Kansas City to Gulf Shores, AL

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
In late July the family and I are heading to Dauphin Island just off the coast from Gulf Shores. Our route will take us from KC to Memphis then on down to Gulf Shores.

Looking for good regional Q joints along the way. I'm familiar with the KC-Memphis run, but past that, no so much.

I'm also debating on the way home to go north to Decatur, Ala, on a bit of a pilgrimage to Big Bob Gibsons. Never been there, but am curious about it. Any Brethren been there? My fear is the brand is better than the food, as is often the case with place like that.

It would be worth stopping off at BBG in Decatur. They have really good smoked turkey and you have to try the chicken with white sauce. If you drive just East about 15 minutes, find Chuckwagon BBQ in Madison, AL. It has some fantastic brisket and is a small place.

^^^^^ Yeppers. Both Decatur and Madison are within easy reach of I-65. Now, having said that, if you're taking 72 across North Mississippi to Decatur, you might want to experience "Slug Burgers" in Corinth if it's still open. (Slug burgers are typically meat with extenders like onions and breading that are often deep fried)

As to Big Bob's, the ONLY one to go to is the location on 6th Ave.
Whitt's is another decent chain with a location just a few blocks North of Big Bob's on 6th.

Oh...speaking of burgers, C F PENNS!!!!! In Decatur on Moulton St. This is a MUST.

+1 on big Bob's on 6th avenue....
I made a visit about a year ago or so and the ribs were real good in my opinion.
the slaw was.....well just ground up cabbage it had no flavoring/sauce at all it seemed to me. and Im not kidding when I say ground...it wasnt shredded, it was finely ground up.

and +1 on CF Penns too.

Guerry, I've been to Memphis lots of times on my own for business, but we may make that an overnight or two day stop. The wife is a big Elvis fan, so Graceland is calling.

I've done Rendezvous, which is good, but only OK. Corky's is better, but that's my experience. Want to do Beale St., but of course I have 3 young daughters, so probably not after dark there.

Any other suggestions?

Gus's Fried chicken down town is excellent. For BBQ, Central BBQ on Central is pretty good. (Stay away from the Summer Ave shop) but one of my local favorites is The Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison Ave. http://www.dancingpigs.com/ 1782 Madison Avenue Memphis, TN 38104
(901) 272-1277

Get some sauce and rub to take back with you if you like it.

Oh, and if you make it a two day thing, the Pink Palace Museum (There is a planetarium and an IMax theater there too) is a great visit. The Memphis Zoo is a good visit too.

If you're making a BBQ pilgrimage, then I definitely would stop off in Decatur. I visited this last spring and even bought a bottle of sauce to take home, which I never do. The food is good, certainly well above average. I never expect food to be as good as I cook. What sets it apart, is the uniqueness. I went away VERY satisfied in this department. Incidentally, here's a thread on that region. There's a review and pics somewhere in this:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125981

I used to live in Pensacola, just a little bit up the road from Gulf Shores. All the old BBQ joints I used to know are probably gone. But if you and mama get a chance to go out for the evening, there is a bar in Gulf Shores called Lulu's, Jimmy Buffets sister owns it and he's been known to make an unannounced appearance there. just down gulf beach Hwy. theres another place called the Flora-Bama, Fantastic party place, You might even be there in time for the annual Mullet toss! I think there is also a shuttle that runs between the two places.

Tell us your route and what you're joints you are aware of. There could always be a hidden gem you don't know about.

On the way to the beach:
We'll take 70 from KC to St. Charles, then 61 down to Memphis. Spend a day in Memphis, then to Tupelo, MS and head into Gulf Shores.

On the way home, we'll do the Decatur route, through Nashville, to Paducah, KY, Mt. Vernon, Ill. to St. Louis and west to KC.

We're heading out Thursday morning. Spending Thursday evening in Memphis. Friday night will likely be in Meridian, MS. The wife is very concerned about missing the Olympic Opening Ceremony, so we'll be lit by 6:30 p.m. CT somewhere.

Thanks all for the advice. We are definitely doing BBG on the way home and we're planning Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis. And we got a good Priceline room at the Peabody in Memphis, so that's a good deal.

Outnumbered,

I was wondering if you were going to be on I-40 thru Arkansas. Thought you might run straight South at the start. There are a some gems on that route and currently road construction you would definitely need to be aware of.

Be careful and enjoy.

While you are in Gulf Shores, go by Big O's and pick up a dozen fresh baked cinnamon rolls for breakfast! Homemade gooey goodness. Yeah it's not BBQ, but they are dang good and worth it.

Also while around the Memphis area, give Memphis BBQ Co a try. This is Pete and Melissa Cookston's (Yazoo's Delta Q) place.

Edit: Nevermind, I heard that Big O's closed down.

Back