oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Cooking for 100 people in 2 weeks

G'Day Bruces...

In 2 weeks I'm cooking for 100 people, maybe 120. A lot of children too in that 120.

It's my Daughters Calisthenics College Weekend Training Camp. I've got 2 days to get the Menu together. Last year I just went and did it, but now I want your help and advice.

You see last year, I wasn't thinking. I went and made all these burgers. All over 5oz each, big bread rolls etc. I totally forgot most of them were kids and eat like a sparrow. The Chicken wings were great, but by the time they all got done, the kids were onto the Ice Cream..

So, I really screwed up even though they all said it was great.

Now... I 'm gonna ask my buddies here, my brains trust....I'm not gonna let that happen again.

The one thing set in stone is that I'm doing pulled Chuckie on the WSM Bullet Bill. I can pull it and serve it with little buns for the smaller kids, with some cheese, tomato, BACON, condiments, lettuce etc and they'll love it.

I'm also looking at doing some chicken wings, but jointed with the tip off. I may fry them up now I got that whiz bang grate for my performer

Some Mac and Cheese. And then I'm open to suggestions.

In truth, the whole menu is changeable for this weekend but these are my plans so far.

I want these kids and Adults to experience some real BBQ and enjoy it. Remember, these little Aussies have no idea at all what I want to do. For them, American food is just MacDonalds.

Please give me a hand brothers.

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited by SmokinAussie; 06-22-2012 at 05:17 AM..
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Al Czervik

Bill,

You might also consider pulled pork and pulled chicken for the non beef eaters... As you know pretty easy to do and very versatile with multiple sauce options. Other big hitters normally include baked beans, potato salad, pasta salad, fruit and veg trays, chips and dip, deviled eggs, coleslaw, etc.

Good luck brother!

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Merry Christmas... Chitter was full!
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
SmokinAussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Bill,

You might also consider pulled pork and pulled chicken for the non beef eaters... As you know pretty easy to do and very versatile with multiple sauce options. Other big hitters normally include baked beans, potato salad, pasta salad, fruit and veg trays, chips and dip, deviled eggs, coleslaw, etc.

Good luck brother!
Ok... perfect first entry... There are a few more things to consider knowing this is a different country, costs, availablity etc...

I'm on a budget..

Pork Scotch (Shoulder) $12.00 Kg
Whole Chuck: $7.00 kg

I'd prefer the pork myself, but the Chuckie it has to be.

Last year I did some Baked Beans. They were awesome!!!!

Unfortunatley in Australia, kids only see these things out of a can on a slice of toast for breakfast... so no takers there.

Potato Salad! Damn, that's always a winner.. recipe PLEASE!

Chips and Dip for the Adults... you are winning me here...

The rest of the stuff, I'm good with. I cream pasta salads etc... mind you, we are in the middle of Winter here, so not that much cold stuff can I serve...

Thanks Mongo!!!!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Al Czervik

I was wondering about the pork "down under" and you confirmed it. I'll have to get the recipe for the potato salad from my wife when she gets home this weekend and will post then. Will also get her hot/cheesy hash brown potato casserole dish recipe and will post that too.

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(")_(")

Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

For large events I cook the majority of the bbq meat ahead and reheat in large aluminum pans of course with some kind of juice and wrapped in foil. Put dogs or brats on the grill for the kids hold them in an aluminum pan usually on a rack above some beer if appropriate (the alcohol cooks out quickly); mac and cheese or beans on the grill.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Al Czervik

Bump...

Brother Bill needs our help.

(\__/)
(")_(")

Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, sliders of any meat would be a hit... ground chicken with little ground bacon mixed in for moisture? Or even pulled beef sliders with the chicken wings.

You ever try a Salsa Verde? Various Roasted green chilli's with smoked onion & Garlic and tortilla's

How about a nice chili with smoked beef (tri tip) as the meat...?

You guy's do alot of lamb down under right? How about a BBQ leg of lamb?

Brainstormin' here...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would do cole slaw over potato salad, a lot easier to do in bulk. I like a simple cole slaw with no mayo. Just make a cider vinegar dressing. Mine looks like this.

for each head of cabbage

1 large head shredded cabbage
2 large carrots shredded
2 red bell peppers shredded or thinkly julienned

1/2 cup cider vinegar
2T fine sugar (or one Tablespoon syrup)
pepper sauce to taste
1/2 T black pepper, fine grind

1/2 cup kosher salt

Mix cabbage and salt, massage thoroughly and let sit for 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly. Add all other ingredients after allowing cabbage to dry, or using a spinner. Mix thoroughly and allow to sit for 20 minutes.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
landarc

If I was going to do wings, I would smoke them completely the day before, chill them overnight. Take them out an hour before and then put on a hot smoker for 15 minutes, glaze and serve.

SSS

Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I was wondering about the pork "down under" and you confirmed it. I'll have to get the recipe for the potato salad from my wife when she gets home this weekend and will post then. Will also get her hot/cheesy hash brown potato casserole dish recipe and will post that too.
I want that recipe, Al! Please!
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I would do cole slaw over potato salad, a lot easier to do in bulk. I like a simple cole slaw with no mayo. Just make a cider vinegar dressing. Mine looks like this.

for each head of cabbage

1 large head shredded cabbage
2 large carrots shredded
2 red bell peppers shredded or thinkly julienned

1/2 cup cider vinegar
2T fine sugar (or one Tablespoon syrup)
pepper sauce to taste
1/2 T black pepper, fine grind

1/2 cup kosher salt

Mix cabbage and salt, massage thoroughly and let sit for 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly. Add all other ingredients after allowing cabbage to dry, or using a spinner. Mix thoroughly and allow to sit for 20 minutes.
+1. Its easy to make a truckload of slaw in relatively no time. Earlier this month, I made some slaw for a gathering of ~30folks. Bought 3 heads of what I thought were not very large cabbage. Turned into enough for about 70 people, given the other items that were put out (YMMV). Didn't take much $ to make either.

How about chili? may be easy to make in bulk, should feel good to eat in the winter... but maybe a tad inconvenient to eat (ie needs a bowl and spoon)?
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
landarc

One of my favorite things to cook as an appetizer for a large group that is both cheap, fast and easy is smoked then grilled sausage. Even cheap sausage that is prepacked can be quickly grilled, then topped with a nice sauce and some veggies. What I have done in the past...

several pounds of grocery store kielbasa or smoked sausage (or Showboat Hot Links)
The day before, smoke them for an hour, then quick chill whole.

The day of event, these go on first, get real hot, grill marks are nice. Wrap in foil and add about 1/8 cup of apple juice to packets, fold and cambro.

The Day before, grill up red bell peppers, zuchinni, onions. Chop into a coarse dice, add some roasted garlic, olive oil, vinegar to create a cold roasted veggie relish. Chill. It is best to have almost soft veggies, a little crunch is best.

Day of service, heat the relish up to warm, add some kosher salt to taste. Chop sausage into bite size, not thin slices, be bold. Toss with veggies and serve in little paper bowls, one bite each. Or, serve in a chafer, with plates and forks, serves a lot, looks terrific and is easily assembled, even tastes good luke warm.

SSS

Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
SmokinJon
Knows what a fatty is.

For a recent Cub Scouts event, I did 20+ pounds of chicken drumsticks. It was proved very popular!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

cole slaw is good, but the option of tater salad is good too Bubba Stew's Slaw is simply

1 lb cabbage
1 C miracle whip (not mayo farkers)
3/4C sugar
1/4 C apple cider vinegar, make it in the mornin, and chill til lunch

and here's my gramma's tater salad recipe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-22 14.31.22.jpg (27.4 KB, 130 views)
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
bbqbull

Pasta salad???
We made one 3 days ago using canned chicken x 2. 1# elbow macaroni, 4 stalks minced celery, 1 small minced onion. Added like 2 cups of miracle whip (mayo) and 4 tablespoons of dill weed....dried type. Then add added a pound of shredded cheddar cheese. This time we added some lemon pepper and a bit of salt to taste. Wife and I make a complete meal out of that.
Google is your friend here mate.

Also thinking of some simple moink balls. Baked beans are always a huge hit. Toss in some fried ground beef. It's an old firehouse recipe my buddy created but it was taught in a cooking class by my friend at the University of Los Vegas Nevada. It was a huge hit!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. "

"Heavily medicated for your protection. "

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->