Double rib cut

manbearpig

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you all think of the double rib cut like Melissa Cookston turned in on Pitmasters. I like it it. It's the way I always cut for family get togethers.Do you think we'll see it more in competition?

The double cut rib would be hard to use in competition. You have to turn in at least 6 servings in your box, and unless you were cooking very small ribs, I think it would be tough to fit 12 rib bones in a box!

Good point. Although she did it with babybacks I think you could squeeze St. Louis ribs in there too.

Great idea but I am not sure you could get enough ribs in there for six judges. It is this kind of creative thinking that will make you and your bbq partner grand champions

MBN and MIM it's been the average/typical cut for at least the last 8 or 9 years....

I dont think it'll fly with consistency in KCBS comps because of how they define the perfectly tender rib (bite through), where in MBN/MIM (and GBA) it's defined as "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance"; in this case the 2 bone cut gives the judge two bones to "pull apart".

MBN and MIM it's been the average/typical cut for at least the last 8 or 9 years....

I dont think it'll fly with consistency in KCBS comps because of how they define the perfectly tender rib (bite through), where in MBN/MIM (and GBA) it's defined as "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance"; in this case the 2 bone cut gives the judge two bones to "pull apart".
Neither of those require your meat to go in a 9x9 box do they? I still think it's an issue of having room in your box for KCBS style comps!

Neither of those require your meat to go in a 9x9 box do they? I still think it's an issue of having room in your box for KCBS style comps!

I do believe MBN/MIM has a "blind" portion of judging that is presented in a standard styro clamshell....

I turn in baby backs for KCBS, and on numerous occasions have turned in 6 over 6 for a total of 12 bones.

Not sure why it wouldn't fit. I mean she turned in 12 bones in her box. It was 3 dry double cuts and 3 wet double cuts.

If you are going to do a double cut, you have better be damn sure the ribs are spot on. If they aren't, its going to show very quickly when they try to separate the ribs.

Yes, they both require it. Mind you, both of these are no garnish sanctioning bodies, so you dont have that in there taking up space.

I've actually done this a few times in KCBS for fun, and actually got 8's and 9's in tenderness...
asdfasdf_n.jpg

I was taught the double bone cut many years ago. Its the way to go in MBN competitions, and at Memphis in May

Like it was said before MBN/MIM blind box turn ins are this cut...that is why Melissa cut them that way.

MIM/MBN also is sans garnish...meat only. That is how you can fit 6 samples in a standard 9x9 clamshell.

I tried turning in this cut when I first started doing KCBS about 5 years ago. It was not recieved well...I switched to the standard single bone cut and have done better...It is as was said before, the judging standards are different, therefore it is hard (but not impossible) to use the double bone cut and win in KCBS.

Neil

Back