THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Hey all. Here are two videos i constructed to show how charcoal is made. I used a propane burner from my smoker as the main heat source. It is cheaper for me to use very little propane vs a bunch of wood as the heat source.
Basically, take an unused empty paint can. You can buy them at home depot or lowes. They are roughly 5$ and are just empty cans. But really, any empty can with a metal lid will work. Make sure to punch 4 or 5 holes in the lid for the smoke to escape.
Fill the can up with your wood and then place the top on it.
IMAG1948.jpg

IMAG1949-1.jpg

I placed the can into a weber charcoal chimney and set that above the heat source. i turned it on low. You will begin to se smoke pour out the holes. With in 15 minutes, a TON of smoke will come out. Once the smoke has turned very light blue and is pretty thin, take it off the heat source, open it up and make sure it has carbonized.
IMAG1960-1.jpg

IMAG1957-1.jpg

IMAG1962-1.jpg

This is the importnat part i forgot to do the first time. Make sure to place the lid back on and tip it upside down on the cement or dirt so the holes are covered. If you dont, the hot wood will burn down to ash...
Enjoy and i hope this will be fun for you guys. I know it was for me. Stuff burns HOT to.
Part 1:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iovXP-5v03w"]Making charcoal part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
Part 2:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY3XLSOvSCg"]Making charcoal part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Very cool! I'm tempted to try this now. Any suggestions for a container larger than a paint can but smaller than a drum? I assume the process is the same regardless of the quantity, correct?

For a paint can size, it takes about an hour to an hour and a half. I want to make a bunch at a time and thought about using a 5 gallon metal bucket or a small metal trash can.

The purpose of the chimney for me was to hold the can. My burner has a piece of square tubing that is welded to the top so its hard for the can to ballance on it. The propane works great for me cuz it is way cheaper for me to use gas than it is to buy pine or other wood to birn as heat source. I live in the city so my only option is to buy firewood. Haha so propane is cheapest for me. Its fun to make it though. Hope you all try it out

Very nice, just curious why not just burn/cook the wood itself instead of making charcoal?

I thought of that but its fun to make. Kicks and giggles! Haha. Also i was curious to how much wood would burn away before it gets to ember stage vs how much waste there was from making charcoal. Turns out that the wood chunck loses maybe 15% of its original volume. Ok maybe volume is not the right word. The actual phyiscal shape and size is still at least 85% the same but the mass has changed so it was kindafun to try out.

We used the same method to make charcoal cloth for firestarting in historical re-enactment. Altoids tins and old jeans :)
interesting. Which historical re-enactment group and for which era? civil war? revolutionary?
I might have to make some of that stuff for camping.
@smokindink71: I have an electric burner as well. I may have to try this method out. Is it pretty fast? or does it take longer to heat up and make the charcoal? What kind of electric burner? All i have is a portable single stove top burner and an electric charcoal starter.
Try one of the metal popcorn tins you find around christmas.
Thats what i was trying to figure out the other day. I had a image in my head of a giant tin that i had at one point in time and couldnt think of what it was. But i knew i had one at one point in time. It was a dang pop corn tin. those work great.
Now i just need to find more wood

thanks guys

Very nice, just curious why not just burn/cook the wood itself instead of making charcoal?

When you make charcoal you are burning off a lot of the other resins and 'impurities' that are in 'green' wood. Charcoal creates a better smoke than un-charred wood, IMO. It creates a good even heat/smoke ratio. Most stick burners cook the best when there is a nice bed of redhot 'coals' or charred wood to cook with.

Very cool! I'm tempted to try this now. Any suggestions for a container larger than a paint can but smaller than a drum? I assume the process is the same regardless of the quantity, correct?

I use an old steel oil bucket with lid, aprrox. 5 gallons. And I place it in a 55 gallon drum with a big hole cut in the bottom, so i can place extra logs on the fire. I get a lot of charcoal out it. I use rebar stuck through the sides just above the fire to place the bucket just above the fire.

If you guys/gals really want to know too much about making charcoal, google: bio-char. Some guys re-use the gas that is cooked off of the green wood to reheat the fire. It's really cool! There's a whole world out there for making charcoal - because of it's many uses.

Very cool idea.
I did notice that my smoker seems to stay at a more consistant temp when using lump charcoal.

In order to do some large batches I bet one of those peanut oil turkey fryers might work just right. I used to see them cheap at yard sales pretty frequently.

I don't know why, but this is quite interesting to me. It's not cheaper or easier, but most of my hobbies are that way (smoking, brewing, woodworking, etc) :wacko:

Was your wood green? I have gobs of hickory trees in my yard, but I don't know if I'd like to try to dry it all down.

I don't know why, but this is quite interesting to me. It's not cheaper or easier, but most of my hobbies are that way (smoking, brewing, woodworking, etc) :wacko:

Was your wood green? I have gobs of hickory trees in my yard, but I don't know if I'd like to try to dry it all down.

Well it's definitely not easier. But it's about becoming involved in the whole process. It's like butchering your own hog. It's easier to go get it at the store, but knowing the whole process from start to finish is very satisfying.

I'll disagree with you about the cheap part - it all depends on your source of fuel. I can make 20 lbs of apple lump charcoal for basically nothing because I have tons of firewood for the fuel source and I get all my fruit wood for free as well. I just don't make it much anymore because of that pesky burn ban in my town.
But you are right, if you had to buy your fuel, and your fruit wood - it would be more expensive.

Back