The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Rod Livingston
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default For a contest to be a Qualifier questions

Lets say there was a contest say called " 1st annual bbq contest " that had a proclamation from the Governor but less then 15 were in it and now this year there is going to be a "2nd annual bbq contest " with a proclamation again, does there need to be 25 teams now to be a qualifier for the Jack and American Royal?

My understanding is that if this is the 2nd year of the contest with the same name it doesn't matter what happened the first year or for what reason you had the contest for: the second year has to have 25 teams competing to be a qualifier.

Please let me know. I know there are plenty of you that know this like the back of your hand.

Thanks
Rod Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Livingston View Post
Lets say there was a contest say called " 1st annual bbq contest " that had a proclamation from the Governor but less then 15 were in it and now this year there is going to be a "2nd annual bbq contest " with a proclamation again, does there need to be 25 teams now to be a qualifier for the Jack and American Royal?

My understanding is that if this is the 2nd year of the contest with the same name it doesn't matter what happened the first year or for what reason you had the contest for: the second year has to have 25 teams competing to be a qualifier.

Please let me know. I know there are plenty of you that know this like the back of your hand.

Thanks
You are correct, if it is a second year event with the same name you need 25. Even if the first year wasn't a 4 meat event.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

For the Jack, second and subsequent years need 25 teams, unless it is the *only* qualifying contest for that year in that state, in which case it requires 15 again.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Something I've been wondering: If there is only one qualifier in a state, but some one else from that state wins a non-US qualifier, how would that be handled?

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Big Johnson's BBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the clarification...

Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm going to play the other side, and I am just referring to the JD. The ARI is changing things some.

According to Debbie @ JD, the way I understood it, to be a first year qualifier it had to have a proclamation, cook the 4 main categories, and have a minimum of 15 teams. Any of that not met, it's not a qualifier. Sounds like the event you are referring to was not a qualifier it's first year because of too few teams. So it would be attempting to be a first year qualifier still, because it never has been a qualifier in the past. Just my take and definitely unofficial.
Master Purveyors, Grizzly Coolers,
West Coast Offense, BBQ Guru, Butcher BBQ,
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Livingston View Post

Thanks
Instead of asking for a series of unofficial opinions on the matter here, why don't you call The Jack and The Royal and get an official opinion?
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
Instead of asking for a series of unofficial opinions on the matter here, why don't you call The Jack and The Royal and get an official opinion?
I think that's a GREAT idea - and especially be as specific as possible, as in, be sure to state how this is the 2nd year of the contest and the first year the same contest had the proclamation but not the required # of teams.

The thing you have to remember with both the AR and the JD is that they are INVITATIONALS. If one of them wants to invite someone who hasn't met all the qualifications as specified in the rules, that's up to them - it's their contest, after all. I can tell you that in general they both stick to the rules they've stated, tho. But how your particular contest fits in is something that I'd think would be best answered with an "official" opinion - I know the cooks at that contest would prefer that, too!

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote