oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Default Knives

I am looking to buy a nice set of knives for competition next year. Currently, I use a set of Henckels, with a couple of Victorinox odds and ends, but they will stay in the kitchen. I have two questions regarding competition:

1. What brands do you prefer?

2. What particular types of knives do you carry to competitions?

I am willing to spend the money to buy a good set of knives, but at the same time will look for a deal. Craftsmanship, construction, duribility, and edge holding ability are very important to me. I prefer to sharpen with a steel, but input on knife sharpening at comps would also be helpful. You guys are the pros, and I appreciate your input.
Noah
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
RubbinButts
Found some matches.

We prefer Henckel or Wusthof.
RubbinButts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I like my Henckels Chefs Knife, but I also have a Chef's Choice (Target Brand) that is a little softer and sharpens very nicely.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Ron_L

How much money do you want to spend? I have Henckels at home, but for competitions, I have a camping set from Stanley that cost about $40 and is good enough for the occasional use.

My next set for home will probably be Forschner...

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/forschner.htm

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oh, my...another "here we go again" thread!

This topic has been beat on at least twice in the last year...but I'm not looking up the threads!!

You don't need many knives for competition. A good slicer, a boning or utility knife and maybe a pareing knife. A chef's knife will get some use but you're not going to be doing a lot of knife work.

A good sharpener and steel are more important that the knives themselves.

Just about any decent knife will get the job done. I've got an inexpensive set of Farberware that I use - and if one get's "misplaced" I won't have to call in the cops for grand theft!

When I start replacing I'm going with the NSF approved knives at GFS or Sam's - the prices are right, the steel's ok, and they take a lot of abuse. I'm in the market for a good slicing knife - for brisket.

Like I said: a good sharpener (I've got a Chef's Choice manual) and steel are really important.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
chad

Ok, so I went and looked up one thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=knives

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

For the comps, a good chef knife for all around use, and a very good slicing knife for the brisket. I have a 14" slicer(with kullens) that i use on the briskets and that does not come in the house.(comp only). Also, found that a good poulty shears or scissor works well for triming the thighs and making the skin look even. I take my henckels with me, but those are my day to day knives. I keep the slicer in the competition stuff though.

But honestly, I don think a seperate knife set of any higher quality than your day to day knives is needed. If anything, the comp knives get less use, so even mediocre steel will hold up, whereas my day to day are the better stuff. The slicer i got was a 40$ restaurant depot special that works perfectly.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

I use a couple of small knives for trimming chicken and a chef's knife for trimming fat on butts and brisket but for slicing for turn-in, I use an electric carving knife.
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by chad; 10-08-2005 at 08:52 AM..
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have a carbon steel slicer that you can put an extremely sharp edge on that has to be over 100 years old!! Works great but you do need to sharpen it after every use. My Nonno (Grandfather) brought it with him from Italy. He first came to America in 1906!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
icemn62
Babbling Farker

That is cool that you have something in the family that old, and it is still working

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Us Polocks use Henckel Professional S knives......Mainly because I got a set of them for my Birthday. Their 10" Granton Slicer is fantastic, so is the 8" Santoku. I prefer it over a chefs knife.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #12
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

You should look for a Japanese set made by Hattori Hanzo. Of course you may have to go to Japan to buy them. You can find information about Hattori Hanzo if you google him.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #13
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
You should look for a Japanese set made by Hattori Hanzo. Of course you may have to go to Japan to buy them. You can find information about Hattori Hanzo if you google him.
Those are a little outside of my league!! But if I ever decide to become a ninja...
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Noah

Good to see your getting rolling.
OK I got the fancy steel too but it stays home... just aint necessary.

I bought all the knifes I need in my Q trailer at Sam’s.
Russell International (High-Carbon)
They sharpen nice on a steel if you know how to use it and they won’t break the bank.

I made the decision to use these knifes after one of my Cutco’s walked at a contest.

Don’t get caught up in the who’s got the biggest knife contest!
No need.
Almost forgot I use a few pairs of scissors also...
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #15
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

I suggest "Chicago Cutlery"

Is is my go to knife

(not kidding. I leave the henkels for real work, but if I grab a knife, I grab the Chicago knife, 6 quick sharpening thingy's, and cut.)

So my advice? If you compete, whatever you use, bring the sharpening tool

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote