The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
billgailey
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Legal or not

With all the discussions about how you trim your ribs, hollywood cut or competition cut, meat up or meat down, sauced before cutting or sauced after cutting I was just curious if it is legal to slice the ribs before cooking. I have not found anything in the KCBS rules that prohibits you from doing that. As long as each rib has its own bone it seems to me to be legal. Whether it would make sense from a cooking standpoint is a whole other discussion. I guess you could say this is sorta like the chicken category in that you can cook the thing whole or in parts just depends on your skill set...
billgailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Legal but crazy

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
bbq.tom
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

I've never heard anything against cooking the ribs separately, but why would you want to? Seems like you are increasing the amount of work exponentially!!!! PLUS, how would you be able to ensure the six you put in the box are pretty much the same unless you try to keep each rack together anyway.
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

The very simple answer to your question is yes. It is legal to part, slice, pull, except ribs which must have a bone attached which is referring to the pulling aspect only, all meats, with the exception of the pork butt, prior to cooking. Why you would want too is another question as you alluded.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

There is a "country" way of fixing ribs (I'm not referring to "country style ribs" which are not really ribs) that involves slicing them before cooking, marinating them in a thin, vinegary sauce, basically "grilling" them until done, then returning them to the sauce (heated) for the finish. I've had these a couple of times and they are okay but nowhere near the taste and texture experience of a good KCBS competition rib. They get pretty "soupy" and taste mostly like the sauce.

Previous posters are correct, there is no rule against cutting prior to cooking. If you can do it and still produce an eye-catching rib that isn't overcooked and has good flavor balance (combo of meat, smoke, rub, sauce, etc.) then go for it!

Hub
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'll agree with Ford on this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
. . . then returning them to the sauce (heated) for the finish. Hub

If you've got the ribs in the sauce, make sure that any heat applied is from wood, charcoal, etc. If you heat just the sauce without the ribs anything goes.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote