ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
"Bone to Bark" BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Anything Butt ideas

What is everyone turning in for the "Anything Butt" category? Are the rules usually the same from contest to contest? i.e.- must be meat, just not one of the four KCBS categories. Is a turn-in box normally supplied, and who judges it?

Unread 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

there was a post i started a few weeks ago about this issue.... I think the rules vary. It doesn't have to be meat. Some people do dessert. The people that I've seen as judges for this are not the KCBS or MBN judges but people from the community and event organizers... gives them something to do I guess.... yes they supply the box.

I've done NY Strip Steak the past few times but I'm thinking about getting away from meat and trying desserts or something with bacon.

The best one i've ever seen/tasted was deer sliders. little deer sandwhiches with cheese and peppers. it was amazing. the guy got 1st and we got 2nd to him...

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

We've done a few things, and so far no success. We did shrimp tacos one time, a corn salad with a crab cake once, and a fried grit cake with shrimp and a sarachi cream sauce. The shrimp and grits got 3rd I think, and the other two did pretty bad. We usually don't take it to seriously and just try to turn in something we'd like to eat for dinner on Friday night.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time Zero Member

Try the Throwdowns - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

That's the key... Cook something you wouldn't mind eating for Friday dinner

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got 2nd place last year with my Peach Bourbon Baked Beans.
Haven't done an anything but since.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Pork Barrel Project
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Anything But rules are entirely up to the organizer. At most KCBS contests, those entries will be judged by the same judges that score the main categories. That saves the organizer the problem of rounding up enough extra judges to rate just that category.

A good set of reps will also help the organizer with the rules to keep the category fair for the partipipants and manageable for the judges.

What may be submitted is up to the organizer. If it's wide open, Anything But becomes a de facto Dessert category. After already going through several categories of meat, most judges are naturally going to be ready to try something that isn't meat. This is a case where prime rib would likely rate far behind cheesecake, pie, banana pudding, etc.

Presentation rules are also up to the organizer. Some insist the entries must fit within a standard 9x9 clamshell and that box must be closed. Other organizers will have an anything goes philosophy and entries may be submitted in anything from a clamshell to a silver platter.

Before you commit to participating in the Anything But, make sure the organizer is absolutely clear about all that category's rules. If he or she is hazy or tells you those details will be determined later, I would take that uncertainty as a clear signal to skip it.

Hope this helps.
Pork Barrel Project is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

If they allow Dessert, no matter what, cook dessert. I would wager for any Anything Butt category that allows dessert, 8 of the top 10 will be desserts if not all of them.

That being said - a lot of great choices but you really need to know who your audience is. If the locals are not used to upscale cooking, you could have the best food in the world but it becomes lost. One team I know served a rack of lamb they cooked whole, then served as chops. When the judges looked at it they refused to eat something cooked to a medium / medium rare as it was raw, not knowing you can't cook lamb to done without ruining it. Likewise, if its a beer and wings crowd, cook to a beer and wings crowd.

Unread 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Lippy
On the road to being a farker

We have done well with blackened salmon or catfish.

Unread 06-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Shrimp, lobster. I shy away from steak as some judges may not appreciate rare beef. Just takes one.

Unread 06-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
fweck
is one Smokin' Farker

Need to be careful with shellfish or other allergens (like peanuts), the organizer then needs to find out who's alergic and what tables not to send those things to.
Stovetop, Camerons Gourmet Mini Smoker.
Future UDS Owner (slow build mod)
Smokin' Fast, Splashproof, Blue Thermapen

Airborne! God Bless our Troops!
KCBS CBJ
Member of the Zero's Club
CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
fweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

we (my wife) turned in mac and cheese twice.
we won 1st twice

I swear it's the plowboy's yardbird dusting on top that makes it special, not trying to plug Todd's stuff, but it's awesome product.

Yoder 640
Yoder 1320
UDS (Snail barrel)
FEC-100 X2
Traeger 124 (older american made model)

KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Rub'n Wood BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Careful with shellfish (coming with someone with an allergy). Just competed last weekend and they specifically outlawed shellfish, as well as steak. We did Beef Tenderloin took 4th with all 9's and one 8 (177.7). Simple rub and herbs on the outside, cooked to med rare, and turned in. It was refreshing to have a "pure" piece of meat after all of the sanctioned categories. It was KCBS and I think it was only meet but could not be a category meat.
Rub'n Wood BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote