ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhpilot View Post
Luzianne, 6-7 bags.
1 cup of sugar (the wife likes 1.5 cups) added while still hot.

Unsweetened tea + sugar does not = sweet tea. :)

Ricky
Agreed,gotta add the sugar while the tea is hot.And Luzianne is the way to go........................Dont forget the lemon slice in your frosted mason jar though
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 1

Luzianne-decaf regular size bags I like about 8

simple syrup boil 2 cups water add 2 cups sugars boil for an additional 1 minute.

Cool and add to cooled & iced tea.
Future Smoker
$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!!

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

We don't boil our tea. When the temps start hitting 90 outside, we set up a foodservice size Lipton tea bag (the big one) in a gallon of water and leave it outside. For a stronger tea, squeeze the bag before removing it after several hours of steeping. We add a ladle of sugar (probaby 1/2 -3/4 cup) sugar and stir it in. The sugar mixes in well with the warm water, then we stick it in the refrigerator. Tea comes out really nice and smooth after steeping in the Texas sun all day.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Luzianne 4 family bags per gallon. I prefer unsweet.

For sweet also mix in 1.5-2cups of sugar to taste OR serve simple syrup on the side of the unsweet tea and people can sweeten to taste.

The key here is it must be Luzianne brand :P

Unread 06-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Gonna have to try the baking soda thing.

Unread 06-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Fortunately tea isn't expensive, so you can afford to experiment.

I think you should start here.
4 bags of lipton
1 cup of sugar
Pinch of salt

In a small pot of water bring the teabags, sugar, and salt to a boil. Then turn the heat off and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then remove the teabags and pour it into a 1 gallon pitcher. Then add ice water to make the rest of the gallon.

Done!

Try this. If the sweetness isn't to your liking adjust it accordingly on your next batch. Same thing with the strength of the tea flavor. I like my tea a little stronger than most so I use 5 tea bags.

Also if you are using decaf tea, it will take more to equal the same flavor.

Edit: If you want something really killer, cut the sugar back a little and add some of the juice from a can of Peaches in Heavy Syrup!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Luzianne tea and sugar to personnel taste... There you go...
Agree with T

To really get going, try sweet tea vodka
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Southern Sweet Tea

2 family sized Luzianne tea bags
1 1/2 cups sugar
dash baking soda
1 gallon water

Boil 1 qt water. Add tea bags and pull off heat and let steep with lid on about 20 minutes. Put sugar in gallon container along with baking soda. Pour hot steeped tea over and stir til sugar disolves. Add rest of gallon with cold water. Put in fridge for a few hours or better overnight. Always sweeter the next day. Perfect every time.
Jeff - KCBS #67908

Kamado Joe Big Joe
UDS x 2
BQ Grills Patio
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
mattdean1003
On the road to being a farker

Why, oh WHY did you mention Peach syrup in tea?????? My FAVORITE tea is peach tea!

I do 4 family sized Luzianne bags, cup and a half or so of sugar, but I also run mine through the coffee maker. We've got one of those Mr Coffee "filtered" coffee makers, and I mean filtered as in it's got a "change monthly" water filter that sits on top of the mesh, reuseable coffee filter. Open teabags, pour into the mesh coffee filter, set brew to strong, and let er' rip. We don't even use that little paper filter. Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Got a smokin' deal on the coffee maker though LOL

What I've been doing is actually cooking down a can of peaches with about a cup or so of sugar. Been wanting to try peach puree but I think regular juice will do. Little off topic, but I remember going up north to NJ a few years back to visit a friend, and we stopped in McDonalds one day for a quick bite so we could resume railfanning (watching Amtrak fly by at 150+ mph on the Northeast Corridor). I got the usual dbl quarter w/cheese combo and out of pure habit, asked for sweet tea. Silence. She said "We have hot tea, and we have green tea. You may add sugar but we do not."
mattdean1003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Luzianne is my choice, too. I make it strong, and pour the hot tea into my glass of ice ice to dilute it just the right amount.

The amount of sugar is a personal taste thing, IMO.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdean1003 View Post
Why, oh WHY did you mention Peach syrup in tea?????? My FAVORITE tea is peach tea!

I do 4 family sized Luzianne bags, cup and a half or so of sugar, but I also run mine through the coffee maker. We've got one of those Mr Coffee "filtered" coffee makers, and I mean filtered as in it's got a "change monthly" water filter that sits on top of the mesh, reuseable coffee filter. Open teabags, pour into the mesh coffee filter, set brew to strong, and let er' rip. We don't even use that little paper filter. Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Got a smokin' deal on the coffee maker though LOL

What I've been doing is actually cooking down a can of peaches with about a cup or so of sugar. Been wanting to try peach puree but I think regular juice will do. Little off topic, but I remember going up north to NJ a few years back to visit a friend, and we stopped in McDonalds one day for a quick bite so we could resume railfanning (watching Amtrak fly by at 150+ mph on the Northeast Corridor). I got the usual dbl quarter w/cheese combo and out of pure habit, asked for sweet tea. Silence. She said "We have hot tea, and we have green tea. You may add sugar but we do not."
All of the Mickey D's around here actually have "brewed" sweet tea. It is pretty good. Our son works at one and occassionally he will bring home a gallon.
Jeff - KCBS #67908

Kamado Joe Big Joe
UDS x 2
BQ Grills Patio
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

If anyone lives near a McCallister's Deli, they make really great tea.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #28
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassSmoke View Post
3 Family size tea bags
we use 3/4 cup sugar, but most use 1 cup

boil water in sauce pan, remove from heat, place 3 tea bags in water for about 20 min.
gal jug ( old clean milk jug works) add sugar and then hot tea..shake to mix sugar and tea, fill up with cold water....
works for me. Not as sweet as Micky D's tea
I concur with the 3 family size tea bags. Luzianne of course.

Unread 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

At the Hut - we start by making simple syrup. Once that has gone clear & the sugar is completely dissolved - we let it go a little until small bubbles start to form (just the starting edge of boiling). We pull it from the heat - throw in some tea bags - & cover & let steep for 1 hour. This ends up being a concentrated base we can use to make multiple batches of Sweet Tea. Was told by someone from Georgia last week that he did not believe he could find great Q & Sweet Tea in New York but we proved him wrong on both counts.

Oh yes - the recipe is my grandmother's as well...

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #30
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker