The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #91
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

BTW, brethren, to make sure we honor the BBQ men and women that inspired this sauce, please let others know that it is called Shack Attack. Ol' Shack deserves a lot of the credit. It was his story that inspired the sauce recipe. In Virginia, a lot of former slaves that were freed at the end of the civil war made a living by cooking BBQ using the techniques they learned while enslaved. This sauce is a tribute to every one of them.

I want their stories told and I want them to get the credit they deserve for what they created cooking distinctly American BBQ. It was the contribution of thousands of nameless great BBQ cooks that had a great deal to do with what we all enjoy nowadays as BBQ.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #92
WhatsCookin
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 05-27-12
Location: Austin, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Keen to give this a try. I'm a low-carb guy, so this looks right up my alley.
__________________
1997 Black Old school 3-vent Weber Silver, 2008 Blue Weber Performer
WhatsCookin is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #93
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsCookin View Post
Keen to give this a try. I'm a low-carb guy, so this looks right up my alley.
It sure is. No sugar but full of flavor. And it's good on anything I've tried it on.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #94
wmarkw
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 09-02-11
Location: Evans, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Made the original batch of this on Monday and will try it out on some PP this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #95
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Purgatory, inspired by this sauce and soon to be the first video in a seven day Pitmaster Video Festival, is actually a new obsession of mine. Here is why.... when I release "Purgatory Stout" sauce.... which is essentially a concentrate you place on standby (due to volume) to be "enhanced" later with water, you will see how I am going to be changing A LOT of my sauce recipes. The reason why is.... I typically make three individual and unique sauces when I do charity BBQ's.... what if you found a way to make a stout that has a common path to all three? Or even more.

That's the REVERSE of what some people do.... modify already "perfected" sauces.

For those that cross utilize... having say, 6 quarts of a Purgatory Stout (Shack) on standby... can get you easily to a Unique Hot Sauce (Full Strength), Mustard Sauce add Mustatrd and sugar, Sweet Red Sauce by adding Ketchup and sugar, glaze, by adding pectins, sugars etc, or vinegar sauce by adding water.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #96
stubshaft
Full Fledged Farker
 
stubshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-05-11
Location: State of Confusion - Middle of the Pacific
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made some and it is one of my "go to's" now!
__________________
If God didn't want man to eat animals. He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!
stubshaft is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #97
ardorx
Knows what a fatty is.
 
ardorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-06-11
Location: Huntsville, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up

Used a modified version of this in a finishing glaze on pork loin the other night....crazy good! Thanks for sharing with us!

Last edited by ardorx; 12-19-2012 at 08:11 PM..
ardorx is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #98
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 12-22-10
Location: Huntsville, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Just to add to the list of uses for this sauce: A splash of this goes great on mashed potatoes :P
__________________
CharBroil Red Infrared; Stok Tower; 22.5 WSM; 22.5 OTS
Myrdhyn is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #99
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-24-12
Location: Linz, Austria
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up

I just made my first batch:



I had to deviate from the original recipe as follows:
1 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
As suggested I replaced the 1/4 cup Hot Sauce with 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, because we only have Tabasco and Habanero in tiny expensive bottles, and Sriracha comes with added sugar and some other stuff, that I think should not go into such a fine and all natural product. The vinegar + cayenne had a really nice touch, not too hot, but with an enjoyable tangy kick.

I don't know how many kinds of Paprika you have available over there in powder form, but we always only use Sweet Paprika for rubs and sauces, so it was the logical thing to use for this recipe.

I know there is always a discussion going on about iodized salt, but table or kitchen salt is almost always iodized here, and the only alternative would have been sea salt, but I'm fine with table salt in this mix.

We don't have that really yellow cheap mustard, so when it's about mustard, it's tarragon, which comes in tangy and sweet flavors, I used the tangy one for this sauce.

The result is really surprising. At first I had reservations the sauce could get too thin due to the high amount of liquid, but once it left the blender, is really was a nice smooth sauce with an extraordinary flavor profile. Tangy, very vinegary with a slight kick of hotness. It was hard to stop tasting it, so it has to be good! It will come to good use for this Sunday's pork butt.

Some remaining questions:
  • Do I want to store this sauce in the fridge, or at room temperature?
  • Do I want to shake the bottle once daily till it's used, or just let it sit around?
  • Is there an estimated expiry date or a "best before" opinion?
__________________
WSM 22.5" + Maverick ET732 + SuperFast WHITE Thermapen + Pure Natural Lemon Tree Lump Charcoal
This is not your pork! is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #100
ardorx
Knows what a fatty is.
 
ardorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-06-11
Location: Huntsville, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Sounds like a great version!

1. I leave mine on the counter at room temp
2. I only shake it when I use it, I haven't noticed it to separate (shouldn't since there is no oil/fat)
3. Since it is a vinegar sauce, it would theoretically out last us all, but I don't think it would hurt to go 6 months or more, though it won't last that long I bet
ardorx is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #101
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Purgatory, inspired by this sauce and soon to be the first video in a seven day Pitmaster Video Festival, is actually a new obsession of mine. Here is why.... when I release "Purgatory Stout" sauce.... which is essentially a concentrate you place on standby (due to volume) to be "enhanced" later with water, you will see how I am going to be changing A LOT of my sauce recipes. The reason why is.... I typically make three individual and unique sauces when I do charity BBQ's.... what if you found a way to make a stout that has a common path to all three? Or even more.

That's the REVERSE of what some people do.... modify already "perfected" sauces.

For those that cross utilize... having say, 6 quarts of a Purgatory Stout (Shack) on standby... can get you easily to a Unique Hot Sauce (Full Strength), Mustard Sauce add Mustatrd and sugar, Sweet Red Sauce by adding Ketchup and sugar, glaze, by adding pectins, sugars etc, or vinegar sauce by adding water.
Sounds great!
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #102
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardorx View Post
Used a modified version of this in a finishing glaze on pork loin the other night....crazy good! Thanks for sharing with us!
That pork looks delicious!
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #103
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
I just made my first batch:






I had to deviate from the original recipe as follows:
1 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
As suggested I replaced the 1/4 cup Hot Sauce with 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, because we only have Tabasco and Habanero in tiny expensive bottles, and Sriracha comes with added sugar and some other stuff, that I think should not go into such a fine and all natural product. The vinegar + cayenne had a really nice touch, not too hot, but with an enjoyable tangy kick.

I don't know how many kinds of Paprika you have available over there in powder form, but we always only use Sweet Paprika for rubs and sauces, so it was the logical thing to use for this recipe.

I know there is always a discussion going on about iodized salt, but table or kitchen salt is almost always iodized here, and the only alternative would have been sea salt, but I'm fine with table salt in this mix.

We don't have that really yellow cheap mustard, so when it's about mustard, it's tarragon, which comes in tangy and sweet flavors, I used the tangy one for this sauce.

The result is really surprising. At first I had reservations the sauce could get too thin due to the high amount of liquid, but once it left the blender, is really was a nice smooth sauce with an extraordinary flavor profile. Tangy, very vinegary with a slight kick of hotness. It was hard to stop tasting it, so it has to be good! It will come to good use for this Sunday's pork butt.

Some remaining questions:
  • Do I want to store this sauce in the fridge, or at room temperature?
  • Do I want to shake the bottle once daily till it's used, or just let it sit around?
  • Is there an estimated expiry date or a "best before" opinion?
Looks like you nailed it!

I shake it before use. If you want to extend its shelf life, refrigerate it. My guess is that the shelf life would equal the shelf life of the mustard which is probably about 18 months with refrigeration.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #104
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...80#post2142680

Shack Attack got me off my ass and started our new and first annual Film Festival.... Thanks Boshizzle and Keith Lilly.... Jizzle inspired Puragtory and Lilly inspired the Stout.

Here is what happened... I did an Oyler consult at a local resturant owned by some VP of Applesbees from way back. He was complaining about how he was going through having to make 50 gallon of sauce every few days and in the middle of me looking at his recipe (in his case) everytime he made his sauce to store in the walk in in those 5 gallon buckets he was adding nearly 40% water. I said, dude.... why don;t you make your sauce base, store it as a stout (which will cut down the labor of actually using and cleaning the big water jackets sauce vat) --- this it would cut this down 40% as well and you would have to do it almost half as often, then when you need sauce, simply add your portion of water - this also frees up your cook. Then in the middle of it... after making this Purgatory/Shack thing.... I decided to take my own advice... thus the video.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #105
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker
 
Mo-Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-06
Location: Hurricane Deck Missouri
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I have not read this thread until today but I did make some up and now wish I had made it yesterday because I was going to do some rib tips. Now I think I will wait until tomorrow at least.

I want to stick to the original recipe before making any changes, even used the blender but later after I have tried it on its own, I would like it to be thicker so it will stick better. xanthan gum was mentioned as a thickener, I have never used it and don't have any on hand, do you think arrowroot will do it?

I tasted it and it did not seem to hot, I used Sriracha hot sauce which is all I had on hand and I know it can sneak up on you, out of the question for my wife's taste buds.
Dave
__________________
Lg Spicewine on trailer
Weber charcoal grill
2 ugly drums, semi retired
Bbq toolbox, formerly Chargrill smoker
My wife has gas, its a Brinkman.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts