The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How to cut spares straight?

On occassion, I have had a problem when cooking spares for a comp. The bones within the racks start off straight but become crescent shaped during the cook. This makes it very hard to cut straight consistent ribs for turn-in. Any tips you may have are greatly appreciated.

Unread 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

I have had the same problems and would love to know too.. I tend to have problems where the ribs are reasonably "square" but after the cook, the meat hadn't pulled back evenly, so one end has a bit of an angle to it too...
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Start to cheat your knife so that your cuts are straight even though the bone may be running corner to corner on your rib. Baby backs are notorious for curving once you get past the 5th rib. Start with your straight ribs and then keep that line as you move down the rack. Sometimes the top of your knife is against one rib and the bottom is against another rib. It makes the cuts look clean.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Smilin' Santa's BBQ
Got Wood.

Keeping your center line is good advice, another thing that really helped me, and you may already do this, is cutting them on the board upside down, you can see the bones better and if you mess up and had to use one, your of cut could be unnoticed from the to view. That advice seems elementary but I admittedly did not do it until I read it and then I thought, why didn't I always do that

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Smilin' Santa's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->