喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
BABYGOTBUTT
On the road to being a farker

Question Bad Sportsmanship or Ignorant?????????

We were in the middle of cutting a brisket and boxing the meat with about 2 min to turn-in. Guy walks right up to me and starts asking all sorts of questions. Doesn't wait for an answer just starts asking questions. I POLITELY told him I was busy and could not talk thinking he was one of the many people that attended the DC BBQ Battle this past weekend. He then says, "okay, yeah, I just turn our brisket in". Are you kidding me? wondering if anybody else has had another team member come up to you and start talking BBQ as you are getting a box together during the last minutes?
BABYGOTBUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Possibly a half-asleep runner, or a cook with no sleep... Someone obviously not thinking, and not paying any attention whatsoever.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
nthole
Babbling Farker

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't see the box and were just wanting to chat post turn-ins and see how things went. After the last turn-in I know we usually check-in with some of our fellow teams. That said I'm always careful to make sure they are done first .
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

There are certainly ignorant jerks out there. I've had it happen to me. First thing I ever ask a team if it's in the window is "Are you finished with your turn in?"

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

stangers wandering in, yes. a fellow competitor, no.

as far as i'm concerned, other than a good luck while walking by, no talky between like 11A and 1:35P.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I vote for ignorant but probably because he just doesn't know better. Most of us here know the rules but many don't. The are also a lot of folks that are so focused on themselves they don't take others into consideration.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Shiz-Nit
is Blowin Smoke!

Maybe when he said "we"... Maybe he was just a guest and NOT actually a official team member.

But still either way I would have been upset as rightfully you should have been also.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYGOTBUTT View Post
wondering if anybody else has had another team member come up to you and start talking BBQ as you are getting a box together during the last minutes?
I had this happen to me two weeks ago, and to beat all it was my ex team member! We had done this comp together for five years in a row - fully sponsored by my company - but I didn't ask him to help this time because this was his standard MO at comps; no focus on winning, just socializing.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

We had a lady from the Chamber of Commerce come in our sport while we were working on our Rib turn and when we told her that we were busy and could not talk. She kept talking and finally after telling her again we were busy and we are in the middle of turn ins she got pissed and mumbled something and walked away. We were not trying to be jerks but we were busy. It was a small town contest and I get they want to promote their town but not during turn ins!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I talk to people all the time while I am boxing, its not a big deal to me. I understand that some people what their privacy and concentration. You should respect that of other teams though. I think he was a friendly uneducated competitor thats all, I am sure there was no harm intended.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

I tend to agree with Lake Dogs that it was probably a runner that didn't know any better. I bring friends with me to comps to help out with things like running, and some of them probably wouldn't know better and are just being social. That being said, I have let them know that turn in times isn't the time for that.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
BABYGOTBUTT
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench_H View Post
I tend to agree with Lake Dogs that it was probably a runner that didn't know any better. I bring friends with me to comps to help out with things like running, and some of them probably wouldn't know better and are just being social. That being said, I have let them know that turn in times isn't the time for that.
I'll go with just being ignorant.
BABYGOTBUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
JayAre
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shigging

Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I finally bought walls for my canopy to keep this from happening if my spot is in a high traffic place.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
I talk to people all the time while I am boxing, its not a big deal to me. I understand that some people what their privacy and concentration. You should respect that of other teams though. I think he was a friendly uneducated competitor thats all, I am sure there was no harm intended.
Yelling "F-You" and "your mother!" doesn't count as talking to people all the time.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote