oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork Shoulder Vs. Pork Butt

When making PP i usually use butts. However i tried to do a shoulder one time. I used the same method.

The pulled pork came out great, however when it was done i just pulled it up with my hands. when eating it tho, i noticed that there was some gooey skin in it. I picked it out but it was nasty. the butts dont have skin on them.

i realized that the shoulder had actual pig skin on one side of it.

Do you take that off precook or when its done?

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Whenever I do a picnic cut I trim the outer fat off, not all of it mind you, but definitely the harder bits. You can render it down, or turn it into cracklin' But yeah, I don't much care for it in my pulled pork end product.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually, pork but is part of the pork shoulder -- at least down here. The other part is the picnic. I've never tried using a picnic for pulled pork. Overall, I'm not crazy about that part of the shoulder.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Bludawg

I remove it pre cook I either give it to the Dog or make Chicharrones

Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Actually, pork but is part of the pork shoulder -- at least down here. The other part is the picnic. I've never tried using a picnic for pulled pork. Overall, I'm not crazy about that part of the shoulder.

CD
sorry yes i meant the picnic. it has that pig skin on it.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I remove it pre cook I either give it to the Dog or make Chicharrones

hmmm ya ill do that next time. for my own PP ill stick to butts. but i make it for a snackbar and its just so much cheaper to do picnics than butts.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

When doing picnics I remove all the skin, bark and color on the meat is the reason.

FYI, whoever said picnics taste hammy was probably eating "enhanced" picnics.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
jestridge

I always leave the skin on seem to turn out better.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
When doing picnics I remove all the skin, bark and color on the meat is the reason.

FYI, whoever said picnics taste hammy was probably eating "enhanced" picnics.

^_ True....

I am finding that so much more meat is "ENHANCED" now.. I buy less and less from the grocery stores now.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Jeep
On the road to being a farker

I just did my first picnic this weekend. After trimming over two pounds of skin/fat from it and then pulling the bone out. I figure I have about 6 pounds of meat left before smoking. Add to that that I honestly feel that this was my worst attempt at Pulled Pork to date... I will be sticking with butts for my Pulled Pork moving forward.

I really think that I had the worst beans that I have ever made as well. Man... I really was not happy with my cook this weekend. Good thing there is another one next week.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

I actually prefer picnics over butts for PP. I never remove the bone before cooking, that's flavor.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
I just did my first picnic this weekend. After trimming over two pounds of skin/fat from it and then pulling the bone out. I figure I have about 6 pounds of meat left before smoking. Add to that that I honestly feel that this was my worst attempt at Pulled Pork to date... I will be sticking with butts for my Pulled Pork moving forward.

I really think that I had the worst beans that I have ever made as well. Man... I really was not happy with my cook this weekend. Good thing there is another one next week.
Should of left the bone in. Yes, it's a bit more effort to trim skin etc. But if cooked till probe tender, it's farking tasty stuff. Most picnics I've seen posted here are enhanced. Gotta check the label carefully. "always tender" is a no no.

FYI, you can use that skin for some tasty treats. Not like it's a waste.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

For the longest time all I could find for cheap was picnics. Sometimes it came out dry, not as much fat throughout the cut. New location, I can get butts for cheap too. I need to adjust my process cause I end up with really greasy meat when the butt is probe tender. Choose one? I would rather cook a picnic.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
syndicate559
Full Fledged Farker

I usually do butts, but have done picnic before. Either way, I trim most of the exterior fat and get to the meat so that my rub sticks better. There's no shortage of fat inside the meat, so I'd rather have more rub/bark on the surface. I inject regardless of which roast I'm using too, so I've never had it dry out, but at the end of the day, I like the butt a little better. Probably just because it's what I cook 98% of the time.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
Big Biscuit
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Should of left the bone in. Yes, it's a bit more effort to trim skin etc. But if cooked till probe tender, it's farking tasty stuff. Most picnics I've seen posted here are enhanced. Gotta check the label carefully. "always tender" is a no no.

FYI, you can use that skin for some tasty treats. Not like it's a waste.

You got that right. I cooked mine with the skin side down and ened up with a tasty cruncy treat after 7hrs on the wsm. H&F is the way to go.