Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness


Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Got Wood.
Shooody's Avatar
Join Date: 10-11-10
Location: Omaha, NE
Default License for Farmers Market and On-Line

Do I need a license to sell BBQ at a Farmer's Market and On-Line?
Thanks for your input...Love this forum!
22.5" Weber One Touch Gold, CharGriller Trio
Shooody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The_Kapn's Avatar
Join Date: 04-08-04
Location: Marianna, FL

What license are you referring to?

I do not vend or cater because of all the legal requirements and work required.

May I suggest you review the multitude of threads on "getting legal" in this section till someone comes along with specific guidance for your situation ??

Good Luck

"Flirtin' with Disaster" BBQ Team (RETIRED)
FBA and KCBS Cook and Judge.
Former owner of a WSM, a Smokey Joe, a Charbroil Commercial gasser (junk), the legendary "StudeDera", a FEC100, a Fast Eddy PG500, and Sherman the Wonder Trailer.
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
is One Chatty Farker

Join Date: 01-01-11
Location: Southern NJ

I can tell you here in NJ you need:

1) To form a business with the state, get federal and state tax id number, as well as sales tax resale certificate

2) Obtain business insurance

3) Register with the health dept.

4) Obtain the use of a health dept. inspected kitchen

5) Register with the local municipality (fire requirements, etc)

I'm sure I'm missing something else, but that's the big stuff. However, if you get into the right sales opportunity all those hoops you gotta jump through are worth it....
Proud owner of 4 VERY ugly drum smokers....and a Greasy Hill reverse flow....
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Full Fledged Farker
Join Date: 07-27-07
Location: Minnesota

Originally Posted by Shooody View Post
Do I need a license to sell BBQ at a Farmer's Market and On-Line?
Kurt - Ole Hickory CTO - FIREHOUSE BBQ Vending Trailer
kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
is Blowin Smoke!
Ford's Avatar
Join Date: 04-14-07
Location: Lakeland Florida

Online? Interstate commerce for food requires a USDA approved kitchen and that's 100k plus.
Retired competition cook. BBQ mentor.
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum. If it doesnt find results at first, hit search a few times more.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.