The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
K-Train
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Shelters for Comps

Anyone have suggestions for a good canopy with removable sides? I'm not looking to spend a lot of $$. I'm currently using an ez-up, but she's about to "give up the ghost". Thanks for any and all suggestions
WSM 22.5
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

We just bought 2 new ones from Costco. They are only in white, at least down here, but appear to be decent quality. They are square-legged, 10x10. I'm not sure if the framing is aluminum or pot metal but they are not super-heavy-duty so some care does need to be taken in the wind and storms. Make sure they are tied down well.

They come with 4 separate walls. They attach at the top with a 2" wide strip of velcro along the entire side and have 3 velcro loops to wrap around each pole (leg). They zipper together at the corners. 1 wall has a zipper in the middle for a door if you want to put all four (6) sides up.

What is a bonus is they also come with an extra 10'x8" tall panel that is plain (white) but has 4 quick-snap buckles that attaches to the top. You could either have this piece printed or put some grommets in it to attach your own banner to it easily.

I'm pleased with them for $200. Take care of them in the wind and they should last a while.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
bbq.tom
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

I use a "First Up" from WalMart. Fairly substantial (compared to others that I've used) and only $99.00. Sides are sold separately ($19.99 each).
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
gooose53
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
We just bought 2 new ones from Costco. They are only in white, at least down here, but appear to be decent quality. They are square-legged, 10x10. I'm not sure if the framing is aluminum or pot metal but they are not super-heavy-duty so some care does need to be taken in the wind and storms. Make sure they are tied down well.

They come with 4 separate walls. They attach at the top with a 2" wide strip of velcro along the entire side and have 3 velcro loops to wrap around each pole (leg). They zipper together at the corners. 1 wall has a zipper in the middle for a door if you want to put all four (6) sides up.

What is a bonus is they also come with an extra 10'x8" tall panel that is plain (white) but has 4 quick-snap buckles that attaches to the top. You could either have this piece printed or put some grommets in it to attach your own banner to it easily.

I'm pleased with them for $200. Take care of them in the wind and they should last a while.
I use the same one from Sam's. They work well but as mentioned care needs to be taken in rough weather.

Unread 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
FlavorSavor
On the road to being a farker

New, these tents are not cheap. They're actually about $4k. But used, you can get a deal.
http://www.acsupplies.com/cemetery.htm

I bought a 15'x20' Steril tent for $350 which also included 4 sides. I got it from a cemetery vault company. The vault companies keep their stuff looking new, so worn tents and other equipment, even if it functions just fine, is sold or trashed.

The tents are somewhat complicated to set up, especially the first few times. Not nearly as easy as an easy-up. They're also heavy and awkward to transport. But once they're up, they're nice to have. I've seen many easy-up's crumble under high wind storms; these cemetery tents are much more robust and can stand up to the winds and heavy rain. Not sure it could be set up over asphalt, though, as there are steel rods hammed in with a sledge-hammer for the four legs to sit on.
FlavorSavor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
bodcat
Knows what a fatty is.

10 x 20 car port works great!

Unread 06-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Here is the one I use... I catch them on sale for usually just under $100.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4845_200304845

Then this last time I got the side kit for it. Also on sale....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4847_200304847

I got them both for abt what the canopy alone usually runs.

I put it all together then run self drilling screws into the rafter poles to make them a 1 piece section to make assembly a little easier.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote