The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Pigs on The Run
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default To all BBQ Contest organizers!

Whew! I have a new respect for contest organizers. After 10 years of competing , I thought it would be fun to organize a contest in my area. Well, It was unbelievablly awesome. It had over 5000 people to visit and 28 KCBS teams , 4 backyard teams plus about 40 judges. It was a learning experience and I am sure i pissed some people off. But for the most part I think we did a great job. I hoped it brought our community together. One thing I learned about BBQ is it is all about making friends. I think I made over 5000 new ones.
BBQ on. Can't wait til next year!
John
Pigs on The Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I can't even imagine how hard it is, I thought about doing one, and advice I got from organizers, was to start really really early.

I have volunteered and glad I did, gives you a whole new aspect how contests work, competing is way far easier.

Yoder 640
Yoder 1320
UDS (Snail barrel)
FEC-100 X2
Traeger 124 (older american made model)

KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
carlyle
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on taking the big step.

Best advice: get plenty of help and make planning a year round activity.

As for making friends - that is absolutely the best part.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 2

Congrats.

Have any lessons learned? What worked? What didn't? Might help other people looking to organize a contest :D
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Pitts
Knows what a fatty is.

I bet your cell phone was really your best friend through all of that planning ! Great job and thank you !
Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Organizing is twice as much work and half as much fun as cooking, and an order of magnitude beyond judging. I think those of us who do it (more than once) see it as giving back to the community we love, as we all know contests run by folks who know the competition BBQ world from the inside tend to be the best events.

Thanks to you John for stepping up and shouldering the yoke. I'm sure the teams in your area really appreciate your hard work.

-GF
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->