The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
jla678
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New to BBQ world

My husband had a road side BBQ about 7 years ago when we lived in upstate NY. We have since moved to Florida and he has been itching to pursue his passion of doing BBQ. We purchased a smoker and he is taking care of all the license and health dept stuff. I am in charge of finding events to do. My question is, Anyone know where I can go to find events in my area that we would be able to attend? We have checked out the local farmers markets but the hubs is also looking for a “event”. I don’t know if there is a site that shows all local events that you vend or what not, so I am just throwing it out there…ALL and ANY feedback is welcome.

We live in West Palm Beach, FL and have a smoker that sits on a 20ft boot trailer, we will be doing Chicken, ribs and some sides. Please forgive my lack of knowledge about BBQ, I am very new to this and trying to support my husband and start a success business as well.

Thanks all.
jla678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Welcome to the forum!

The competition BBQ scene in Florida is very strong.

Go here: http://www.flbbq.org/contest.htm

for information on cook-offs.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome!

Definitely check FBA (Florida BBQ Association) and KCBS for listings. Some of the towns/cities around you probably have seasonal festivals that make for great vending, especially BBQ.

Unread 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 1

Are you looking solely for BBQ-related events? I imagine you could do well at festivals or outdoor events of any kind, such as car shows, boat shows, town/county fairs. In Washington DC we have a local weekly paper called the City Paper, which has listings of weekly events in the metro area, I'll bet West Palm Beach has something similar. It may be too late to get registered for those events, but it will be good to figure out what events are held at certain times of the year. You might also contact the city council to find out what events the city is sponsoring and/or permitting. If there is a university nearby you might contact their public relations department to see if they are hosting any events you could vend at.

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you both!

Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x3), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote