MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Beast
Found some matches.

Default Feeding a fund raiser

Good afternoon Brethren I am in need of some help. I am volunteering my cooker along with myself to make some BBQ for a wounded warrior/Stephen Siller foundation fundraiser. They expect approx. 500-600 people to show up for the event. We want to roast 2 pigs along with chicken and ribs. So my question is this....how many racks and how many lbs of chicken do I need to get. I have a large smoker that can handle 40 lbs of chicken and 30 racks of baby backs at a time. I figure to get there early and get a cycle done before they open the doors and second set will come off a few hrs later..having the pigs done should give me enough time?? Any and all help is welcome My buddy had an idea to roast one pig on a spit(which we have to rent....who knows of a place near staten island, NY?) and he has a friend who owns a bakery and can do another in his ovens. The event isn't until Oct 6th but we are trying to get an early jump on this. Here is a link for a few videos i was sent.
http://youtu.be/LT0-rXUDitk
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Beast
Found some matches.

I'm not in any of the videos...lol..although I am a NYC fireman and work with the guys that are

here is one more link http://www.buildingforamericasbravest.org/houses/?id=1

Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

First of all I would like to say what a great foundation and thanknyou your for your service as a NYC fireman. Pigs would be good for show butt hard to serve. Ribs wow what a undertaking for that many people. You are going to need about 225 lbs of meat. That would feed 600 people 6 oz of meat. Some will eat more and some may not eat at all. I would do some butts and shoulders. You will loose about 20 percent of weight after cooking. It's all a guessing game. Any idea about women and children that a big factor. They will be your chicken eaters. You going to do 8 cut or thighs or drums. You won't be able to cook enough ribs so plan on running out of those. I would do divide it into groups of 200. Pulled for 2, chicken for 2 and ribs for 2. Is someone else doing buns, sauce etc... I would cook around 95lbs ribs, 90 lbs chicken, 85lbs other, will there be other food as well.

Last edited by Butt Rubb'n BBQ; 07-09-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Beast
Found some matches.

thanks for some good info....i don't have to worry about buns we have plenty of volunteers for the small stuff. there will probably be some burgers and dogs for the kids also done by others. We figure with the pigs one guy could just reach in and pull some out and serve right to the plate..we thought that would be enough pork...my smoker can handle about 25 racks st louis cut and 40 lbs of chicken at one time. So i figure to do one wave of chicken before we open and start up another wave, which can be 80 lbs easily if i only do one wave of ribs, to carry me to the end. As far as sauces we haven't gotten to that yet but we can always make them 2-3 days before hand....I'll have all the hands I could need

Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Beast
Found some matches.

2 pigs at 150-200 lbs a piece I would imagine feeds alot

Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Pigs are a pain. I would get a small pig on a spit for show and feed everyone a bunch of pork butts.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Pigs are a pain. I would get a small pig on a spit for show and feed everyone a bunch of pork butts.
agreed

I have a La Caja China that can cook up to 100lb (pre-dressed) pig, do you need another volunteer cook?

I aslo have a 6 ft charcoal grill among other equipment

Let me know.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

st louis ribs at will have 10+ ribs per rack

a whole fryer chicken can yield 12 pieces for a crowd 2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs and each breast can be cut into three pieces - if you cook the whole or spatchcock. I prefer spatchcock - you cut out the back bone, butterfly the chicken and place it ribs side down, which protected the skin from burning.

on the pig, figure 1 - 1 1/2 lb per person, but half that if you are serving ribs and chicken.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
howtocooklamb
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

2 pigs at 150-200 lbs a piece I would imagine feeds a lot -> I think the owner feeds them limitless :D

How To Cook Lamb
howtocooklamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Beast
Found some matches.

great info guys...sry it took a while to reply i just got back from Maine...I was in full seafood mode.Mike D I'll send you a message after I talk to the man in charge...I'm sure we could use a hand and a few more cookers.