ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Fletch711
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smokers for Competition advice

I'm slightly embarrassed to post this, but here it goes. I plan on entering a small contest down here next March (yeah I'm way ahead of the game). Anyway, I am going to need to expand to some more smokers and want to get used to them prior to a competition.

I'm thinking of purchasing a BWS Chubby and bringing out my two Cypress Ceramics via a small Uhaul style trailer.

My main question is do you think I would do better spending a little more and buying a trailer unit? My main issue with a large trailer is I won't be able to cook on it often, and I think the BWS is small enough for the patio and combined with the others should give me enough cooking space to cook in two categories.

While I'm in it for the fun, I don't want to be laughed at. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

-- Fletch.
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe[/COLOR]
[/COLOR] [SIZE=1]
[SIZE=2]"Oh Lord please don't burn us don't kill or toast your flock Don't put us on the barbecue or simmer us in stock, Don't bake or baste or boil us or stir-fry us in a wok”[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/SIZE]
Fletch711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I wouldn't worry a bit about what others think of your cookers. The proof is in the cooking. We walked our first time out with 2 drums, a WSM and a kettle. Got a 9th brisket. Let them laugh.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I would not advise buying a big smoker now for a competition next March, and I definitely wouldn't recommend a trailer unit for competition. With two Cypress grills, I would think you could cook two categories pretty easily unless one of them is moose. Identify how much food you want to cook and what your timeline is, and then plan accordingly. There are a lot of good cooks who win on WSMs and drums. This isn't to say that there's anything wrong with a Chubby, but before you drop a grand on one, I'd make sure that you need it. At that price point, I'd also check out the Onyx Oven. Good luck!

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

^^^^^^^^^
what he said.. high end smokers dont win competitions, cooks do. A BWS is great, but get it if you want it in general, not just for a comp.. u can win a competition on a couple smokey mountains.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Got some good advise

Unread 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

I am in the other camp, if it was me and i was buying id look for a big enough cooker to cut down having to bring 2 other cookers, extended party, fatboy, gater. I know they cost more, but their are reasons winning teams like them.

they are also great for the patio, but i do agree with others only get one if you want it besides comps. you cant beat having capasity when you need it....
Stumps Platinum 5 on a porch trailer
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Uuni pellet fired pizza oven
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I have a BWS and like it. I also have a WSM and like it. If I bought the WSM prior to buying the BWS, I wouldn't own a BWS. I'd own a WSM 18 and a WSM 22.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Go with the WSM, easy to use and a good smoker to learn on.

JMHO....

Unread 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

We did a unsanctioned event last weekend for our first comp. Gonna do a full KCBS event next year, and will be using WSM's. They are nice because they are pretty easy to move around because they break down into 3 pieces. WE have a 22" and are looking to get one or two 18" cookers too..
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it were me, I'd make sure that whatever smoker I used, I knew it well and could control the results. Furthermore, I would be darn sure it could go 6-8 hours unattended soze I could get some shut eye.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Spicewine medium is excellent for competition with a maze and ball drain valve for air intake. Can do everything on one and still have a great backyard cooker for family events.