oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Blue Springs, Missouri BBQ Blaze-Off

Gonna head out soon to go visit Wayne and the MoKan Meatheads and try to learn a thing or two (including how to build that 'rita machine!). Hope they got the MOFO MOJO goin' on! This is a pretty nice contest, the second or third oldest in the area behind the AR and Lenexa, KS. I believe I read 70 teams are cooking and pay outs are pretty decent size! Good luck, Meatheads!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Jeff_in_KC

Default RE: Blue Springs, Missouri BBQ Blaze-Off

Wayne sends his best! Great bunch of guys on his team... and the 'rita machine was the hit of the party. There seem to be a lot of backyard type teams there but some seriously experienced folks too. I'm heading back in the morning to observe all I can and take in as much of an education as possible. Here's hopin' the Meatheads walk the stage!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #3
Bigdog

Wayne and the boys are good guys. Tell them Bigdog says hey.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC

Unfortunately I had to leave before turn-ins due to my daughter's first ever soccer game so I didn't see start to finish but I got a ton of great help and assistance from Wayne and the boys from the MoKan Meatheads! Thanks to them for their hospitality and advice! And a BIG TIME bonus... Lana from Squeal of Approval was there and I learned a lot about turn-in box prep and watched her set some up. The Squeal is in the finals of the OLN BBQ championship. I know the results but can't say... tune in tonight at 9pm Central for that final contest.

Anyway, hoping to hear the results of the Blue Springs Blaze Off later this afternoon. The Meatheads definitely seemed to have the MOFO MOJO goin' on today!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Well...if it would have been good news I would have posted during the weekend. The judges definately did not like our stuff at Blue Springs. Place 35th out of 77 overll. Best showing was a 14th in pork and a 23rd in ribs. Our chicken which we have been doing very well with this year came in a very disappointing 40th. The brisket pulled up the rear with a 66th place - don't know what happened there!!

Oh well on to Herman.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead
The judges definately did not like our stuff at Blue Springs. Place 35th out of 77 overll.
Some people just don't know what good food is let alone good Q.
My mother-in-law was a very colorful person who would often say, "some people have taste for sh*t and others eat it!"

Like you said Meathead, on to Herman.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Don't worry, you will probaly walk the stage at your next comp. 1st in ribs, 1st in prok, 2nd in brisket. go get it next time.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Don't worry, you will probaly walk the stage at your next comp. 1st in ribs, 1st in prok, 2nd in brisket. go get it next time.
I sure hope not!! I will be there and would really like to win something

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

Dang, guys, Sept 24 is my birthday so I may just have to tell the wife I wanna go to Herman for the weekend to hang with the Brethren! :D

Wayne, I have no idea what the judges must have been thinking either! I thought your boxes looked nice before I had to go... and I thought your brisket rocked! Which one did you end up going with? The smaller slices definitely had more smoked flavor but weren't as moist as the longer slices from the second brisket Ron cut into! And your chicken looked awesome when you sauced it and put it in the smoker. I tried the same process yesterday (you might have seen my results... got the skin too dark after it being perfect until the last ten minutes on the kettle) and I liked it. I accidently grabbed the bag of apple chips rather than cherry chips and didn't realize it until I already had then on the coals. I liked the flavor a lot but I'm gonna do them with cherry tonight if I have time to see the difference.

Anyway, you guys gave it a hell of an effort, that's for sure! See ya soon!
KCBS Member #14287