The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Time Judging Thoughts <not mine>

A friend of mine judged for the first time at Arthur - he has been cooking (competition) for a while. I asked him for his impressions of "being on the other side of the tables. He said

QUOTING
Arthur was a blast. I sat next to a guy who was judging his 30th contest--a friend of Mike Lake. The food was overall impressive. Lots of big gun teams.

I primarily wanted to see what other teams turned in & I got that done. Interestingly, I think our team has not appreciated how important the initial impression is from the appearance viewing. I found myself "suspecting" how good something would taste based upon the appearance. Usually I was right in my supicions--maybe psychological. I followed KCBS tenderness guidelines & gave the best tasting brisket I ever had a 7 for tenderness because it fell apart. Same with too tender ribs.

I would definitely do it again. I will also try to turn in choices of brisket &
pork when I cook. Sliced, pulled, & chopped in the same box really made an
impression on me.
END QUOTE

So I guess my friend would agree with those who suggest that cooks try judging - at least once or twice.

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Good Quote WSM

Mike Lake is a down home kinda guy.

He's a great ambassador for the sport, and took Dr BBQ spot on the KCBS board this year.

Spoke with him (Mike) a number of times this year in emails and such.

He instructed Greg and I at a CBJ class in Chicago

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree. Three members of my team attended judging school this September and we all think that is it not enough just to attend the school. To really have any benefit to us as a team we think we need to judge a contest or two also.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote