The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default The elusive Smokey Joe Platinum aka Jumbo Joe...

NOT!!!

A while back, I posted on the tvwb forum, fishing for an SJP. I had been longing for one (yes, I know I could have modded an 18.5" kettle to look just the same, but that's like kissing your sister... just not the same as the real thing). Had a near miss or two, when the occasional (rare) SJP came up on CL, but nothing worked out. A relative stranger from the tvwb forum responded, offering an SJP, but the price +shipping was more than I was willing to spend.

Fast forward a few months, and this person writes to me again, out of the blue, asking if I was still interested in an SJP. Is a frog's a$$ watertight? Of course I was interested!!! He offered it for the price he paid for it ($25) from a CL deal. Shipping was estimated at $25 using UPS.

The pics looked like the SJP was in great condition. My new friend packaged everything up, but when he took it in, UPS said shipping would be $36, because of the size. Being a gentleman, my mysterious benefactor kept to the orginal shipping charge he quoted me, even though I said I was fine with paying the extra $$ (could have happened to anyone) and offered to do so.

Well, my SJP arrived this week! It was meticulously packaged, and was in great shape. The previous owner probably overtightened the leg screws and so the procelain finish was a bit chipped around the leg bolt holes. I sprayed some high paint around the areas to try and prevent rusting or further chipping. Might need a new cooking grate, so I will try to get one from Weber if they still stock the cooking grate (it is a little bigger than the standard 18.5" cooking grate). I am considering adding a vent mod, but I don't know yet if I want add a One Touch cleaner, or just a vent damper on the bottom... or if I just want to leave it alone. Weber has free shipping this month (w00t!) so I should figure out what I need and get the order in.

I will be cooking on it this weekend, for sure. I am quite excited about this baby, maybe more than I should be. But ITS MINE NOW!!!

So, Stu... if you happen to be reading this - THANK YOU, again! I think I will have a lot of fun with my SJP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-04 16.27.39.jpg (20.7 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-04 16.30.08.jpg (43.8 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-04 16.32.12.jpg (18.2 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-04 16.39.08.jpg (24.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-04 18.09.42.jpg (23.9 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-08 16.14.18.jpg (44.7 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-08 16.15.16.jpg (40.7 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-08 16.16.30.jpg (32.1 KB, 350 views)
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
bluegrass smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome!! I have one on the way it will be here monday... Sadly we are going on vacation so it wont have it
- Big Easy Turkey Fryer
- Old Country BBQ Smoker
- UDS
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
bluegrass smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Now caliking and bluegrass smoke are on my list of brethren I hate.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
bluegrass smoke
Full Fledged Farker

I found one on CL in Charlotte,NC at a closeout store.... The guy said he has been shipping them all over the country... I got the display model so hopefully everything makes it here ok.
- Big Easy Turkey Fryer
- Old Country BBQ Smoker
- UDS
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
bluegrass smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
gtr

Downloads: 2

I wonder what size stock pot fits in one of those...
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrass smoke View Post
I found one on CL in Charlotte,NC at a closeout store.... The guy said he has been shipping them all over the country... I got the display model so hopefully everything makes it here ok.
Can you PM me contact information -- assuming he has more?

CD

Unread 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Wow, nice find. I'd like to have one like that...... only a little bit smaller.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Wow, nice find. I'd like to have one like that...... only a little bit smaller.
That would be a Smokey Joe Gold. Exactly the same, but 14 inches instead of 18.5 inches.

CD

Unread 06-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I remember someone posted it in the 'for sale' section of the forum. I thought about buying one of them. In the picture it looked like he had 3 or 4. I think they were $75 a piece, I don't know what shipping would run?

Unread 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
rockbottom
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Glad you were able to find one. I bought mine about 7 years ago. I still treat it like a baby but it sure does cook great. It is a great size for a portable grill.
rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Now caliking and bluegrass smoke are on my list of brethren I hate.

CD
"Don't hate the playa, playa... playa, hate the game!"
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbBBQ View Post
I remember someone posted it in the 'for sale' section of the forum. I thought about buying one of them. In the picture it looked like he had 3 or 4. I think they were $75 a piece, I don't know what shipping would run?

With UPS, it was $36 - gets charged by weight and by size. Sent from WI to TX.

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I wonder what size stock pot fits in one of those...

A big farkin one... about the size of a 30 gallon drum, methinks. Made my midi UDS from one, and the 18.5" lid and grates fit like they were made for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-29 18.35.28.jpg (38.8 KB, 258 views)

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
swamprb

Cool! I found this for $2 at a garage sale!

New handle, wire bale, dampers and a grate and its as good as a new "N" Jumbo Joe SJP!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
VoodoChild
Full Fledged Farker

Man Ive Been Looking as well ,And here In Phx the absolute Non BBq capitol of The desert...No Good ....Man I Just Hope I dont End Up Having to Kiss My Sisiter !! And Do a 18.5 kettle Mod .
[I]1-Weber 26.75 otg[/I]
[I]Nexgrill Gas[/I]
[I]Beefeater 3000s w/Cart -Gas[/I]
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote