The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #76
qman
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Congrats to all, way to go.

Unread 11-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #77
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

We had a great time. Good to see everyone, and congrats to all.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #78
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Way to go brothers! We are proud once again.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 05:39 AM   #79
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Southern Brethren got 8th in ribs and 2nd in brisket, 12th in pork, 11th in chicken- 3rd overall

There ya go! Excellent job! I knew you old farts (coming from an old fart) had it in ya!

A 3rd-4th-5th by the brothers is very respectable!! Congrats to all the brothers!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #80
chad

This was a first year event and the Chamber and sponsors did a great job of pulling it off in spite of having Hurricane Wilma visit two weeks ago! Jane Van Fleet was the coordinator and she's probably NOT going into work today - she did an outstanding job!!

We drove down Thursday and got there around dark - thanks to Miami metro traffic!! We just set up the trailer and dry camped in the Chamber parking lot - sat out under the stars and had a brew or three - nice breeze and no bugs.

Got the the park about 9:30 Friday and started setting up - nice sized sites with parking for our vehicles - that was wonderful. Oh yeah, free ice delivered to the sites - a really nice touch.

We were across from DrBBQ and next to Smokin' Cracker. It was great to be near them but we all took care of business and then visited some.

Ray, it was great to finally meet you. Thanks for the reality checks and suggestions for improvement! Thanks too for the encouragement and being a great ambassador bbq.

Jimmy and Doug - what a weekend! Between walking for some trophies and hanging at the Sheraton bar - well, it was a cook off to remember! Too bad the DJ didn't play any music Doug liked!

I'm thinking that this event is going to grow - we're sure going to try and get back down there next year.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Last edited by chad; 11-07-2005 at 07:39 AM..
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #81
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Key Largo was Fun

Had a good time in Key Largo

Yes that is the Atlantic Ocean in the back ground.
The water was less than 50 yards away.

Yes Tim always looks that grumpy.
left-right Tim, Doug, Jimmy, Dave

Phil cooked for us Friday night using the Dave's rig...great food...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key Largo Cook Site.jpg (100.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Tim, Doug, Jimmy, Dave.jpg (111.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Prime Rib.jpg (61.6 KB, 105 views)
EXPERT IN CRACKERESE
Spicewine Smoker Sales Southeast 863-381-1530
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #82
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Great showing by the FloFo's. Congrats!!!
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #83
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Way to go, guys! Sounds like it was a great weekend.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #84
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Oh yeah, that prime rib was goood! It was about my third dinner that night, but I couldn't pass it up.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #85
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
Oh yeah, that prime rib was goood! It was about my third dinner that night, but I couldn't pass it up.
Hehehe, guess who's got the leftover prime rib in the fridge?! It's going to be the guest of honor at dinner tonight! I did let Tim take a piece home, too, so I'm guessing there'll be rejoicing in N. FL tonight, too.

You know Phil has shown up at a cookoff when you take home almost as much raw food as you brought! I brough home sausange patties, two fatties (cooked and not touched), Johnsonville breakfast links, a rather interesting pork chop/pork loin combo (may get cooked this weekend), etc. etc. etc. We tried to convince Phil to take some back to NY but figured his suitcase would leak!! Phil even stocked up his Mom's BBQ supply with ribs and chicken - I had the Kingfisher running most of the late afternoon and night on Friday. We consumed: cheesy bread, sausage stuffed bacon wrapped peppers, bacon wrapped sausage (also know as heart attack on a plate!), biscuits, the prime rib, some of Tim's "killer beans", and who knows how much other stuff. And remember, THIS WAS FRIDAY!!

Bill & Nina (Bill & the Dixie Chicks) picked up GC at this thing and they flat put the hurt on everyone. Firehouse picked up Reserve and did a great job. There was about a 15 point spread between GC and Reserve, and then 14 points between Resever and us -- then about 10 points amongst the spread for the remaining top 10. Good overall scoring and a definitive will for Bill and Nina.

A lot of the teams were very consistent - when they announced each catagory it sounded like they were reading from the same list each time. We are very pleased that we walked due to our ribs and brisket.

Great venue, great competion, great weather, and superb organization made the Great Key Largo BBQ Championship a success.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Unread 11-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #86
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=chad]

Bill & Nina (Bill & the Dixie Chicks) picked up GC at this thing and they flat put the hurt on everyone. Firehouse picked up Reserve and did a great job. There was about a 15 point spread between GC and Reserve, and then 14 points between Resever and us -- then about 10 points amongst the spread for the remaining top 10. Good overall scoring and a definitive will for Bill and Nina.

Bill, Nina & friends celebrating a decisive win! Congrats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill Dixie Chicks.jpg (74.4 KB, 65 views)
EXPERT IN CRACKERESE
Spicewine Smoker Sales Southeast 863-381-1530
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #87
chad

Bill and Nina are in the black shirts!

I saw Bill Sunday morning as we were packing up - he was walking SLOWLY around with his coffee cup. I congratulated him again and he said something along the line of "yeah, it was a pretty good weekend!" (Bill is a master of understatement!). He also said he'd quit drinking about 6 months ago but decided to have "one" Saturday night...he then said that Sunday morning was reminding him why he quit!!

Unread 11-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #88
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

Next year More Brother's will have to attend this florida cook off. sounds like it was way fun. congrats to all
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #89
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I am home- finally. Tired.

Jimmy, I am not GRUMPY (at least not all of the time)
I was, and still am, in shock.
BTW----Y'all should know that Jimmy is one of the "funniest" human beings on this earth--so yeah, I guess he would consider me 'grumpy" by comparison

So much stuff came together for Dave and me this weekend.
Lots of lessons learned (thank you Ray) and some of those thoughts will be sorted out and posted later. I want all of us to learn from the experience, but it will take a bit to post it.

Our team goal now is "consistancy" and "fine tuning" the product.
We dropped the ball on our chicken (our best meat normally), we have "not a clue" on our pork, we actually cooked "competetion level" ribs for once, and our brisket rocked (and it was not an accident--good training by Ray and Myron Mixon was the key there).

By getting back to the basics on some stuff, we finally have some "kinda" validated confidence in our ability for the first time since we started.

Chad and Jimmy said it earlier--great event, great times, and we will do it again if we can.

Also, the point spread from us at 3rd to 10th was only 10 points or so (working from memory here), That is a "fly speck" on a judges score sheet and I actually consider the finishing order to be random and a matter of luck (not that I won't accept it). But nothing decisive other than the point spread for Bill and Nina as Grand and Firehouse as Reserve--they dominated and had their act together--Great Job

More later when I gather my thoughts and catch up on 93 (!) posts!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.

Last edited by kapndsl; 11-07-2005 at 10:26 PM..
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #90
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Well,

Chad is a star now--
Ain't gonna be any livin' with him

http://www.keynoter.com/articles/200...ving/liv01.txt

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640