The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default better duck

i just read an article on real peking duck being smoked over peach wood. also, just yesterday my pathmark started carrying real nice fresh ducks. i was hoping to make a BETTER DUCK than can be had from a chinese restaurant. has anyone ever tried, or have any tips on cooking a duck in the smoker. it could be any kind, not only peking duck. thanks
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Theres a few threads with Duck recipes here. Use the advanced search function and search fro DUCK in qtalk forum only. (Other forums are usually rferencing my sons pet duck and our mascot, Sir****sAlot.)

You have to look thru the searchresults, alot are just references, but there were a bunch that were recipes and techniques. Here was one.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=duck

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

I tried duck once, indirect on the kettle. I think I cooked it way too long. Turned out pretty stringy and a little dry, though the flavor was not bad. These were duck boobs, by the way. I did find a pretty good recipe for an orange-cranberry glaze that almost saved it. If the duck hunters I know come up with any this year, I'm going to try again.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

I've followed this recipe before and its come out delicious, not very BBQ I'm afraid, but very tasty!!

It's from a program called 'Ching Kitchen'

A popular choice at restaurants, Ching-He Huang's fabulous duck rolls are simple to make at home and taste delicious too

Servings: 4
Level of difficulty: Intermediate
Preparation Time: 30 minutes, 2-3 hours drying time
Cooking Time: 1 hour 5 minutes

You will need: Wok

Ingredients
1 whole Duck
2 litres boiling water
5 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
4 tbsp Chinese 5-spice powder
2 tbsp brown sugar

For the sauce
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
6 tbsp hoi sin sauce
6 tbsp caster sugar
6 tbsp water
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp water

For the pancakes
8 pancakes, ready-made
4 Spring onions, shredded
0.5 Cucumber, shredded

Method
1. Place the duck on a rack over a deep roasting tin. Pour over the hot water and leave on one side until the water has all drained away from the bird.

2. Discard the water and leave the duck exposed to air until it’s really dry to the touch.

3. Mix the honey, soy sauce, five spice powder and brown sugar together. Using a pastry brush, brush this sauce over the duck, inside and out.

4. Leave the bird to dry once more. There should now be a thin glaze all over the bird. Give the duck another coat of sauce and leave to dry once more. Keep repeating the process until all sauce has been used up.

4. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Roast the duck for 30 minutes before turning it over and cooking for another half hour, until the skin has crispened. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 15 minutes. Joint the duck and slice its meat off the bone.

5. While duck's roasting, make the sauce. Warm a wok over a moderate heat , and add the sesame oil, hoi sin sauce, caster sugar, water, soy sauce, and the cornflour and water mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook down until the sauce has thickened. Leave to cool.

6. Warm the pancakes in a bamboo steamer for about 4 minutes. Spread a teaspoon or so of sauce over each pancake and scatter with a little of the spring onions and shredded cucumber. Top with a generous helping of sliced duck meat. Roll up the pancakes into a cigar shape and serve.

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
Weber One-Touch Platinum Kettle - 57cm
Weber Smokey Joe Silver

GamerTag: CarbonToe

Film Noir. Back when men were men and broads were dames.
CarbonToe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Peking Duck is not simple and takes a while to prepare. Here is a recipe for you. http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/peking_duck.htm

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

I love duck. It seems to me we should eat more of it. It's really welcome change imo. And can almost always be used as a delicious substitute for chicken or turkey. I have fried a bunch of ducks, (just like frying a turkey), with great results. Duck taquitos are great!
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #7
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
Peking Duck is not simple and takes a while to prepare. Here is a recipe for you. http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/peking_duck.htm
Looks like a good recipe, I'd first tip boiling water over the duck before hanging and I'd then substitute Shaoxing rice wine for the Sherry, you'll get a nicer flavour.

Weber Smokey Joe Silver

Unread 10-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #8
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

during the drying time can you refridgerate or do you have to leave the duck out, and if so don't you run the risk of a bacteria bloom spoiling the meat? thanks for the suggestions.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad
during the drying time can you refridgerate or do you have to leave the duck out, and if so don't you run the risk of a bacteria bloom spoiling the meat? thanks for the suggestions.
phil
It's best if you leave the duck out in a draft, it's very important to get the skin bone dry before you cook it. If you put it in the fridge you won't get the skin to loose the moisture and you'll never get that crisp finish.

Weber Smokey Joe Silver