Please rate my chicken box

bogyo1981

Got Wood.
Reaction score
photo.JPG
This is my chicken box from last weekend. I don't have a overhead image of the box, but any and all critiques would be great.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
WOW on originality. Hopefully someone didnt say it was "marked". That aside, just plain old fashioned scoring, it's basically appetizing to me. The color is a bit dark and the bones are giving of a little bit of a burned note, but not so that it takes away too much. I think it's appetizing. 7 or 8.

Agreed, that is a very original box. I hope it wouldn't be considered marked just because its different. Maybe try wrapping the bones in foil to preven the burnt look. Other than that I think it looks great. I agree with Lake Dogs, probably a 7 or 8, and probably 8 or 9 if the bones weren't so dark and were a bit more uniform on the ends.

I'm gonna be that judge on this one. I would give it a 5. the skin looks like leather. The bones on the left look burnt with a distinct line caused by something and the bones on the right look like you whacked them off with a hammer. Sorry. keith

I would go 7 or 8. Try wrapping tinfoil around your bones next time and make sure the bones are clean since that is the most glaring issue with the box. You may also want to trim the end of the bones to make them uniform.

The line you see on the bottom right is were the edge of the tin foil was. When i was placing them in the box i was more worried about finding uniform sizes on the chicken than looking at the bone ends. At our next comp we are going to try something diffrent with the tinfoil and try to get the bones a lot less char. We also didnt sauce till we got to 165 so we are going to sauce at lower temp so we dont get as dark. They are also skinless.

My wife was just talking to me about trying something like this. I forget the terminology she used about what that style cooking is but I like the concept. I agree with others about looking a little dark and the greens could be tighter. Looks like a 7 to me.

that doesnt look like something I want to dive in and eat. 6

I would really rethink the way I put that box together. That pulled looks really gross.

The pieces are all random size, shape, and color, and the broken bones are a real turn off.

I would wait and sauce when the chicken is close to if not done. Also maybe spritz it to give a little shine to it. One other observation is watch for clumps of sauce. The bottom two pieces seem to suffer from this. keith

There are a few problems with turning in such an original & unique presentation. Once we all get over the "Whoa!", we're left to try to determine whether the chicken presented in front of us is appetizing or not. What is appetizing to one isn't appetizing at all to another. Contrast my write-up to DawgPhan's. He's not wrong; neither am I. He might even be being generous with his 6... I liked it pretty much, but he's not wanting to dive in and take a bite.

It's the same problem with too this or too that in taste. Too much spice and you'll have one crazy judge like me probably love it but the guy next to me, being from the mid-west, hates it and *wham* you're toast.

Try not to alienate judges.

YMMV, I am a cook not a CBJ:

1) Thank you for trying this and posting
2) I do not think the pulled adds anything to the equation, unless it tasted totally awesome.
3) Color is always hard to gauge in pictures, but it does look generally 'darkish'. I do like red tones personally (instead of the lighter golds sometimes seen on chicken) but it appears a bit dark perhaps.
4) So ... the bones look really bad. I am not sure what the 'answer' here is, but you have not found it. Whatever you can do to keep all the bone foiled would help. Making sure you have a clean removal at the joint would help (rather than whacking for the sake of space which is what I presume happened.) Frankly, I can see how someone would look at those bones and say, "are bone fragments in this box somewhere?"

All that being said, I do want to sample some! and I think it is a 7 to me.

I am not CBJ but I will give my opinion.

I would give this a 6 or so. The originality and guts is great. However the burnt bones and rough edges to the bones are unappetizing. Also, the color to me is unnatural for chicken. The greens look a little out of place as well but that could be just the camera angle. Lastly, I like symmetry and the 2 pieces on the pulled chicken looks weird with 4 pieces on or slightly on the pulled chicken. Almost looks like you are trying to hide/cover the pulled.

For me, I am not a fan of this presentation. But that could just be me. I am not trying to be harsh, just giving my impressions.

I am a fairly CBJ, but have a question on procedure. If this box arrived at your table would you be required to taste both the chicken on the bone as well as the pulled chicken at the bottom?

View attachment 66224
This is my chicken box from last weekend. I don't have a overhead image of the box, but any and all critiques would be great.

I don't think anything is wrong with the concept, but the execution needs a little tweaking. The burnt bones is one thing, but I think what catches my eye most is part of the bone is white. The difference just really draws the eye. Another suggestion, and I have seen it done with non-lollypop legs is to put the bone to the center of the box and kind of stagger (weave?) them together, does that make any sense?

I don't think this would be DQ as marking (I could be wrong), it is just a unique presentation.

My score 7, maybe 8 at the table.

I hate to say it, but this doesn't look all that appetizing to me. The meat looks dry and oversauced (a contradiction in terms, but even the sauce looks dry!), the bones - well, I think that they have been adequately described already - broken-off with a hammer and burnt. I do like the originality with the lolli-pop effect, but the pieces could have looked better. IMHO.
At first glance (which is pretty much what you go by in competition) I'd give this a 5 (maybe 6 in person).

Some of this is just the box - if the bones had been towards the middle, perhaps even buried in the greenery, it would have both masked the bones as well as allowed the pulled to play more into the equation.

I agree it isn't quite as "wet" as some but I don't agree that it looks dry - I find myself wanting to try both the lolipop and the pulled. Having both is appealing/intriguing in and of itself.

I do agree that in terms of being a bit different there's more to overcome in terms of appeal in the traditional sense, but as judges we should ignore that and focus on the cook's intentions - difficult for the less experienced judge. The comments on the disarray of the greenery are similar - to be ignored as we don't judge the greens, but sadly does have an effect subconsciously.

I'd give it a 7-8.

Back