The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Default How to hold Butts

Hello all
I will be cooking for a group of around 100 on the 4th, family and friends. The question I have is I will be cooking pork butts, ribs, and chicken, the butts will be cooked the day before as the feed time and location won't make it possible to cook them there. How should I hold them? Leave them whole after they are done then reheat and pull, or pull put them in a container and heat the pulled at the event?
Any ideas would be helpfull.
Thanks
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

I would pull them then reheat the pulled at the at the event. If you foil the butts during cooking retain the juices to add to the reheated product.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
LGHT
Knows what a fatty is.

I hired a guy a few years ago for a pool party at home and he cooked the pork butts up to 170 ahead of time just to get the smoke flavor infused into the meat. Then he used my home convection oven to finish them off for a few hours and to give it a nice bark. Not sure if you can do that, but they came out amazing and I couldn't taste the difference from a butt cooked entirely on a smoker.
LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I would double wrap in foil, large ziplock, icewater bath to cool quickly then refrigerate. Reheat whole wrapped in foil, and then pull.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
TheMidnightSmoker
On the road to being a farker

On occasions where I have cooked pork butts in advance of service I pull then place in freezer bags if holding for only a day or vacuum-seal if longer. On day of event I thaw, spread out pulled pork in a hotel pan, add a little more of my finishing sauce, foil and reheat at 350 in the oven till up to temp. I turn the meat once, maybe twice during the reheating to ensure no cold spots. The PP always turns out great.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Cook, pull, ice bath, and cryovac, and freeze. To reheat just thaw and place cryovac in a boiling pot on a turkey fryer then when heated place in a foil pan.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDAL View Post
Cook, pull, ice bath, and cryovac, and freeze. To reheat just thaw and place cryovac in a boiling pot on a turkey fryer then when heated place in a foil pan.
Exactly how we do it.

If service is only 1-3 days off, we just store in a super cold fridge.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I smoked 110lbs of BUTT last week for wedding - smoked/pulled Wednesday am/pm - pulled- tinned in half trays (bout 1 butt per 1/2 tray)
put in a splash of 'moist' and a touch of sauce- mixed FOILEDTIGHT - put in Frigidaire

- Saturday morning -- oven/or smoker- add more PORK MOIST (I use splash ginger ale, pickle juice, Wooster, a juice, a.cider vinegar and some Captain Morgans -both during and after the cook!) and heat!! - maintain heat with sterno trays - if you oven at home, CAMBRO or meat cooler to event

TELL YOU WHAT!~~

[/COLOR] [/B][B]RUB IT
SMOKE IT
PULL IT[/B]!
- KCBS Judge #21965
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
OneArlenBBQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat & Heat View Post
Hello all
I will be cooking for a group of around 100 on the 4th, family and friends. The question I have is I will be cooking pork butts, ribs, and chicken, the butts will be cooked the day before as the feed time and location won't make it possible to cook them there. How should I hold them? Leave them whole after they are done then reheat and pull, or pull put them in a container and heat the pulled at the event?
Any ideas would be helpfull.
Thanks
For me at all stages with two hands to hold. Or I'd drop it.. I go with the idea of heating in boiling water in a turkey fryer. I have a turkey fryer and must try it. Might as well stock up for unexpected guests.

Weber 22 One Touch Gold
OneArlenBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

How far do you have to travel? If it a short distance cook them night before ,pull them a acouple hours before serving. Sometime we have to do an all nighter
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote