Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Default Need some help with birthday/graduation party

I will be cooking four tri-tips and about 20 chicken thighs. Any ideas of how long and what temp to smoke these on my UDS? Oh and any suggestions on rubs?
inraged2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
On the road to being a farker

I assume you have two cooking grates if you plan to do these at the same time? From what I understand you'll want to put the chicken on the bottom to avoid cross contamination. Am I right brethren or am I blowing smoke? I haven't done beef and chicken at the same time yet.
Redhead Weber Bar-B-Q Kettle - Brushed Steel UDS - Weber Genesis - Weber Jumbo Joe
enasnidx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Full Fledged Farker

yea, chicken doesnt take as long so you will be putting it on last. if you have it on at the same time put it ont the lower shelf. if you remove the tri tip and rest you could out chicken on then. open the vents and grill. i use mainly store bought rubs.
KCBS memeber, B.B.Q judge & competitor / 1 weber, 1 ofset, 1 smoker and 1 U.D.S. (so far)
trekmstr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Actually chicken and tri tip should take about the same time. Chicken might take longer, as you want the tri tip to be med rare after rest period. If people don't like med rare, they can have the end pieces which will be med or more.

You're gonna want to run at 325-350 on the UDS so your chix thighs get a nice skin. At that temp, everything should be done in an hour or so. Bottom rack for chix for sure.

Pull the tri tip when internal is around 125 and rest on cutting board, loosely tented under foil for 30 minutes minimum to allow juices to redistribute and let the temp continue to rise into the low 130s. Don't forget to slice across the grain at all times and have some garlic bread handy to clean up the cutting board!

Rubs.. Santa Maria style seasoning, or SPOG on the TT, and to keep it simple, Montreal chicken seasoning on the chix. McCormicks makes a really tasty low sodium Montreal chix seasoning. Or you could do something else, but that would be the simplest. Let the perfectly cooked meat speak for its self.
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. SJS Mini-WSM. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks guys never ceases to amaze me how helpful everybody is on here.
inraged2002 is offline   Reply With Quote