The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
vbhewitt16
Found some matches.

Default First Competition

For my first cook off, I entered the Milk Cow Music Festival BBQ Competition. Which was a KCBS event, and was looking for some feed back. With no experience cooking for judges before, I finished 47th out of 50 which I think as a win for me not to finish last. I was just looking for tips on about everything, from trimming meat to glazes and presentation. When I get time I was told to get my CBJ, but until then I was wanting a little help with getting started on the next one. I was cooking on a Lang 48 and a Webber Smokey Mountain.
vbhewitt16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

congrats on getting the first competition out of the way... we cooked the milk cow as well, we were in the far back corner of the field by the beer tent and port o johns... so when is the next one...

Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I took the CBJ class in March and my first comp is in a week. I thought it gave a nice insight on what judges do when they judge your entries. There is so much great info on this site for each of the topics you listed above just type them in the search and grab a beer. Congrats on not finishing last that's my goal next weekend!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
vbhewitt16
Found some matches.

Thinking about a smaller local event close to Lafayette towards the end of the summer. I do remember seeing your cooker. A Jambo with blue airbrush on it.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

your question is a bit broad....start with these for great overview tutorials. then, once the info is assimilated, ask specific questions and you'll for sure get the help you seek.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...n-brisket.html

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...n-chicken.html

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...tion-pork.html

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

follow the pickled pig tutorials and dont be afraid to expirament, those are where we got our start... now you see what we have evolved into... LOL its addicting. Next time dont be afraid to stop by we always open to visitors...

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Do you have pictures of your turn in boxes? That's pretty beneficial to do and the people on here are fantastic about giving their honest opinion. Not always what you want to hear to feel good, but the folks on here helped me move up a lot from comp 1 to comp 2.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
vbhewitt16
Found some matches.

Default rib turn in box

IMG_20120607_164823.jpg

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
vbhewitt16
Found some matches.

IMG_20120607_201906.jpg

IMG_20120607_202023.jpg

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Some people will knock you for the garnish. It appears to be covering up some of the meat and looks like the meat is pushed down into it. You're supposed to look at the meat, but that's crap. People will look at it all and that's how you'l be judged, so be careful about how the meat looks with the garnish you present.

Ribs look a little uneven in here and sorta thrown in. I've learned that people want uniform ribs that look as, even if they're not, from the same rack. They appear to be a little off color. I'd give it a 6 or maybe a 7.

Chicken looks burnt and does not look appetizing. Pieces do not look uniform and look to be just thrown in the box. Nothing about this makes me want to taste it. I'd give it a 5 or 6.

Small photo, so kinda hard to tell. The brisket looks good, though. Big pieces, but they may appear a little dry. You did a great job of making the pieces appear uniform in the box. Shouldn't matter in KCBS judging, but the smokering is good. May be a little dry, however. I'd give it an 8.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
vbhewitt16
Found some matches.

Default Scores

IMG_20120608_111342.jpg

Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbhewitt16 View Post
Congrats on cooking your first comp. You picked a difficult contest for your first cook. Take a look at BBQcritic.com to see what scores well.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Some people will knock you for the garnish. It appears to be covering up some of the meat and looks like the meat is pushed down into it. You're supposed to look at the meat, but that's crap. People will look at it all and that's how you'l be judged, so be careful about how the meat looks with the garnish you present.

Ribs look a little uneven in here and sorta thrown in. I've learned that people want uniform ribs that look as, even if they're not, from the same rack. They appear to be a little off color. I'd give it a 6 or maybe a 7.

Chicken looks burnt and does not look appetizing. Pieces do not look uniform and look to be just thrown in the box. Nothing about this makes me want to taste it. I'd give it a 5 or 6.

Small photo, so kinda hard to tell. The brisket looks good, though. Big pieces, but they may appear a little dry. You did a great job of making the pieces appear uniform in the box. Shouldn't matter in KCBS judging, but the smokering is good. May be a little dry, however. I'd give it an 8.
Only thing I'd add is throw in some burnt ends with that brisket

Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkingINpublic View Post
Only thing I'd add is throw in some burnt ends with that brisket
Only put them in if they are REALLY good.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
sweetracks
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on the first comp. It was a tough field. I'm not sure if we me or not.
The first cook is often the hardest and a bit of a reality check to some people...especially if they have no comp experience at all. They aren't the worst boxes I've seen and we've definitely turned in worse. The first thing I noticed in the pictures was the haphazard garnish. It is detracting from the meat, which in the case of the ribs and brisket, look good.

Remember how the scores are weighed. Each appearance point counts as roughly 1/2 point. And each Taste point counts as roughly 2 points. I would focus on the taste of your product first since your appearance scores weren't what really hurt you.

See if another team would be willing to let you attend a comp with them. Shadowing another team is great way to learn all kinds of things.