The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Feeling overwhelmed

First comp ever is this weekend. I have my list of things I need and have started packing. The more I pack the more overwhelmed I feel going into this weekend. Still have to buy a few odds and ends. Go buy meat tomorrow.....Do the veterans still get this feeling? Looking forward to meeting new people and starting my "career" in competition BBQ.

Unread 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

YUP, 49 contests down, and still feel overwhelmed, since I have to get everything togehter myself. I always ask myself why I still do this. Lots to do. Just make a list. I spread my stuff out.. go to the grocery for odds-ends on monday, tuesday get meats, wednesday trim chicken, thursday leave.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

I'm on my 3rd comp in late June, but it does get alittle easier after the 1st because you know alittle of what to bring and expect. Make a list. Have a blast. Remember. You are doing it to have fun.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
YUP, 49 contests down, and still feel overwhelmed, since I have to get everything togehter myself. I always ask myself why I still do this. Lots to do. Just make a list. I spread my stuff out.. go to the grocery for odds-ends on monday, tuesday get meats, wednesday trim chicken, thursday leave.
Completely agree with everything here. Every week I'm getting ready for a comp I swear I'm quitting next year because I don't have time. The hardest part for me is getting quality meat. Lately I've been trimming most of my meat on-site because I get it on the way to the competition. Not a good strategy, but the most efficient and only option at times.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

just have fun, if something goes wrong it goes wrong. Enjoy what you are doing and dont be afraid to let people know this is your first contest. Attend the cooks meeting!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
K-Train
is one Smokin' Farker

Keep track of things you brought that you didn't really need. Will make packing for the next one easier.
WSM 22.5
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Lists are great. Also if you haven't make sure you check out how close the local grocery and hardware stores are in case you forget anything. Let those ease some of the nerves that life will end if you forget something. I've never had a store far from the competition. Plus teams always have extra stuff. I always forget a hammer to nail in canopy ties, but someone always has one and paper towels I always forget, but have had many teams share.

So really I have 2 lists. One has all the basic necessities I could get at any grocery/hardware store like apple juice, paper towels, water, honey, etc. Then my 2nd list is the "don't forget these ingredients as you can't get them at any grocery store" list and that has some stuff I get online or specialty stores. The 2nd list is checked the night before and also triple checked before I leave.

I have my 4th comp of the year this weekend and while I would say I don't really get nervous/overwhelmed anymore, but I do get just as excited each time. Have fun!
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with K-Train. Use a checklist. I did my first comp, albeit it was only a rib only cook off, but still, my teammate and I treated it like we were goign to be doing a full comp, and did everything by the KCBS book, instead of the things they told us we could do since it was unsanctioned. I wanted to have it feel as close to a KCBS cook as possible. The checklist helped, as did the timeline! I was much less nervous... Also, I had asked something similar about two weeks ago, and someone reminded me that you are just cooking, and to focus on that.

Take deep breaths, and remember to enjoy yourself. That is why you are there!! oh, and don't forget to post pictures after the fact, so we can all drool over the results!
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Have Fun ?!?!?.. I can do a lot more funner things for $800-$1,000 than BBQ competitions ! :).. I do it because I enjoy it, and I love competition and see how I can improve. It ain't fun to me.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Just finished my second one. Checklists are very important. You work so hard all week to prepare no way your sharp enough to remember everything. I still go back for stuff 5 times even with a list.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
Genesis 3 Gasser
Bradley
Bisquette Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
Cast Iron Chef is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Don't bring the entire kitchen.

Here's some main items-

Knives- 1 large chef's knife, 1 smaller trim/boning type knife
Scissors
Tongs
Spatula(s)
Basting brush
Brown Jersey gloves
Nitrile/Latex Gloves
Dish Soap & Handwash soap
Cutting boards - 2 or 3
Alum Foil, Foil pans
Zip lock bags
Paper towels
Q-tips

Use the latex gloves over the brown gloves for hot meat handling.

That list is compact and should get you through 95% of your prep, cooking and boxing.

Rubs, Sauces, Juices, Charcoal, smoke wood, meat and personal food and drinks should compile the other major part of your stuff.

Don't worry about everything. Make a list, check it off and if you forget something, don't be afraid of asking teams to borrow. We've borrowed and loaned and gave away stuff.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Scottie
Babbling Farker

I used to cook over 25 contests a year, now down to 15. I do everything solo. I also work full time, run a foundation and also raising 2 young girls on my own. Is it overwhelming sometimes? Yeah, I guess if i allow it to get me, then I am screwed. Stay focused and your eye on the prize. That's what wake the rewards so much better.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Market Hunter
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I used to cook over 25 contests a year, now down to 15. I do everything solo. I also work full time, run a foundation and also raising 2 young girls on my own.
You may have already heard this...but..."Awesome work Scottie!"

Unread 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
didisea
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Here is the link to the PNWBA's checklist. I still use this to make sure that I have everything loaded.
Just remember that everyone else at the competition puts on their underwear just like you do, and they all have jobs, lives, and stress just like you do.
Something WILL come up during the competition, and the people who remain calm and solve the problem will do well in the end. Ask for help of your fellow brothers and sisters in Q, and they usually gladly help you with anything you need.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
First comp ever is this weekend. I have my list of things I need and have started packing. The more I pack the more overwhelmed I feel going into this weekend. Still have to buy a few odds and ends. Go buy meat tomorrow.....Do the veterans still get this feeling? Looking forward to meeting new people and starting my "career" in competition BBQ.
Things can get easier over time as you refine your method of madness. However, worrying about forgetting things and running out of time to get things prepped never goes away.