The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 06-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
okiereddirt
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Where to start

I am interested in starting a concessions trailer and just want some pointers on where to start. I want to start out with PP sandwiches and broaden the menu as business increases.
Obviously I need to get with the HD and local authorities on code. I would like to keep it as small as possible. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by okiereddirt; 06-05-2012 at 10:33 AM..
okiereddirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
jacksedona
Take a breath!

im interested in doing the same you need to contact the health department in your county to find out the requirements for mobile food vendor if you need to get some specific permits. i know you will need a food worker certificate its a national requirement in every state. you can do the studying on line, then here in arizona their is also a food manager certificate im getting both

best wishes

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Unread 06-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
speers90
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksedona View Post
im interested in doing the same you need to contact the health department in your county to find out the requirements for mobile food vendor if you need to get some specific permits. i know you will need a food worker certificate its a national requirement in every state. you can do the studying on line, then here in arizona their is also a food manager certificate im getting both

best wishes

http://thebarbecuemaster.net
If you are just running a mobile food unit (food truck or bbq vending trailer) then you may not need food worker certification. In Minnesota, under the list of those not required it lists:

Food carts, mobile food units, seasonal permanent or temporary food stands, special event food stands, retail food vehicles, portable structures, carts or vending machines.

I am in favor of going ahead and getting the training but I don't think it is a necessity in all states. I think it depends on what type of food business you are running.

Meadow Creek TS250 With 42" Chicken Cooker
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
jacksedona
Take a breath!

ryan,

thanks for answering my question.
i want to eventually run a small take out restaurant and the maricopa county health department here in Az told me im better of getting both certificates so im going to study online and do it their way.

Unread 06-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
speers90
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksedona View Post
ryan,

thanks for answering my question.
i want to eventually run a small take out restaurant and the maricopa county health department here in Az told me im better of getting both certificates so im going to study online and do it their way.
I think that is a wise move on your part!

Meadow Creek TS250 With 42" Chicken Cooker
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote