion about the 10x20 canopy ad why i section off an area "out front". The divider and the chain link keeps people out of your kitchen. You will always have the ballsey ones that think they can wander in and out, but if u make it look like they are coming into your front door, they tend to stay out a little more.

Beofre using the split tent concept, parrothead and I have had people walk under our canopy and start slicing slices off of our breakfast. He jsut wandered right in like he owned the place.

The reason i keep my smoker up on the trailer and use it as a cooking platform, is that it keeps people away from the cooker. They may walk behind it, but will not walk up the ramp. I have seen many a pit get opened by spectators, and I have heard many an argument start from it.

At Grillkings, some lady was trying to take ribs from our turnin selection. I caught several people in our cooler.

If you give out ONE sample, do it VERY discreetly. If someone catches you, prepare for the stampede. I always liken it to feeding seagulls or ducks at a pond. If you throw ONE french fry out, or one piece of bread, the entire population of that critter will come running. Well, give out a chicken thigh to someone while your standing next to the open pit, and before you know it, EVERY person within eyeshot will be walking over. Its friggin pathetic.

At ashbury park after turn-in, I handed a plate of chicken and brisket to my wife while standing on the trailer next to the pit. It was for the kids and her. A rather LARGE woman came over with a dish and said can I have a sample?, her plate was full allready. I politly told her no samples yet and she argued, pointing at my wife... "SHE got a SAMPLE... u just like the Hotties". I told her thats my wife, feeding my kids. She just grunted walked away.. I hope she was embarrassed.

One guy became hostile and pissed becase we wouldnt "GIVE" him any samples. He started yelling "all I got is a f***ing piece of sausage and it sucked."

Ribfest, people from the crowd were complaining becase we were not "allowed" to give out samples.. they would show up at noon expecting a free lunch... in the middle of turn-in, and when denied of that, they would start name calling.

It is at all the competitions, and unless foodTV stops showing the competitiors giving out samples, its not going to go away. Promoters tell them to come SAMPLE real BBQ... some advertise 'sampling'. So people come expecting the free meal. Some venues charge admission to get into the competition area. Spectators expect something for that admission fee and they expect it from us. At one venue, one of the teams politely told a person asking for samples that they can purchase a sampler platter from the vendors, and the person got pissed and got 'attitude'. "WTF did i pay 10 bucks for?"(or whatever the entry fee was) she said?? she was right. The only thing there was BBQ vendors and BBQ competitors. That entry fee lined someones pocket.. and put us(the competitors) on the spot.

One team, right after turnin, put a sign up. SORRY, Out of Samples". I never saw them give any out, but the strategy worked.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Solidkick

A .357 strapped on your waist might help keep people out of your site too........

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
chad

It is amazing! Tim and I usually start packing up the meat and icing "leftovers" down as soon as the last box goes to the judges. We've been asked about food and ALWAYS say, "Sorry, we're not vending" and "We've already put everything away".

Heck, I'm judge and competitor and have only tasted a few other guy's food. Of course, I don't ask and don't look "longingly" at whatever's still out - usually brisket since that's the last meat turned in.

The public does not understand that the competiors aren't making $$$ at these events. They also don't understand the usual "gentlemen's agreement" that non-vending competitors don't feed the public and therefore take away $$$ from the vendors and vending competitors. It really gets confusing at events that mix the vendors, vending competitors, and non-vending competitors all in one area.

At Dillard the vending competitors like ButtRub.com and Pig Pals were on the craft and vendors side of the grounds.

You have to remember too that at a lot of KCBS events the sponsoring group gets 10 percent of everything vended (use of Pig Points "money" only) and encourage everyone to vend - they don't charge the teams extra to vend but they get 10 percent - this sticks in the craw of some spice vendors since they have overhead, stock, and taxes to consider.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Move to the Midwest where folks still have manners.
Really! I didn't even see much of that at the Royal and there were probably more drunks there than any contest in the world. We just had one guy come into our private party on Friday evening and when told, he just left. He didn't open or touch anything.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I just find all of this amazing.

I have not been around "forever"--but I have never seen anything like what is being reported from the NY area.

That would call for a 12 guage
RUDE

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
Arlin_MacRae

Louisville Slugger Mod

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #11
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

at the grill kings event i had an old man and his wife take chicken wings right off my grill. we were still cooking these wings

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2016 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
parrothead

Yep! I never saw it as bad as I did at the Long Island comps. In Illinois, no problem. Peoria, we had to beg people to take food.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #13
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

unreal in the cooler.

Wow
Must be a Yankee thing.

Don’t every one have a grumpy one armed man on staff to keep the pushy people at bay.
Doug is very effective he is like a watch dog.

Seriously that blows me away. Never had to deal with that!
Good luck with that bros....
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Grillkings was by far the worse. Some People were just unbelievably brazen. Everytime i tuned around, someone was grubbing.

My theory, blame BLI. The local radio station. They talked up the event and the DJ's always added their own slant and one of those slants was to go down and get some BBQ.... being there were no vendors.. who do ya think evertyone looked to to get that BBQ? The competitors.

Add that to the fact that venue was a state park that charged 8 bucks to get in ..... that added up to a bunch of NY'ers expecting something...

Then in highland, the promoters touted the event as a "rib festival". Then charged admission to get into the grounds. All that was inside was 2-3 Q vendors and some incidentals(lemonade, ices, fries). Wheres the festival.??

I think that real BBQ, being only a few years old AND very seasonal(June-Sept) in NY, that the promoters, whoever they may be, from Gillkings, to Radio stations to rotary clubs, are doing the FOODTV stereotyping. The whole concept of BBQ competitions are new to everyone and even the spectators are going on what they are told, or see on TV. Although going thru our coolers, or cutting of a hunk of our breakfast fatties, or taking Wills wings off the grill.. thats sh*ts just plain old rude.... the looking for freebies is caused by the promoters, and until they learn how to do it, we better bring extra.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 AM   #15
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
We had people come in to our area uninvited and open the smokers for a look (almost got in a fist fight over that) and someone actually opened up one of our coolers and grabbed a soda.
The bl00dy cheek of it!! I would believe people would act like that.

Don't people realise they aren't at a trade food show and they are at a BBQ?

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
Weber One-Touch Platinum Kettle - 57cm
Weber Smokey Joe Silver

GamerTag: CarbonToe

Film Noir. Back when men were men and broads were dames.
CarbonToe is offline   Reply With Quote