The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 06-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Keeping take out brisket moist

I had a customer today come in & get 1# of brisket. Told me the last time he was in - the brisket dried out before he got home (about 15 minutes away). I double wrapped the brisket in foil & I know it was not dry when it left. Today, I put it in a 9" round with a few sprays of house wash & hit it with a little more of the wash before putting on the lid. Asked him to left me know if that works.

I know it's the nature of Q to dry out the longer it sits - but want to do what I can to slow that process.

So - looking for suggestions - what do you do to keep brisket (or pork or turkey or chicken) moist when ordered for take out?

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hate to say it, but, sauce. I have tried various methods for keeping brisket, and really, pulled pork moist and there is really two options that worked. One is putting heated sauce on it. The other is putting a fair amount of very hot brisket jus in the foil and wrapping up tight. A moist enviroment that remains hot is what needs to happen.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Can't go the sauce route - just ain't gonna happen. Trying a bit of the house wash (a fairly neutral combo of cider & cider vinegar in a spray bottle) in the package to see if that helps. Might switch over to the pan juice tho. Had a summer college kid who always dunked her bread in that when making a scraps sammie. Said it kept the sandwich hot while driving home. She may have been on to something...

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

that's not a bad idea. maybe toast the bread and dip in very, very, hot jus to keep steam/moisture in the container.

it'd add to cost, but white bread per slice wouldn't be too bad.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
AzQer
Full Fledged Farker

What we do is use the hot juice and wrap it in plastic first then foil haven't had to many complaints since doing this
SMG Smoker
Treager BBQ100
KCBS CBJ #24174
BBQ Brethren Arizona Chapter
BBQ Brethren Drum Corp
AzQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great question!

Make a beef au jus using any and all brisket scraps you can save. Mine is as close to natural juice as you'll ever get. Helps alot.

Line your to go container with a foil sheet also, keeps the liquid in contact with the meat.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote