The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-13-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Suggestions for last weekend before the AR...

OK guys... need some advice: I've been considering going to Herman to observe some of the Brethren, learn more and offer my assistance if anyone is shorthanded. But I also discussed with my team doing a complete five category (incl sausage) run-through Friday night and Saturday morning at the house, keeping on schedule and doing boxes and the whole nine yards. At this point, I'm thinking doing the run through might benefit us more. What do you think?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

"Practice makes perfect"

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
jt
Babbling Farker

Haven't competed but it seems tome the practice would be extremely beneficial. That way you could see where any hangups are.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Don't forget to practice partying too.

:)

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Practice at home. Complete run through. Timing is very important. While observing can cut significant time off of the learning curve. at this late date, practice is more important. Just my opinion . . .

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Thanks. Good points. That's kinda what I figured but I know how everyone believes in observing and asking questions.

Oh and Bill, I'm not partying. I'm going to farkin' walk! Last weekend, I had two beers and about three 'ritas with the Meatheads and felt like ass on Sautrday morning. That means I'm sipping on my homebrew off and on Friday and no ta-kill-ya!
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 09-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
parrothead

3 choices
1 do a practice run through

2 go to that competition and observe/help/learn

3 take the weekend off and put q out of your head. It might just be the thing to do.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

Hadn't thought of #3 Greg... Q out of my head?? Are you farkin' nuts?
Seriously I would consider that if I'd cooked on a Good-One smoker before. That weekend will probably be my only chance to get familiar with it. It belongs to my teammate and he's pretty good with it but I want to get knowledgeable/comfortable with it too since we're dropping all our brisket hopes on this smoker! I guess I just answered my question with that... probably better to do a run-through rather than just messing with the Good-One on Sunday.
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 09-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
icemn62
Babbling Farker

If you are going to practice, then do it right. Load the cooker on a trailer and pull it around the block. Also have all your gear loaded on the trailer as well. Pull into the yard as would the royal. Use only the stuff you brought on the truck with you. nothing from the house. Then you will have a true idea of what it will be like. That way you will have an idea of what you are forgetting to pack. Don't forget matches. I once was going to do some ribs, and wasted 45 mins trying to find a lighter, or matches to start the fire.

BTW I have never competed, but just the way my mind works. If you are going to practice, then practice for real.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpellethead
Practice at home. Complete run through. Timing is very important. While observing can cut significant time off of the learning curve. at this late date, practice is more important. Just my opinion . . .
Must agree with my learned brother, Rod, here. He does about 20 events a year, so he knows what he is talking about. Timing is maybe the most important issue here. The clock is the one thing that you have no control over.

Now if it were me, I would have worked this all out weeks of even months in advance, and taken the weekend off and go play golf.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #11
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpellethead
Must agree with my learned brother, Rod, here. He does about 20 events a year, so he knows what he is talking about. Timing is maybe the most important issue here. The clock is the one thing that you have no control over.

Now if it were me, I would have worked this all out weeks of even months in advance, and taken the weekend off and go play golf.
That sounds like a good plan... except Labor Day wekend's three rounds of golf left me with tendonitis in my right elbow/forearm and it's sore as hell! No golf until that heals.
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 09-13-2005, 05:50 PM   #12
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
But I also discussed with my team doing a complete five category (incl sausage) run-through Friday night and Saturday morning at the house, keeping on schedule and doing boxes and the whole nine yards. At this point, I'm thinking doing the run through might benefit us more. What do you think?
That's what I was thinking of doing before my first time out. This way if you forget something, the house is right there and you can add it to the "checklist".

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #13
chad

Actually, you cook without it or penalize yourself the time it would take to "fix" the problem. That way you damn well won't forget it for the contest.

A run through with the stuff in the house/garage/etc. isn't a good test of your checklist or preparation.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC

Trust me... I won't forget a damned thing! I ALWAYS take everything but the kitchen sink and for this, I'll probably take that too. Hunting, fishing, camping, whatever... I always overpack. I'm not worried about forgetting a thing at contests.
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 09-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #15
parrothead

Quote:
penalize yourself
That is what you should spend the weekend doing.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote