The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

 
abangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-26-10
Location: Gainesville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What I would like to see......

KCBS competition...you register and show up with your recipe and cooker. The event organizer provides all the meat and puts it all n coolers...1 cooler per team...everyone gets 1 packer, 2 butts, 4 slabs STL's, and 8 thighs. Number the coolers, put the numbers in a hat, pull a number and let's dance. All meat from same supplier and all same quality/grade. No wagyu or Kurobuta. Just good old everyday stuff.

That would be awesome!!!! It would definitely level the playing field!!!!
__________________
BACKWOODS AUTHORIZED DEALER

WWW.QCOMPANYSMOKERS.COM
CBJ 56048
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
New Pal Frank
Full Fledged Farker

 
New Pal Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-04-10
Location: New Palestine IN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Sounds like fun.
__________________
Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Chubby,UDS, Weber OT Gold
KCBS MCBJ
Super Fast Super Accurate Blue Thermapen, Mavrick 732
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team
New Palestine IN
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Lake Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-09
Location: Lake Sinclair, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I've worked enough with different meats, meat suppliers, etc. that I'd have a tough time convincing myself to put that in the control of someone else, frankly. For the first part, I've learned that my techniques, injections, rubs and sauces dont work worth a flip with meats that have been packed with *something*. Then you'll have people who dont do spares. More who think 1 packer, or 2 butts, or particularly 8 thighs isn't enough. Oh, forgot, you'll have people who dont do thighs too...

Part of the beauty of "the system" is decisions, controls, etc. are left to the competitor, to be able to bring their very best BBQ to bare on any given afternoon.

However, following your train of thought (which isn't terrible, by the way), I think the organizer should also supply all the smokers (every single one) requiring us/you to cook only on the provided smokers, using only the provided wood/heat source. To be truly level we'd all be using the same equipment and cooking the same meats. Otherwise, IMHO, still not nearly level.
__________________
Hance - Lake Dogs Cooking Team - MiM/MBN/GBA CBJ and comp cook
Lake Sinclair, GA (strategically about an hour from everywhere)

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 06-12-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
zoogme
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 05-14-10
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I like to see NO electricity or generators ;)
zoogme is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
fnbish
Babbling Farker

 
fnbish's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Will all of that meat come pre trimmed so I don't have to do it there ? If so I'd give it a whirl. It is a cool idea, but very hard to get implemented.
__________________
-Jason
Shirley Fabrication Offset Awesome Pit
22.5 WSM
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

 
abangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-26-10
Location: Gainesville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I've worked enough with different meats, meat suppliers, etc. that I'd have a tough time convincing myself to put that in the control of someone else, frankly. For the first part, I've learned that my techniques, injections, rubs and sauces dont work worth a flip with meats that have been packed with *something*. Then you'll have people who dont do spares. More who think 1 packer, or 2 butts, or particularly 8 thighs isn't enough. Oh, forgot, you'll have people who dont do thighs too...

Part of the beauty of "the system" is decisions, controls, etc. are left to the competitor, to be able to bring their very best BBQ to bare on any given afternoon.

However, following your train of thought (which isn't terrible, by the way), I think the organizer should also supply all the smokers (every single one) requiring us/you to cook only on the provided smokers, using only the provided wood/heat source. To be truly level we'd all be using the same equipment and cooking the same meats. Otherwise, IMHO, still not nearly level.
I think taking the "premium" cuts of meat out of the equation and having everyone cook the same grade/quality of meat would throw a monkey wrench in some of the KCBS teams system for sure. Hell, think about it, you have Joe Schmoe over here, works a 9-5, has kids and a family, and cooks maybe 6 events per year.......realistically speaking, he can't afford to cook Wagyu and Kurubota. Hell, he (most of us!!!) have to budget to cook in competitions to start with......then you have a heavily sponsored team, a guy that can throw money at a hobby without thinking about it, or a restaurant owner that has a dozen cases of briskets at any one time to choose from.....that makes it tough for ol' Joe to compete!!!

Just saying, I think it would be a great event to see how some of these teams like Jack's Old South (Myron Mixon), Cool Smoke, Memphis BBQ Company (Melissa), etc would do with the quality meat that 95% of us cook!!!!! I'd be willing to bet that you would see more "average Joe" teams getting calls!!!!!


Zoogme, I think that would be great too!!!! No dang power!! Man that would defintely throw some guys for a loop!!!!!
__________________
BACKWOODS AUTHORIZED DEALER

WWW.QCOMPANYSMOKERS.COM
CBJ 56048
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Johnston, Ia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I think you would still have the same teams on top. The differences in todays teams/rankings is not the meat/supplier.
__________________
Memory impairment ... The fee prize at the bottom of every whiskey bottle
Balls Casten is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

 
abangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-26-10
Location: Gainesville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Will all of that meat come pre trimmed so I don't have to do it there ? If so I'd give it a whirl. It is a cool idea, but very hard to get implemented.

Jason, I saw where you did pretty well in Tryon. Your ribs and pork did well. Congrats! But, no, you'd have to trim it yourself!!!!
__________________
BACKWOODS AUTHORIZED DEALER

WWW.QCOMPANYSMOKERS.COM
CBJ 56048
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Lake Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-09
Location: Lake Sinclair, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
I think taking the "premium" cuts of meat out of the equation and having everyone cook the same grade/quality of meat would throw a monkey wrench in some of the KCBS teams system for sure. Hell, think about it, you have Joe Schmoe over here, works a 9-5, has kids and a family, and cooks maybe 6 events per year.......realistically speaking, he can't afford to cook Wagyu and Kurubota. Hell, he (most of us!!!) have to budget to cook in competitions to start with......then you have a heavily sponsored team, a guy that can throw money at a hobby without thinking about it, or a restaurant owner that has a dozen cases of briskets at any one time to choose from.....that makes it tough for ol' Joe to compete!!!

Just saying, I think it would be a great event to see how some of these teams like Jack's Old South (Myron Mixon), Cool Smoke, Memphis BBQ Company (Melissa), etc would do with the quality meat that 95% of us cook!!!!! I'd be willing to bet that you would see more "average Joe" teams getting calls!!!!!


Zoogme, I think that would be great too!!!! No dang power!! Man that would defintely throw some guys for a loop!!!!!

I'm right there with you. I've funded all my competitions by myself, no help from team members. I've had the luxury of competing against Myron on a few occasions and so far I've outscored him a few times and so far he's yet to GC any of the competitions I compete in. I've not had the opportunity to run into Tuffy or Melissa and Pete yet.

I hear all the time that the "big teams" (meaning big money, big rigs, notoriety, etc.) have an advantage. Truth be told, their advantage is KNOWLEDGE. That's it. They know how to do it.

Money doesnt buy wins. Knowledge wins.
__________________
Hance - Lake Dogs Cooking Team - MiM/MBN/GBA CBJ and comp cook
Lake Sinclair, GA (strategically about an hour from everywhere)
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

 
cpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-11
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
KCBS competition...you register and show up with your recipe and cooker. The event organizer provides all the meat and puts it all n coolers...1 cooler per team...everyone gets 1 packer, 2 butts, 4 slabs STL's, and 8 thighs. Number the coolers, put the numbers in a hat, pull a number and let's dance. All meat from same supplier and all same quality/grade. No wagyu or Kurobuta. Just good old everyday stuff.

That would be awesome!!!! It would definitely level the playing field!!!!
The South Carolina BBQ Association does a variation on this. In SCBA events, you only cook butts and ribs, and the organizer provides both. The main difference is that almost always, they provide a case of each.

EDIT: Also, the cost to enter the comps isn't any higher than a KCBS event. All of them I've done have been $200 or under to enter. The comps make their money by selling tickets so the public can sample the leftover meat that the cookers don't use.
__________________
________________
Superior SS1
Lang 84 Deluxe
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
G$
is One Chatty Farker
 
G$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-05
Location: Southern Arizona
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
KCBS competition...you register and show up with your recipe and cooker. The event organizer provides all the meat and puts it all n coolers...1 cooler per team...everyone gets 1 packer, 2 butts, 4 slabs STL's, and 8 thighs. Number the coolers, put the numbers in a hat, pull a number and let's dance. All meat from same supplier and all same quality/grade. No wagyu or Kurobuta. Just good old everyday stuff.

That would be awesome!!!! It would definitely level the playing field!!!!

http://www.rachaelray.com/blogs/index.php/2012/05/07/the-bare-bones-bbq-a-contest-and-a-manifesto/
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

 
Q-Dat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-03-08
Location: Pearl River LA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Of all the uneven playing fields in competition BBQ, meat quality has got to be the most uneven. People can say "still gotta cook it right" all they want to, but a better piece of meat is a better piece of meat.

That being said, try to limit it to the use of meat that can be purchased at the typical supermarket, and you will see a riot.

Competition BBQ: Taking food for the common man, and making it an a way that a common man can't/won't afford to do.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 08-09-07
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
I think taking the "premium" cuts of meat out of the equation and having everyone cook the same grade/quality of meat would throw a monkey wrench in some of the KCBS teams system for sure. Hell, think about it, you have Joe Schmoe over here, works a 9-5, has kids and a family, and cooks maybe 6 events per year.......realistically speaking, he can't afford to cook Wagyu and Kurubota. Hell, he (most of us!!!) have to budget to cook in competitions to start with......then you have a heavily sponsored team, a guy that can throw money at a hobby without thinking about it, or a restaurant owner that has a dozen cases of briskets at any one time to choose from.....that makes it tough for ol' Joe to compete!!!

Just saying, I think it would be a great event to see how some of these teams like Jack's Old South (Myron Mixon), Cool Smoke, Memphis BBQ Company (Melissa), etc would do with the quality meat that 95% of us cook!!!!! I'd be willing to bet that you would see more "average Joe" teams getting calls!!!!!


Zoogme, I think that would be great too!!!! No dang power!! Man that would defintely throw some guys for a loop!!!!!

you wouldnt see more average teams get called. They are average. Average BBQ doesnt get called. The teams that win, do so because they are a better bbq cook than the average joe.

This whole idea of creating a contest to bring people down to your level is beyond redic...first, the only people entering such a contest are going to be people at the bottom rungs of competition anyway, unless the prize money is in high 5 digit range.

Secondly, why the sudden need to bring the best down a notch? Focus more on raising your game within the rules and worry less about what the other guy is doing.

Fancy meat and restaurant names dont get called, good cooks, cooking high quality bbq, landing on good tables get called. If you aren't getting called focus on what you can control and get better.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

 
Rub's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-06
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I had my contest meat stolen out of my cooler at work this past weekend. A friend met me at the contest at 6pm with new stuff he rounded up. Pulled a rgc outta my butt ;)
I'm in!
__________________
-Rub
Swamp Boys
BPS Elite Team
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
fnbish
Babbling Farker

 
fnbish's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Jason, I saw where you did pretty well in Tryon. Your ribs and pork did well. Congrats! But, no, you'd have to trim it yourself!!!!
Thanks. I've been cooking and practicing a bunch and glad to see it is working. You guys are close to me in Gainesville. Is your place a store where folks can come by and look at what you have?

Oh and if I have to trim stuff there then I'm totally against this new process ..........
__________________
-Jason
Shirley Fabrication Offset Awesome Pit
22.5 WSM
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts