oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Default Cooler for resting meats??

So I was going to buy a insulated food carrier of some sort, but the misses ain't having that (it's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission:what:). So anyway I'm at a job site I worked on two weeks ago and this Coleman xtream 120Q is still up here and hasn't moved, I was seeing if this is any good for resting briskets and butts anyone have one/use one for resting? I know any cooler will work if you stuff enough towels in it for resting food this one will be free and I'll come back up here Friday an pick it up if it's still here most likely it will.
[B]|[/B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]HOOK'EM[/B][/COLOR] [B][B]UDS[/B]|[B][COLOR="DimGray"]MINI UDS[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Black"]|22.5 WEBER PERF[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|B&B[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|OAK & PECAN[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"][B]|DIGIQ[/B][COLOR="Black"][B]|[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"][B]TW8060[/B][/COLOR][B]|THERMAPEN[/B] [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR][B]|[/B][B][COLOR="Black"]Char[/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Red"]-Griller[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Akorn[/COLOR][/B][B]|[/B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/thinblue.smokery"][COLOR="Red"][B]Thin[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"] [B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Smokery[/B][/COLOR][/URL][B]|[/B]
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i use coleman extreme 7 day coolers and they work very very well. i would imagine this one would too.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think any good cooler would work fine. That one looks very big so 1 Butt would really need a lot of Towels or Blankets to take up the dead air space.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I pretty much any cooler that will fit the amount of meat and towel wrap works for me. but yea putting one piece of meat in a huge cooler don't quite work.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

I have that exact cooler in White/Blue that I rest my meat in. I did add 4 speakers to the outside and an amplifier with car battery that takes up a little space, but I put one moving blanket in the bottom, and one over the meat, and it will hold for at least 6-8 hours. I've taken my butts/brisket off at a competition at 2am, and they were still too hot to touch at noon!
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
I have that exact cooler in White/Blue that I rest my meat in. I did add 4 speakers to the outside and an amplifier with car battery that takes up a little space, but I put one moving blanket in the bottom, and one over the meat, and it will hold for at least 6-8 hours. I've taken my butts/brisket off at a competition at 2am, and they were still too hot to touch at noon!
Lol my buddy wanted to make a radio cooler out of it, but what you did with yours is the best of both worlds you have any pics?

Thx for the replies brothas.
[B]|[/B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]HOOK'EM[/B][/COLOR] [B][B]UDS[/B]|[B][COLOR="DimGray"]MINI UDS[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Black"]|22.5 WEBER PERF[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|B&B[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|OAK & PECAN[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"][B]|DIGIQ[/B][COLOR="Black"][B]|[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"][B]TW8060[/B][/COLOR][B]|THERMAPEN[/B] [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR][B]|[/B][B][COLOR="Black"]Char[/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Red"]-Griller[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Akorn[/COLOR][/B][B]|[/B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/thinblue.smokery"][COLOR="Red"][B]Thin[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"] [B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Smokery[/B][/COLOR][/URL][B]|[/B]

Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

How do you rest meat in a cooler? wouldnt that be holding?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
How do you rest meat in a cooler? wouldnt that be holding?
Kinda the samething to me really, I rest/hold briskets/butts for several hours to re distribute the juices. A lot to my cooking involves long rest/hold times mainly for briskets in a smaller cooler for paying folks.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
mcbrew13
Knows what a fatty is.

I use a Coleman like that for my holding. Assuming it is the same size (not sure?), it works well. I looked for one large enough to hold full size pans. I just line the bottom with newspaper (easy cleanup/just in case). And place some large towels over the meat. I usually do 2 packer and 2 butts. Never had a problem holding temp.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use a large cooler like that. Here is a tip, if you can find one, get a mover's pad (blanket) and fold it up to fit in the cooler. One thick, quilted pad takes up just about all the room in my cooler and really insulates the meat. I fold the pad lengthwise and then layer it in the cooler. When it comes time to put the meat in, I just pull back two layers and in it goes with the layers back on top.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I use a large cooler like that. Here is a tip, if you can find one, get a mover's pad (blanket) and fold it up to fit in the cooler. One thick, quilted pad takes up just about all the room in my cooler and really insulates the meat. I fold the pad lengthwise and then layer it in the cooler. When it comes time to put the meat in, I just pull back two layers and in it goes with the layers back on top.

I do a very similar thing but use old towels. Not as well insulated as the movers blankets but works well.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Mr. 2LM
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Coolers work great, I use ones with wheels, so I use them for carrying gear to and from the comps. I fill mine with crumpled newspaper, which is a great insulator and when the meat leaks (as it ALWAYS does) you jsut throw away the paper, no laundry necessary.
Mr. 2LM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
That's how I do it as well with the same kinda blue mover/packing blankets they work great brotha:thumbup:

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I use 3 28qt coolers. 1 each for briskets, butts, MM butts. Works well as long as everyone knows whats in what. Liberty IN buddy shredded my $ muscle.