Comp Style Pork Butt for the Backyard Cook

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
I BBQ'd a pork butt today for a friend. I wanted it to be special and as close to competition style as possible. Cooking pork butt in competition is a labor intensive and expensive endeavor. So, I wondered if I could do a comp style butt in the backyard but make it easy, less expensive, and less labor intensive. Here is what I did.

I started with an 8 pound pork butt.

picture.php

Now, here is a pic of the "Money muscle." It's actually a neck muscle in the shoulder that is much like the loin.

picture.php

When cooking a KCBS comp, you have to cook the pork butt whole (not "parted"). You can't cut it into pieces. But, I'm cooking at home in my backyard. KCBS who? I "Parted" the MM from the butt as shown.

picture.php

I rubbed the pork butt with rub. Use whatever you like.

picture.php

I cooked both pieces at about 300F for about 3 hours. After 3 hours, I wrapped in foil. The money muscle was done in about 4 hours total after it reached an internal temp of 200F.

picture.php

The rest of the butt was done when it reached an internal temp of about 203 to 205F.

Here are the results. Competition style pork butt from the backyard. I sliced the MM into medallions and pulled the rest. Now, this is a special BBQ'd pork butt.

picture.php

Beautiful! Do you find it makes a big difference separating the MM? I never tried.

It takes all of the complications out of getting comp style pork. So I think it's a great alternative. The MM is a great cut of meat.

Oops, I meant whether or not you find the MM cooks better separated. I've seen some people separate like yourself and others that cook it whole and remove the MM after cooking.

Oops, I meant whether or not you find the MM cooks better separated. I've seen some people separate like yourself and others that cook it whole and remove the MM after cooking.

The MM cooks quicker than the rest of the butt. So, if you want to serve the MM as pictured, it makes things easier to separate the parts.

WOW that's once great looking butt! Great layout on the mm and its location. The finished produce is amazing looking and tasting I bet!

This is a difinately got to try this method!

Thank you

Back