oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #46
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

A touch overdone but very tasty!

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on [URL="https://twitter.com/PorkPerfection"]Twitter[/URL] and [URL="https://www.facebook.com/PorcinePerfection"]Facebook[/URL]

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Packer Green Thermapen[/B][/COLOR] | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Green Bay Packer UDS[/B][/COLOR]
Porcine Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #47
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

I miss moose...

Smokin In The City 2015
Grand Champion
Boarshank Redemption

buccaneer is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #48
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I miss moose...
Moose is right here!
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I ahve been tossign this idea in my head about the reverse sear. Recently I got a big ass 5 foot grill.

Now thats big and great for the three Church Fairs we have each year BUT I do not want to be farking around with cooking 50 individual tri tips.

My thought is this, and please answer. What if I could start them out reverse sear, pan them and bring the temp way down to suspend them at, say, rare. (in this way as time goes by I am still left with med rare). This means my pit would be behind me (my big ass brazos) suspended by my stoker at some temperature. I could pull a couple of tri - tips and finish them off and pass them to my slicer.

Can we theorize this for a moment. Is it possible, and for how long? Thoughts... in this case I am open to even the stupid suggestions... mostly because thats where the true genius often lies.

Certified KCBS Judge
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #50
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

Great thread. Lots of good info.
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #51
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I ahve been tossign this idea in my head about the reverse sear. Recently I got a big ass 5 foot grill.

Now thats big and great for the three Church Fairs we have each year BUT I do not want to be farking around with cooking 50 individual tri tips.

My thought is this, and please answer. What if I could start them out reverse sear, pan them and bring the temp way down to suspend them at, say, rare. (in this way as time goes by I am still left with med rare). This means my pit would be behind me (my big ass brazos) suspended by my stoker at some temperature. I could pull a couple of tri - tips and finish them off and pass them to my slicer.

Can we theorize this for a moment. Is it possible, and for how long? Thoughts... in this case I am open to even the stupid suggestions... mostly because thats where the true genius often lies.

I see no reason why that wouldn't work as long as you keep them tightly wrapped. I think that your limitation though would be holding them in the "danger" zone in the "rare" temp range for to long. But I'd be willing to bet that you could safely hold them for a couple of hours and then finish with a flash sear and serve. I know that I'd eat it. It's not like it's ground beef you're holding or any thing.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #52
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

We had a discussion about the danger zone for meats....

I can't remember where the data was... I think it was in Wood Pellet thread where I was insisting something could not be done and according to the powers that be it could. I forgot the info because I figured I would never need it.

I was assuming I would be done in say... 2 hours so I would assume I would slow them down enough and hold them at 165, for instance. I am wondering on the data of how long I had in that rare. med rare zone of low enough I cook finish sear them before the buyer and throw the to the side for the slicer to do his/her thang.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #53
buccaneer

In this thread, people are using the term "Reverse Sear" instead of simple searing first or last.
Quote:
Reverse sear is a complete method.
It means to bake meat on low heat and finish by searing the external surface.
It is called "Bake and Brown" when taught as a method in cooking courses and has been around since the last century.
It gets confusing when we use the terms in place of something else.
If you start with a sear, then you can't use reverse sear.
The benefit of reverse sear is you get greater control of doneness because it gives you are much larger window in which to cook to the IT you want.
It is slightly moister (if cooked by non pro's) and is far more forgiving for less experienced cooks.
It's weak point is, it cooks in a range of heat that, for the majority of the time, it is below the temps where chemical and elemental changes happen and flavinoids develop.
As for the temp being in the 'danger zone' it is simply not relevant because the bacterial organisms that you fear are external and will be in a heat emp too high to exist, there will not be developing organisms in the internals of the meat exploding in number, contrary to common belief.
If that were so, things like hungi and other non western cooking styles would have killed off other cultures thouseands of ears ogo
In My Opinion and experience

Smokin In The City 2015
Grand Champion
Boarshank Redemption

Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #54
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I also guess that what I am saying is how long can I hold a beef cut suspended in a holder at say, 155, when the steak was stopped using the reverse method at 130-135 for instance?

I guess I actually need to do it maybe.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #55
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

let me clarify... I do not let the steaks touch the sear at all until the end. I am not a dumb ass. Yes I understand it is a whole process.... I am aksing for data on for instance, how long can a cut be suspended from the slow smoke portion of the cook until you finish sear it.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #56
buccaneer

Quote:
let me clarify... I do not let the steaks touch the sear at all until the end. I am not a dumb ass. Yes I understand it is a whole process.... I am aksing for data on for instance, how long can a cut be suspended from the slow smoke portion of the cook until you finish sear it.
I know you aren't a dumbass but the way you wrote the post meant ir read the way I responded to it and we aren't the only ones reading the posts.
I have never needed or thought about it but naturally thoughts went to sous vide where the meats are suspended in low temps(115f to 185f) for a very long time.

Smokin In The City 2015
Grand Champion
Boarshank Redemption

Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #57
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I know you aren't a dumbass but the way you wrote the post meant ir read the way I responded to it and we aren't the only ones reading the posts.
I have never needed or thought about it but naturally thoughts went to sous vide where the meats are suspended in low temps(115f to 185f) for a very long time.
Don't worry about it. If I was mad i would have used an !

No I realized I wrote it wrong.

heres what I got in another thread from foxfire.

This is why I come here... this is what I was talking about the other day about genius.... I think it was in the "stew meat for burnt ends" thread.

True genius on the pit is when you look at a meat and say...how closely can I get it to do this and throw out all the rules, including the rules that got the other meat the way you are targeting, and come up with another way (like my "breaks my heart loinbacks")

I had simply underestimated the possibility that I could pull way under rare.... hold it in pans in the smoker at say 115 or 120 (which is easy to approximate) then finish off in 2 to 3 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Am I the only one who tends to pull tri tip off at 115 to rest in foil while I add another half chimney of coals to the low-and-slow fire for a hotter sear? The temp raises a bit while resting so once I sear it's a pretty quick 2-3 min per side to hit 135 med. rare. Or am I weird?
GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I asked this question the other day in another thread and was looking for this advice. I love you man. I did some calcualtions and this will work. I forgot about this.... this will work for my application and you even gave me the done time.

As far as you thinking you are weird, no, you are a genius. I bet you get the feeling I do when I deliver a 25-35 pound shoulder clod and serve it rare to medium rare after a 200, 2 hour, then 400 to 130 IT degree cook, slice it and have people think I am serving prime rib or boneless steamship round. You must feel like I do when you see people in here cook a cold like they do a brisket (thereby ruining it because they are doing something to a clod that a brisket can do better - be served well done).

You sir are my new best friend and yes you are weird. Which is the highest compliment!.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #58
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Now from what I am reading about sous vide.... I am going to have to grill a bit first perhaps. Then bake smoke to 115, wrap a few in plastic, then hold (no I am not going to hold in water bath) then when I am ready I will pull a pack (which may have three tri tips in it.... grill to rare to med rare, then rest and slice to serve.

It broke off but I remember I had a swing in cage like rack I could literally swing into the firebox of my brazos for reasons like this. I was big enough to throw maybe three or four briskets in, sear them, in the high heat (although I would shut the door and dampers so there were not flare ups) and pull in under 5-10 minutes. I stopped using this because it made a great bark but affected my smoke ring.

I did think I could use it for a finish process for searing bark on a "done" brisket but that was before I perfected my tri level process which somehow magically the bark hardens up again after its pulled from the plastic or butcher paper.

Maybe I should try this with tri tips. I don't know.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #59
NorthwestBBQ

Genius!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #60
gtr

Quote:
I deliver a 25-35 pound shoulder clod and serve it rare to medium rare after a 200, 2 hour, then 400 to 130 IT degree cook
This is what I've been wanting to hear about clod.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote